F40 V Porsche GT2 | FerrariChat

F40 V Porsche GT2

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This is interesting. These cars have roughly the same hp. The new 04 GT2 has 477 hp. I think the GT2 is a little porkier than the F40. The GT2 can be boosted to almost 700 hp, about the same as an F40LM. Has any1 driven both ?

Is Bill Hart around here to clue us in a little better ?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This is a good question for Roland.

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Unfortunately, i have not yet driven an F-40. I would gladly provide the GT-2 for real world testing/driving comparisons if someone has an F-40 to contribute. I do have the impression that the F-40 is a bit binary in the transition between off and on boost, but maybe that can be improved with mechanical/electronic changes.
    The GT-2 was, to me, also very binary at first. I made a few changes, including the air cleaner (and will eventually change the air box itself, that's the beauty of the P car- the thing is designed for aftermarket improvements and there are plenty of them), the exhaust and cats. The combination, with no engine remapping, puts the car into boost much quicker, so you don't have this on/off aspect to driving it. The GT-2 is shy of 3,000 lbs, but it would be pretty easy to shave weight; chuck the cup holder :), the CD storage tray, the friggin' radio, get lighter wheels, dump the stock exhaust , the stock seats with their electric adjustments, etc. Compared to the 12 cyl. Ferraris, the GT-2 feels like a small car.

4. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    I have driven BOTH.

And I tell you the difference is small - the F40 IS quicker but not by much. The GT2 is DEVASTATINGLY quick. I thought the power delivery was pretty on/off but not like the F40s which is significantly less linear.
    What amazes about the GT2 is the lack of drama - the car puts on SOOO much speed in such a short space of time - without discomfort, noise, size/visibility etc etc issue.
    The F40 is the exact opposite - it assaults the driver, the controls are unassisted - the car is visceral in the extreme and with the open Tubi it's plane insane...
    The GT2 has a pretty stiff ride (read VERY stiff) but the F40 is soo light it's nose bobs up and down at low speed on surface imperfections.. both cars spin up under hard throttle in the dry if there is soo much as a crack in the road... In fact I think the GT2 has superior accelerative traction..
    Sadly I have no experience of cornering in either car at any real speed - they were both to scary.

P.S. I'd have the F40 because it's MAD. :)

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    how would they compare in track times and how about with a 360cs. i bet gt2 much faster and the 2 f's close to each other

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You can get 700 BHP out of a Turbo, so who knows what you can go with a GT2...
    Check out this one: http://hobbystage.net/porsche/buddyg/

What Porsche really need to do is build a stripped down GT2 - basically put the GT2 engine in a GT3 body.

7. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    The GT3 weighs more than a standard 911. I know what you mean, as the flagship GT2 is supposed to be a road legal race car it shouldn't weigh 1400+ kgs.

8. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Technology marches on....... On a track, I would guess the GT2 would be faster and easier to drive.
    My F40 hops around in the back a lot on rough surfaces. It also spins the tires in the top of 1st and 2nd gears on smooth surfaces.
    As far as Cool goes.... The F40 wins hands down......

Short story...... I was at a car show with about a thousand cars. There were hot rods, classics, imports, monster trucks, Motorcycles, you name it. I has driving my F40 around checking out the lay out of the show. I was waiting to turn left to go back inside and a White GT2 was waiting to turn left to come out........ Well, while he was looking right at the F40, he damn near turned left UNDER a monster truck!!!! One of the funniest things I have ever seen....

Rick

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I believe the F40 weighs in under 2700#, I'd love to drive both some day. My race 512TR weighs 2800 w 470 hp now so I imagine its similair to these 2 cars also.

The GT2 probably will kill the F40 in braking with those new ceramic rotors

10. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    The GT2 is newer than the F40...So it would be strange if he isn't faster...But it's the combination weight/power

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I wonder if anyone will bring a GT2 to Virginia City... RUF was doing well, until Amir won in his F40 (finally). That would be interesting to see.

--Dan

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Only until the rotors get hot and disintegrate. There has been a lot of problems with using these ceramics at the track; and hideous expense to put right as Porsche does not warentee these rotors at the track.

13. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yesterday I went to FoQ and guess what , I saw a GT2 in front of the dealership. Its nice!! I love the spoiler on that car and those GT2's have big fat rear tires! Looked agressive!

And then when they were closing a guy who works at Ferrari had to bring it back in the garage. He was reving that Flat-6 engine! Awesome noise!

Now about the GT2 vs F40...

GT2 has better brakes, better technology,0-60 mph: 3.6 sec and handles very very good on a race track. Okay the F40 doesn't look that impressive in the interior but I don't care (I love carbon fiber!) What about downforce? Does the GT2 make more downforce?

Anyway I would take the F40 because in my opinion its nicer, I'm sure I would have much more fun in the F40 went I'm on a race track cuz its like being in a race car. Another reason why I would take the F40 is because the Ferrari' has good throttle response , much better than the Porsche's.

14. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    STock the engine makes 428 hp. In my road car I removed the cats & added a Tubi & wrapped the intake snorkels with heat reflective material to cool off the intake & I put that on the dyno & got around 465.

The 470 hp V12 is in the race car. That has no mufflers or cats :) It also has a new Motech race ignition system. 470 was on the dyno, it might make a little more than that in the car cus the Koenig NACA ducts on top of the rear fenders act like air rams forcing in cool air from outside the engine bay. The intake snorkels have been deleted on the race 512TR. Eventually I'm hoping for around 600 hp naturally aspirated. Will definately be reinforcing the trans long before that

16. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I have a TURBO 996 with new exhaust, reprogrammed ECU, coilovers, larger sway bars, struct brace and corsas on the car, but I still long for the F40. It is, and might always be, my favorite car.

17. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I also like the TR a lot too.

18. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    How about some pics of your car CodeRed? Sounds awesome.

19. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I tried to up load them, but it says the files are too big. Any suggestions as I would be glad to share the pics.

20. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony

If you hadn't dynoed it, I would not have believed it. Wow, that's all I need to do to get 37Hp out of mine. That sounds very cool.
    So with these changes, it still runs ok on the O2? Like it's not running any leaner or anything?

21. steve2814

steve2814 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    You can email them to me and Ill shrink them down for you. [email protected]

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You would, too...

Some people on this board are unbelievably altruistic...

Hey... i have an idea... :) Let me test out both cars and i'll give a review when i'm done...! :)

Oh, wait... Manu already did that... :::grumble:::

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Interesting! I have long thought about heat shielding the 360.
    Large black metal intake boxes sitting generally over the exhaust. I've always wondered if the air moves through there fast enough that the heat doesn't matter... or if I could get some big gains with some simple heat shielding.

Any idea how much of the 37hp can be attributed to heat shielding?

24. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Somebody posted this back in the old site: It's the FoW 360GT. Note the gold colored parts.

25. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Awesome!!! Functional Bling