My Life Is Completely Different... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Life Is Completely Different...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, everyone... This really is a dream come true... The only downside is that i'll miss my "Tri-State Family"... Bruce and his wife (ok, Cleo, too), Gus, Josie and the rest of those crazy bastards...

i'm sure i'll get some writing in The FML at some point, but i'll be doing a lot more than just that... It's gonna be awesome... :)

2. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Congrats! So what officially will you be doing? Carbon the VP?

3. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Way to go Dan, I cant imagine where you could have found a better place to land. Good people, good magazine, and you will never learn it all....

4. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Truly awesome DES! I mean it kind of funks with my mind to put in all in perspective. You showed up here just typing your ass off every day. You then showed a brighter side with your cool stories and writing style. You took the time and effort to ask questions and learn the answers. I remember when you asked what the diff was between a TR and 512 I think or was it a 328 and TR? Either way it was a sign of your naivete, but also your sincerity and honesty to lay it all out like that. Then you got invited to some of the best events I can imagine. You have driven and ridden in more fcars than most people...why?? Because you are genuine. The real deal. Now this? Call it karma or good luck or whatever, but it couldn't have happened to a better person.

Congrats again.

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thank you, Jim; those are really kind words; i appreciate it... :)

Thanks, everyone...!

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    DES/NNO, did you get to meet Mr. Roush at the FFQC?

7. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Congratulations and best wishes for the future...

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Norm... :)

Ryan, yes; Gerald and i spoke for a few minutes on the steps leading to the balcony that overlooked the Super car lawn... Who knew i'd be working for him 6 months later...!

9. TTBADBOY

TTBADBOY Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Congrats Carbon,

You will definitely excel in this.Whenever you do something you love,you will never fail.Now you can get the inside scoop on all the cars for sale and get yourself a good deal.That way I dont have to rag you for 12k posts and no Ferrari.I love hearing good news like that.

Joe

10. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I know you don't know me, but I've been lurking for almost as long as you've been posting. While I don't agree with your politics, your passion for these cars is unmistakable and I'm truely happy for you.

Congrats and best wishes for the future; you've just begun finding your true potential.

Regards,

Clint Sever

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    jesus, Carbon - when I think about your journey in the last 2 years, it blows my mind. You were a guy at the edge of the Ferrari world who seemed to innately 'get' the passion that even some F-owners never seem to get - but you didn't know much about the object of your passion. You've learned a lot about your passion, like all we enthusiasts have.

But I gotta tell you, I hope you understand the magnitude of being able to work for Mr. Roush. The FML has been in my family's mailbox every two weeks since about 1978. For me, it was THE main source of Ferrari history, technological knowledge and market pulse WAY before there was an internet. If I didn't get my history from my dad or FML, then I got it through our big Ferrari library, the majority of which was purchased from Mr. Roush. The supplemental tech manuals to my 1968 car were from FAF and authored in part by Mr. Roush in the 70s. Getting the picture?

You've gone from the edge of the Ferrari world to its American epicenter. I don't think that working for Ferrari North America would even mean as much - it's essentially a new car sales establishment and would lack the heart, red mist, whatever you want to call it, for Ferrari that is at the center of Mr. Roush's organization.

Congratulations - I know you'll appreciate and make the most of this opportunity. Props to you Wayne for making it happen.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bryan, wow... You really put it in perspective there... It's not like i'm nervous enough as it is...! :)

Yes, i know this is a HUGE opportunity and i'm looking forward to it... Everyone thinks that Ferrari is my number 1 passion; it's not. Driving is my number 1 passion; it just so happens that Ferraris stir that passion in me like NOTHING else. Ever. Thus DRIVING Ferraris is my number 1 passion. :) Everything else Ferrari-related is number two... :D

This "job" is a dream come true and i'll be putting my all into it; it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal and i won't let it slip out of my hands... i DO understand the magnitude of what The Ferrari Market Letter is all about and i'm eager to embrace that and, along the way, soak up as much Ferrari knowledge as possible... Meeting with Gerald and his wife was a huge honor and a pleasure and i look forward to working with them...

TT, CSever, thank you very much; i appreciate the kind words, PMs and emails from everyone. Thank you.

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    NNO,

Congrats on the new job!!!!!!!!

Just remember, do what you love and the money will follow. Picked out a color for your first Ferrari yet?

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey, if you missed it before, Mitchel DeFrancis's article which includes Frank Parker's Boxer is in the current online FML.
    Hit "SNEAK PEEK" - view issue Vol. 28 Number 15

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hey, Carbon, I just want to add mine to the many congratulations you have received on this thread. I also have been an FML subscriber for the last few years, and it's fantastic that you will be working there.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Hey Carbn,

Once you get to GA dont forget to get a vanity plate that reads "NECKCAR" :D Enjoy it down in the Peachtree state and if you get a chance to make it up to Indy for the USGP look me up

Rob "The Other Rob" Guess

17. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Wow, that's incredible. Congratulations.

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, no... i'm not jumping the gun on that one... A Ferrari for me is still way down the road...

Jordan, Hutch is right; he'll win that bet... i'm not good with money and saving up for a Ferrari seems like a lifetime; then i'd have to start all over to save up for the services...!

Thanks, everyone... :)

19. JNT

JNT Karting

Nov 30, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Congratulations NNO!

hopefully i'll see you at ferrari challenge in two weeks.

20. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    NNNNO Way! THis is GreAt! As others have remarked, its a rare and wonderful thing to be able to do for "work" what you truly love. That, believe it or not, is even more magical than the object of your passion. (If that makes any sense.@!%$#?)

I was fortunate to get a career making job of my dreams and moved 3 days after i finished law school, to NYC-it was my dream; i couldn't believe it, even as it was happening. I settled in, focused 'til my head ached; worked insane hours, 24/7, got divorced, worked harder. Much changed, but it was the sort of internal processes, not just the external contacts, events and occurrences, that made me a different person over time.

You are embarking on the beginning of your life's quest,think in Olympian terms. Life is grand! And all the best. I know you'll find it.

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks a lot, Bill; you're a real stand-up character; coming from you, that means a lot... With all this going on, i haven't had a chance to do my write-up on riding with you in the GT2 - i wonder if that'll be a conflict of interest now..! :D

Keep in touch and let me know if you're ever in Atlanta...

JNT, thanks...! As long as it's at night or on Sunday, i'll be there... Otherwise, i'll be "working"... :)

22. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Dan/DES/NNO/Carbon - I've been silently waiting for you to go public with the news on your FML position. It was great meeting you at the Enzo Who Run and hearing about your well deserved fortune. I've always enjoyed your passion for the Prancing Horse (that was some tatoo!) combined with your great sense of humor. You impart a great sense of drama when writing about your diverse experiences (like speeding through Long Island in your Nissan Sentra or in the Breadvan at the French Quarter Classic). Whether you get that Ferrari or not, I know that because of your passion, the red doors will always be open for you........The Other Jordan.

23. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hmm...Competition :)

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    One of the older, and more well-know Ferrari publications around. Mixture of articles and assorted stories, but also very well-known for it's "Classifieds" section. I found my Ferrari off of there. Lots of individuals are private sellers on the site. Unlike other online publications, however, FML does require a subscription -- even for buyers -- to access the Classifieds section.

www.FerrariMarketLetter.com

Congratulations DES! Look forward to your contribution.

25. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Hey Carbon ,

That is fantastic!!! I wish you all the best! Watch out for those Georgia police, they aren't used to your New York late night driving style.

Vernon