Check engine light | FerrariChat

Check engine light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ROCKY1634, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    recently I changed all four oxygen sensors on my 1997 355 spyder, I am now getting a low voltage indication on all four sensors (this is from my code reader), a low voltage means that the exhaust is giving a lean signal to the ecu. any suggestions where I should look to correct the problem? I can erase the codes and make the light go out but it will come back in a couple of days.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Why did you change the 4 in the first place? You probably don't have 50k miles on the car. Did you have the mil before the replacements?

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What model code reader do you have? I had a check engine light come on in my 355 spider as well with no issues except the light. It went away on its own and hasn't reapeared but I would like to get a code reader in case it comes back.

4. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003

5. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    The code reader that I have was purchased at Kragen Auto, it is an INNOVA model 3100 and cost approx. 130 dollars. It will read generic codes as well as mfg. specific codes.

6. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Not Ferrari specific ones...

Did you check that the cat converters were working or even there??
    Most likely your cats are bad or have broken apart.

7. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Diablo;
    the innova 3100 will give P1XXX codes (mfg. specific) as well as P0XXX codes(generic). as to the cats on the car, they are there and both working, the car passed Ca. smog test two months ago. The reader is telling me that the voltage level is to low, on all four cats, thus the ckeck engine light comes on.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I suggest taking a look at the actual sinusoidal output of the lambda sensors (pre-cat, that is), and verify that post-cat the output is fairly horizontal. Pre-cat signal should cycle about 0.5 to 1.5 times per second.

Bad ground is my first thought, pin connectors next.

Use a multi-meter that can show waveforms or an oscilloscope (my preference).

Any other codes? What started the whole program?

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

9. toy911

toy911 Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia

****they just need cleaning....i had the same prob....

10. toy911

toy911 Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    I know this is a common problem....I have seen it in nearly all 355's.....the sticker around the air con controls of my 355 spider is bubbling.....has anyone found a way that this can be repaid....the replacement is a killer...and it will happen again

11. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    I have the same problem on my 355, Iam hoping that someone comes out with a carbon fibre panel in the not to distant future, there are panels avail. for 348.
    noticed the picture of your 355 spyder, how come there are no front side marker lights? my 1997 spyder is the same way I just thought someone filled them in, can't believe they came that way.
    regards

12. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm not sure just what you mean by they just need cleaning, are you saying the sensors need cleaning or the cats need cleaning?
    regards

13. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Rob;

the reason that I replaced the O2 sensors in the first place was that the code reader gave me a P0432 and P0422 reading (main cat efficiency below threshold bank 1 & 2). these codes went away when the O2 sensors were replaced. now I get four different codes,P0131, P0151, Po137 & P0157 which refer to low voltage on all four sensors. Not having a wiring diagram how do I check the grounds, I have checked and lubricated all the connectors?

14. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Do you really know what you are looking at??
    Not to upset you, but you do know that an O2 sensor creates voltage,right??

If you are running too rich the amount of oxygen is less,thus lower voltage.

As for manufactur spec codes, ferrari doesn't even use them. They will have to on the 2006 cars, but as for the 1996 and up they just guide you in the general direction.

As I stated before, check your pre and post cat readings with a gas analyzer.
    If the readings are the same, your cats are not working,thus causing the check engine.

Good Luck to you.

15. toy911

toy911 Rookie

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia

Just the cats....very rare do they fail.....although they will tell you they do....they told me mine were faulty.....12 months after they were cleaned....no prob...car runs like a dream