Best $ on plug wires/ why is this happening?! | FerrariChat

Best $ on plug wires/ why is this happening?!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by abarthracer, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    can someone recommend the least expensive(oxymoron in Ferrari Land!) yet good source for plug wires for a 85QV motor. I have the #2 plug on front bank 2nd in from drivers side, has fouled on me twice in the last 2 weeks. Last time I took that plug and put it somewhere else, in it's new hole it is fine. I have looked at the wires for signs of the dreaded blow through on the extender, nothing. I took the dist. cap off and cleaned and looked at all and it was fine. Have driven the car for a hundred miles and it has been fine, then I was in it today and I could tell I was down a cylinder. A perplexing problem, that I hope has a simple solution. Thanks
    David

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Sodacoms - one of our sponsors.... Probably the best aftermarket plugs - if you do not mind aftermarkets...

3. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Rich, thanks for the reply, but you mention plugs, did you mean wires? I think that is where I will start.
    David

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Sorry - fast typing... Meant Plug Wires :) Go to the sponsors page and scroll down to sodacoms and you will find the wires there...

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Many folks on this list have been very happy with the Magnacor brand of plug wires. http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm You might want to look into it. They may be the ones that Dave at Sodacom's is selling....

6. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    David - have you checked the resistances to verify the wires as the problem?

7. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    David,
    You can assemble your own spark plug wires and save money. Most auto part stores stock the helically wound (radio frequency suppression) wires made by Borg/Wagner which is a major auto electrical manufacturing company. They probably do not stock the pre-cut wires with connectors installed for a Ferrari, but you can purchase a set with the same number of wires needed for your engine and of equal or longer length than needed. If your have the talent, you can crimp on the end connectors and boots yourself. These are the same technology as the Magnacore wires. D.C. resistance is in the 100's of ohms per foot rather than the 1,000's of ohms per foot of the carbon core cables. Because of the helically wound wire (usually of stainless steel, nichrome, etc) is extremely resistant to breakage due to flexion (and none of the core separation problems of the carbon core types,) the cable life is limited by old age insulating jacket failure or poor crimping joints at the ends.

Bill

8. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    ShanB,
    I have not done that, and it is a good idea. Can anyone provide the resistance? Also, after an archive search, it seems as though the rubber/silicone red extenders are more problematic than the hard plastic/resin ones that I have. Any thoughts?

9. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    My OEM "new" TR plug wires record about 500 Ohms/foot. Coil wire is 500 ohms.........whereas the longest wire is 1500 ohms. The extenders, on the TR, read zero ohms. It may be different for the 308, but it gives you something to compare to.

I would check the ohm readings of all the wires, and compare.

10. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Although you don't see any holes blown through the extender, did you also try switching the extenders, as well as the plugs? Theoretically the extender could be the culprit . Also, although you cleaned out the dist cap, did you reattach the wires?

11. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.

12. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Doc,
    That was my next move to try the extender as well. When I cleaned the cap I did not take the wires off. ALthough, that is coming because I want to inspect the wire going to that cylinder. I will try moving the wire as well, but only one thing at a time.
    I will tell you what, I have 45 yr old Fiat's, a 45 yr old Porsche, and they all have not given me the troubles in 10yrs that this F car has given me in 4 weeks! Pretty scary. And yes, all 4 Fiats you could get in and start, and drive away in! Just thought I would throw that in. Thanks for the help.
    David

13. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#14 Bryan, May 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    The first 4 weeks w my '85 308 were the same as yours--ie intermittent missing. It all disappeared with the replacement of the wires , extenders, and one flywheel sensor ( which I'm not sure if that really needed replacement).Since replacement 2 years ago, I've had no spark problems except for one extender which burned through.

16. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Best price on wires I found last fall was from Dennis McCann. Very fast service too.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are into doing your own, buy a set of Taylor (red) wires for a V8. Use the wire and crimp on the connectors yourself. Taylor wires set go for $60, silicon wires insulators, 8 mm, very nice wires.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #18 Spasso, May 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. abarthracer

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I just wanted to fill people in on my progress with this problem.
    All of my wires and ignition system checked out fine. I mentioned my problem to the previous owner of this car, an older Italian gentlman who seems to be able to diagnose problems very simply! He told me I must have a faulty/dirty injector on that cylinder. He said He had seen it before and just to replace it. So I have and so far so good. I will only be able to tell with time drivning the car, but it makes sense that if the spray pattern were faulty, it would foul that one plug since the ignition system is fine. Any thoughts?

20. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    A Ferrari mechanic rec'd that I occasionally add a bottle of Chevron Techron or Lucas injector cleaner to the tank to try to avoid clogged injectors

21. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I use an inexpensive sparkplug wire tester to check wires for faults,
    it sure makes troubleshooting easier.

22. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    DJ, That's a great looking set of Taylor wires. Do you happen to know the Taylor part number for those. I really like the 90 degree ends.

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I don't have my book with me at the moment but I sourced the wires through the Summit Racing catalogue. The wires are 8mm spiro-pro wire, Universal kit, high heat silicone in red, blue, and black. Boots come in 90, 45, 120 and straight. 40% less resistance.

http://www.summitracing.com/ Click on 'Shop Online Store'

Search for ignition wire sets, Taylor-Vertex

24. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Thanks DJ!