Switching to Electromotive; should I sell my Distributors? | FerrariChat

Switching to Electromotive; should I sell my Distributors?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey guys,

I've finally made the decision to move forward with an Electromotive HPX electronic ignition.

This is a distributorless ignition, triggered off the crank.

Though I can keep the distributors and caps on for a semi-stock look, I would probably fabricate metal plates to go in their place. The final setup would look similar to this picture:

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1008.htm

I don't plan to sell this car; I plan to make it the healthiest, most driveable carb 308 out there :).

That said, should I sell the distributor casings, cores, caps, rotors, condensors, and points? All of the internal parts are about 10k miles old...

Although at one point I was open to perhaps doing a concours one day, my priority has shifted from "Ability to keep it concours stock" to "healthy, driveable, and fun, like a 308 should be" so the ability to revert back to stock is no longer a major priority for me...

What do you say?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's always a good thing to have the original parts around,incase you do want to sell the car. Lots of people are very hesitant when it comes to buying Ferrari's that look like they have been modified,even if it is for the better.

3. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I say keep them. Stick them in a box in the garage and forget about them. You never know when you might want them and if you sell them they will be difficult to find and expensive to buy.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mike
    I upgraded to the HPX and had distributor blanking plates made up too. If you haven't plugged the ends of the cams, good idea to do at the same time.

I kept the distribs, coils and pretty much everything I have removed from the car (incl. air injection manifolds, seats, wheels, cams et al in fact everything except the US bumpers). If someone wants it to be stock at some future point, it can be returned to stock condition and, as Tom noted, it is good to have the stock parts around rather than having to go out and buy them.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Keep them. If you decide to sell in the years to come, it will not necessarily increase value, but will definitely make the car much more marketable.

Dave

6. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Keep your distibutors just because you never know. Stick em in the attic.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Mike,
    I say keep them as well. Please also take pictures of the installation (if you're doing it yourself!) and post! (I'm thinking of the same ignition system). Finally, when it's done please give us your impressions!

Best,
    Jonathan

8. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Hi Mike
    Great Choice, i have been running my HPX for 4 years now with no problems. I kept my single dizzy off the euro model cause it is special. If you are not in a hurry to sell your parts, keep them, otherwise sell em for whatever you can get for them on ebay etc. good luck
    john

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    What does the total HPX system go for anyway?

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've sold most everything that I pulled off my car. I have no intention of returning it to stock and I just don't need any more juck in the basement. The way I see it, modifying the car costs money and lowers its value whether you have the stock parts or not. By selling off the stock parts a big part of the loss can be off-set. I've alway found the best part of modifying a ferrari is that every single piece that comes off sells on ebay....the bumper with half the rubber burned off sold for $15 plus shipping, way easier than taking it to the dump and it also won me a $20 bet with a co-worker that just didn't believe anyone would pay to have that juck shipped. JMO