High Altitude = Loss of Performance? | FerrariChat

High Altitude = Loss of Performance?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by jeff, Apr 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Is there any loss of performance or horsepower in high altitude regions?

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Yes.

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The rule of thumb is 3% loss for every 1000 feet in elevation. Unless you run some boost of course ;^)

4. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Thanks guys. I was thinking about moving to Denver and bringing my 360. The loss of performance is disappointing. I may just sell the car.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Even in Denver, you still have a 360. Every car on the road (without super or turbo charging) feels the loss. It will lose some, but still a quick car not worth selling. I have only had my 328 here in Colorado. It feels quick, but I can't wait to take it home to Alaska at sea level.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Don't sell it. It will still perform pretty nicely. The difference isn't that big on a modern FI car. FI motorcycles and carbureted vehicles feel the difference a little more.

7. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Well, I don't know with my twin turbo !!! I can't wait the Players Run at 12 000 feet to see if the LM is slower... hehehehe !!!
    Don't sell your car, the small lost of power is compensated by our UMBELIEVABLE roads...
    Take care
    Roland
    F40lm

8. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Roland
    .....compensated by our UMBELIEVABLE roads...

I was only in Denver for a short week but I didn't see any good roads. I 25 was constantly grid locked and 470 had many pot holes. Where can I enjoy good roads?
    Also, is Castle Pines Village a decent place to live? The real estate agent kept chanting location, location, location, the village, the village, the village.

9. Roland E Linder

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello Jeff,
    When I'm talking about roads, I'm away from Interstate etc..We are talking
    mountains roads, canyons and they are in great shape and super fun to run
    on them..You even can get into speed. The back roads are fun and not much traffic..You'll tell us later how much you enjoy driving here.
    Let us know when you'll arrive so we could give you a warm welcome.
    Good luck
    Roland
    F40LM

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Turbo cars do better in higher altitude. There is a drop in hp bcus there are less Ox molecules present in a given portion of air than there is at a lower level. This is also why if you climb stairs at 10,000ft + you tire very fast.

Turbos were originally designed for airplane engines to make up for hp loss at altitude

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Oh my, let me second AND third the recommendation that you not sell the car due to altitude power loss.

1. Climbing those mountain roads, you need lots of power! And given the altitude costs you some, you need even more powerful cars up there!!
    2. Given the stunning mountain roads you'll have easy access to, you also want a great-handling car!

The only reason to sell the 360 is if you decide to get an uglier (but still great) sportscar, because the roads tend to be "dirty" and chew up the paint on the nose of the car (Stongard is an alternative), and use the extra money to add a good 4WD vehicle to your garage, for snow driving and off-roading.

The big cities in CO are built on the plains at the edge of the mountains... the plains are ugly, but have a nice view and are a short drive to stunning beauty. Even I-70, from the west edge of Denver through to Vail, is a fabulous drive... lots of twisties and beautiful mountains, canyons, and rivers. But the real gems are the roads that break off left and right of I-70.

Oh, and did I mention that CO has many 75mph speed limits?

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If anyone wants to come up here, I'll show you a 100 mile mountian trip up Golden Gate Canyon, Peak to Peak Hwy, down to Evergreen and down Morrison Canyon. Don't have any loose objects in your car!!

13. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It would be worth keeping the 360 just to drive Independance Pass into Aspen when the leaves are changing.....

keep it dude...

14. Roland E Linder

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    William and Brian are to smart for me but they totaly right...And Ryan tell the true about amazing roads.I wil do the Players Run from Denver to Aspen going up the Trailridge road (12000 feet) back to Independance pass and Aspen. Go beat roads like that. The LM will do just fine and who cares for a little paint chip in the nose. That can be painted again and again..
    We got roads and plenty of them for any F car !
    Roland
    F40LM

15. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Ok, Ok, you guys convinced me :) I'll bring my 360 with me. Does anyone have an opinion on Castle Pines Village as a place to live?

16. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    That depends on whether you play golf or not....

17. Roland E Linder

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello Jeff,
    We will not hold that against you if you live down there !!! No, it's a real nice place to be, in fact, one of the nicest.
    We sure hope to have a chance to see you when you're in Col. Check with us how to join our club so you could drive with us. When are you moving ??
    Take care
    Roland
    F40LM

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

IMHO, it's not nearly as nice as living in town but to each his/her own. It's still a nice place.

19. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    The builder said it would take a year to get the house built. But I plan to arrive in Denver much sooner. It's always fun watching a house go up. Right now I'm in Scottsdale and the heat is starting. I refuse to spend another summer here. I've met Bill Orth at Ferrari of Denver and hope he'll provide me with all the information I need to join the club. I just need to find a way to transport the Ferrari to Denver. There's been plenty of threads on this subject so I hope it won't be too difficult. I'm looking forward to meeting the club members.

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jeff,
    I live near Castle Pines. It's very upscale and pretty but not my cup of tea. (I prefer lots of acreage). If you are coming to the area, contact me @[email protected]. I would be happy to show you some terrific cruising roads in the neighborhood and perhaps some subdivisions your agent may not know about. Lots of Fcar people in the area. Bill Orth lives near me as well. You will notice a power drop, but you get used to it. Everything is relative. Besides, this is the only place in the world you can drive your Fcar to 14,000 ft!

Dave

21. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You will lose about 20% of your power here in town but as the others have stated ... the roads are absolutely worth it!!! I live close to Castle Pines and am debating on building a new home there as well. Great area but not real large lots.

Where are the larger lots ... with decent views???

22. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Large and decent are subjective. The house I'm buying is on a 30,000sq ft. lot. This is large to me because I lived on 7000 sq ft lots in calif. I don't know what kind of view I will have after all the other houses are built. But the house is sitting on top of Castle Pines Village. I can't go much higher unless I choose a different area.

23. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I am looking for something in the 5 to 10 Acre range. Closer to the hills and still within striking range, (wife and three daughters), of a large mall/shopping.

24. Roland E Linder

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I have 427 acres in Castle Rock..Any takers ???It's just before Franktown..
    We could make a track between lots...
    Roland
    F40LM

25. No Mercy

No Mercy Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Lone Tree, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll take about 5 of those. I'll also have fun with the private track ...