Tires for my 360??? | FerrariChat

Tires for my 360???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Russ Birch, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    The Pirelli PZeros are shot and its time for some new skins on the 360. I have been hearing about the new PZero Corsa, but can't seem to find it in the right size (275 40 18).

I have also heard the Yokos are real hard and that Ferrari is putting Bridgestones on the Enzo.

Who has some actual experiences they can share about tires. I want great grip and a suitable ride, but going to Hoosiers doesn't make sense to me for everyday driving.

Any help?

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Max performance: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup or Kumho ECSTA V700. Both are R-rubber... short life, not great for rain, but awesome traction, and steel belts (so suitable for street use, unlike Hoosiers).

Double the life, but still high traction: Toyo's R compound tire.

Best performance rain or shine: Bridgestone S-O3.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    As a point of reference, I am getting 5,000 miles and 17 track days on a single set of S03s!

4. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Thanks for the input. Have either of you guys heard anything about the NEW Eagle F1? I generally have had really bad results with Goodyear, but have heard that the new tire is fantastic.(Actually made in Europe)

I am leaning towards the S 03, but want to at least give a listen to comments about the new Eagle F1. (It appears to have a similar tread pattern as the Sumitomo HZR II which I have on the 911 and like.)

Thanks again!
    Russ

5. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Russ,

About three months ago i put all new Goodyear F1s on my 328. I love them, the handleing and drivability of my 328 is night and day difference with those tires. I don't drive my 328 on a track, but every day driving on the road the tires are great... But hey, anything would have been better than the tires i had previous, they were the original tires, 15 yrs old....

So there's my two cents worth...

Tod

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The new Goodyear Eagle F1 (GS-D3) is made in Germany. Has won many tech awards as well as Best Buy from CU.

I've put 16" on my 308GTB and have been very happy with them.

Goodyear is #1 in Racing!

7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Russ, I originally had Goodyear F1 Fiorano's on my 360 but they wore VERY fast. Would not buy Goodyear again. I now have Bridgestone S-02 and like them.

8. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    From all my expereicne with tires, I would have to say that Michelin Pilot Sport and Bridgestone S-03 are the best. The Michelins wear longer but do not provide the same grip level as the Bridgstone IMHO. I have also heard great things about the new Goodyears. You may want to give them a shot.

9. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Russ - I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 275/40 - ZR-18 - definitely a superior tire to the Pirellis that came with my 355 Spider. They grip like mad rain or shine. Most of the people in the Northwest region have switched to them.

10. Russ Birch

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Wow, this sucks. After an hour and a half on the phone to the local tire dealers, I am finding out that NONE of the tires I am trying to find are available here in Clearwater, FL. This is the most backwards friggin town! If I were somewhere in East Bumf*%@ I could understand, but for cyrin' out loud we have a Super Walmart and a McDonald's, so why can't I get tires for my Ferrari ?!?

The first question out of everybody's mouth is:
    "What kind of car are these going on?"
    To that I answer:
    "Well if you could just please tell me if that tire is available in that size I would appreciate it."
    5 minutes on hold and then I'm asked...
    "Have you tried Sears?"
    No, why?
    "Well they sell ALL kinds of tires."
    Aren't you guys called "TIRE KINGDOM"?????
    "Yeah but we don't stock but like regular car tires."
    Click

Next call....same friggin' thing but:
    Have you tried Tire Kingdom?
    Click

I'm not kidding.

One guy told me he could order Bridgestone S 02s for me and I COULD PAY THE SHIPPING on top of the LIST price for the special order tire sent from...TEXAS... Can you believe this? TEXAS has the tires I want but FLORIDA does not?

I should just sell the 360 and get a minivan. Everyone has tires for THOSE!

*** My rant is over...That is all.***

Time to shop online. Any reputable places you can recommend?

Russ

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Tirerack.com and bobwoodmantires.com

Tirerack has all the tires you could want, and bob woodman specializes in race/track day tires. If you're contemplating R compounds, I'd call woodman, and see what they've got for you. I'd also call tirerack, to see what you can get in a street tire, but depending on your % street driving v. track, I don't you'll see a real world gain in using R compounds on the street, at all. It'll just cost you a ton more money, unless, you're gonna use the kumho ecsta v700 which is less than most michelin street tires, but R compound.

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    RUSS

AS HUBERT STATED...WWW.TIRERACK.COM

I JUST BOUGHT SOME KUMHOS THERE, THE CHEAPEST AROUND

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My local Goodyear dealer advised me to buy my tires from Tirerack.com, bring them to him and he would mount and balance them for me.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yep, I am having new S-O3's installed on my M3 tomorrow at Firestone... but I ordered the tires from Tirerack and they are being delivered via FedEx to Firestone. Net price is $50/tire *less* than the best Firestone could do... on their own Bridgestone tires, no less! That's got to be frustrating for the Firestone stores.

I buy all my tires through Tirerack and have them direct delivered to one of their recommended installers... its the only way to go anymore.

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I ordered my Goodyear F1s from Tirerack.com, they shipped them directly to my service center that was going to mount them and balance them. Worked out very well that way...

Just find a place that will accept the tires from UPS and call you when they come in. Then just order them online, Very easy i found...

16. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Great post Russ!! I get the same stuff everywhere I go. I walk in with a belt in my hand and ask them to match it up. "What does it fit?" Who cares what it fits! Measure this one and give me one just like it! You ask for an oil filter and they want to know if your car has power door locks. I give them their own part number for brake pads and they still want to know what kind of car they are going on so they can "look it up". Aaaargh!!!! It is the same pads I bought last time!!!! This is the part number!! Please go out back and get me the box with this part number on the side!!!

17. plapham

plapham Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would suggest the Bridgestone S03 and Tirerack.com as they will ship anywhere and are priced competetively. Got them on my 355 and they are awesome!

18. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Try the SO2-A's they are much better than the SO3's. Much more aggresive, but still decent in the rain.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The Toyo Proxes RA-1 is hard to beat for wear and grip if you plan to do some track events. The new Pilot Sport 2, developed for the Porsche GT2 and GT3, is supposed to be great also, but I have no personal experience. The Continental ContiSport 2 is also a very nice tire.

Gary