Your first Drive or ride in a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Your first Drive or ride in a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MITengineer, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    A quick question to those of you who drove or rode in a Ferrari before actually owning one. I have wanted to ride in a Ferrari for years. When I was 17 I decided to stroll up to Ferrari of Washington and just ask them if I could at least just ride in one. They refused and they glared at me and and seemed to hate me (I'll be laughing when they all work for me someday...just a joke). I don't really know anyone who owns a Ferrari and so I never had a connection into the F-car club. In fact, not many people back home (Richmond, VA, I'm now in Cambridge, MA for school) even had Ferrari's. So if I don't know anyone who has a Ferrari, and dealers would never let me even ride in one, how does one get to drive or ride in a Ferrari?

2. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Don't feel bad. When we drive up to a Ferrari dealership in our Ferraris and ask for a test drive they laugh at us too. I am sure that someone in your area from Fchat will offer to give you a ride shortly. The VA/DC area has a very huge and active Ferrari club.

Ken

3. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I've never had a ride or drive in a Ferrari once in my meager 17 years of existence, so I'm curious about this myself.

4. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    My first ride in a Ferrari was provided by a man named Trevor Hook in a new 250GTE. He was a salesman for Otto Zipper in Brentwood and was very gracious Englishman. I got 'Hooked', so to speak.

5. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    im in ma too. never got a ride in one yet :/

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I was 17 when I first found Ferrarichat.com...by mistake actually. I made a post introducing myself in the local Southern California section of the website and a few months later one of the members invited me to ride with him on one of the big Ferrari drives out here. Not only that, but he got 9 Ferraris to suprise me and pick me up at my house the day of the event!! I had always dreamed of riding in a Ferrari up until that point and the years of waiting and dreaming were WORTH IT! What a rush.

Thanks to this website, a year later I have this impressive list to boast and pictures to boot! :)

Ferraris I’ve driven in

308 GTS – Matt Lemus
    308 GTS QV –Byron Cheng (for sale by Martin)
    308 GT4 – Elden Tuell
    308 GT4 – Dom Vitarella
    328 GTS – Jerry Slagle
    330 GTC - Chuck
    348tb – Beth
    348 Challenge – Byron Cheng
    348 Spider – Mike Sage
    355 spider – Robert Callahan
    F40 – Rick Doria
    F40LM – Roland Linder
    Mondial T – Brian
    512bbi – Jim Selevan
    Testarossa – Jerry Slagle
    550 – Bart Deusler
    550 – Dave Levy
    575M (04’) – Armen Gugasian
    Enzo –Costantino Bertuzzi

Lamborghini Gallardo –Wayne Skiles

Cars I’ve driven

97 Jaguar XJ6 –Sunny Garofalo
    BMW Z4 –rental
    2000 NSX –Phillips Auto
    308 GT4 –Dom Vitarella (11-29-03)
    308 GTS QV –Byron Cheng (for sale by Martin) (3-20-04)
    328 GTS – Jerry Slagle (12-13-03)
    550 – Dave Levy (3-27-04) s/n 113145
    575M (04’) – Armen Gugasian (12-28-03)
    Ferrari Enzo –Costantino Bertuzzi/Lucio Nicolodi (2-8-04)
    Lamborghini Gallardo –Wayne Skiles (3-1-04)

(notice how every name is an Fchatter!!)

This is the greatest website in the world...Ive made some close friends through this website and gotten live out my childhood dreams!

I have a pretty sappy story why this website literally changed my life...but that story must be saved for the day I am able to buy my own Ferrari...One of the cars on that list might be mine soon :)

So hang in there. You are in the right company! I got rejected for many rides at many dealerships as well! The world really is a pretty amazing place...kind of funny how things work out.

Here are a couple shots from my first ride!

7. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My best friend and I have been racing cars and motorcycles for about 30 years now. We started racing "A Production" in the SCCA. We raced 427 Cobras and Corvettes. After that my friend switched to driving Ferraris. I stayed with American Muscle cars. I have riden and driven his 246 Dino, 308 GTS in Glass, 328 GTB and GTS. Now he has a 90 Testarossa and an F40. Most of the earlier mid engine 8 cylinder cars were the similar. Fit and finish was decent. During that time I was working at a Ferrari dealer while I was in school. I saw many 275's and 365's. Fit and finish was good and they had a lot more "grunt" than the smaller v-8's. My friend attempted to restore a 206SP (very fast) but just too large an undertaking to complete.
    I just drove a 360 F1 last month and thought it was reasonably fast and felt like a go kart, well balanced. But just did not feel like the old front engine V-12's. I was kind of disappointed in the performance.
    I am shopping now for my first F car. My good friend keeps warning me that they are like a bad date. They are expensive and a pain in the ass most of the time. For him, he lives for the track events and to be in the pits at the Grand Prix with the Ferrari Team. He loves tinkering with them.
    I just want something to play with on the weekends and to fulfill that dream car I never bought when I was in school.
    But, as far as driving them. They are fun and I always enjoy it and they are pretty to look at.
    This Monday I will be driving a 550 and a Lamborgini. My friend wants me to check out everything before I make up my mind.
    Sorry for being so verbose.
    gary

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Amazing isn't it. The one place that Ferrari owners are consistantly treated like crap!

9. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    My first ride was when I was probably 10 or 12, my dad's friend came over and took me for probably a 20-30 minute ride in his 308GTSi. I went many sad years before getting a ride again, in his next F-car, a black F355b which I got to ride in to Summit Point from my house and for several laps on the track. Finally, my first drive was in an '86 Euro TR. I've also ridden in an '88.5 TR and a '99 360. Sadly, I've only driven that one TR as of yet. Someday...

10. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Never been in one so i can't speak of the experience.But Jordan has a list that would make some ferrari owners jealous.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    MIT, when i first came to this site, Ferraris were a distant, foggy, hazy, dream... After befriending some really awesome folks, i've not only ridden in some, but i've driven some, as well...! Join The Ferrari Club of America, get involved, go to events, meet people, rub elbows and all that jazz... You'll find that the owners are a lot nicer than most of the dealerships... :)

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The first time I sat in one was a Boxer outside the Ripley's museum in Gatlinburg TN. It was a thrill at the time but remembering back, the car was a rat with a trashed interior. I wonder where it is now.

Then a few years ago I was buying a 911SC and the owner also had a 348ts. Didn't get a ride, but I sat in it for a while making VRRROOMMM noises....

Finally I got my first drive in a 308QV because I was shopping for one (had a good job then). I called the dealer (Fox Valley in Chicago) and talked to them about the car, made an appointment and arrived to find everything ready to go. After the drive, there was steam/antifreeze coming from the water pump so I didn't buy it. Drove a few more after that but never bought and now I have to wait a bit longer.

Mark

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I have never driven a Ferrari in my life. :(

14. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Easiest thing to do is just go pony up and rent a f-car for a day or two.

15. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Woah Jordan, that's an impressive list! You're a veteran, kudos to you :)

For me, the first time I was lucky enough to get a ride in a Ferrari was thanks to a family friend residing in Europe. This gentleman's three sons were in business together and, along with their success, they all shared a passion for Ferraris. Whilst I didn't get the chance to meet the three sons, their dad offered me a ride in their 328. The whole experience was so amazing it seemed surreal. Toss in the fact that I was only 15, and already a Ferrari fanatic and it was an experience that will stay with me forever.
    We drove through Florence early in the morning and onto the highway, all I can really say is those thirty minutes changed my life.

A few years later, on the exact day of my 18th birthday, I saw a breathtaking 355 parked outside a neighbourhood store. After a few minutes of admiration, I was spotted by the owner, who was sitting at a cafe` close by with his wife. We started to chat and they were very friendly, warm, down to earth people. At one point in the conversation, the wife suggested to her husband that he took me for a quick spin. My excited response was about as coherent as the first time a girl offered me to 'come upstairs for coffee' ;) He took me around the block as I grinned and babbled happily, the sound of the 355 was erotic. Every time I drive by that store now I remember that day. Afterwards I thanked the owner for the best birthday present I ever had.

If you want some advice, then I will say this. If a sports car owner only cares about numbers, then there are many better cars out there than Ferraris. If you want horsepower, 0-60, etc, then sure, you will always find something better. But many who buy a Ferrari do so because they've always wanted one, because they are passionate about the mark just the way you are. All you have to do is find owners like that, and you'll get your ride soon enough, if you are lucky :)

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#16 dm_n_stuff, May 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In 1972, Kirk White lived up the street from me (I was 17). He was heavily involved in racing and classic car auctions at the time.

He used to roll past my front door in a variety of exotics, which got me hooked. I went to his annual local car auction/show that spring, and a Dino showed up. I fell in love with that car, right then.

Fast forward to fall 2003. I finally decide to buy a Dino, start my search, find the car, but, it's not driveable. Take the word of the folks at Algar that we can put her back together, and buy it. (Their word is good, by the way.)

Fast forward to April 2004. Car is done, get the call, go down to Algar and Tony has it all warmed up for me. I crouch down, slide in, buckle up, drop it into first gear, and off I go.

That was my first ride or drive in a Ferrari. took me 48 years, but man, what a drive!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Find the local Ferrari club.

Hang out with them, and don't be an jerk.

Eventually, someone will offer to give you a ride.

Maybe, eventually someone will let you drive.

Most Ferrari owners are just car guys with a bigger budget.

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I was just thinking about my first,and only,time driving a ferrai last night. Like many others have posted I was starting to feel that I would never even get to sit in a ferrari let alone drive one. I remember going to see one in the early 90's a 85 308Qv I had just enough in my bank to prove I could buy it, so I figured this was gonna be my first F-car drive! However when I got to the dealer someone had put a deposit on it so they weren't letting anyone take it out and I asked if I could sit in it and they said they would prefer if I didn't since it was sold, so i stared at it for about 40 minutes until my girlfriend dragged me away. The next time was an exotic rental company who at the time had a 328 in their line-up. I stopped by got the information on what is needed etc. to rent and planned on going back to rent the 328 and when I did make it back they were out of business. Next my sister's friends brother had bought a ferrari and she tried to set it up so that I could go for a ride. When I made it down to visit the owner had to go away on business so I got to look at the car (a mondial conv) but didn't get to go for a ride. Then my moment finally came two years ago this month I saw a 83 euro 308 listed at a dealer in N.H. I called drove the two+ hour trip to see the car asked for a test drive and the dealer said sure! I thought I was going to pass out! Literally. I couldn't believe it I was just in awe the whole time I drove it. It was UNREAL. It meant the world to me.

19. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My first ride was in a beat up Mondial 3.2 coupe. But I didn't care, ithe ride was AWESOME! The sound of the engine was exactly as advertised. I got a couple of other rides since then (308's and a TR). It just gets better and better, with each new ride.

My first drive was a 348 spider I had rented. Yep, I got 6 hours to enjoy my first time behind the wheel of a Ferrari. It went by too quickly and I felt awful having to hand the keys back over. Someday, the keys to the 308QV will by mine to keep!

20. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Great thread! Reminds me of great memories! :D

The first time I was a passenger in a Ferrari was in September 1995 at the age of 18 in a 348ts. Really wonderful! Altough it was only for 3km (about 2 miles), I was extremely happy! After that I have been a passenger in a 328 GTS and a 550 Maranello for short rides on the road. And last year I was a passenger in a 348ts for 2laps on the fabulous circuit of Spa Francorchamps! Amazing! :D

The first time I had the chance of driving a Ferrari myself was in June 1998 in a 328 GTS! Only 12km (about 8miles) but unforgettable! :D:D:D I rented that same car one year later for a day together with a friend and covered 300km with it! That same year I rented a F355 Spider wich I drove for 400km then. Since then I drove that Spider at least one day every summer! And planning to do that again this summer! Very addictive car! By renting it I can experience the thrill of driving a Ferrari from time to time and I still can save enough for my own F-car one day! Mmm, makes me thinking, I actually paid for every mile I drove or was a passenger in a Ferrari, but it was totally worth it... I don't regret a single euro... or dollar if you like :)

Last but certainly not least... I definately want/need to buy such an Italian beauty from Maranello as soon as possible and certainly before I'm 35! :D
    I LOVE THEM!!!

21. FerrariTifoisi#1

FerrariTifoisi#1 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I remember how hard it was to get a ride in a Ferrari but i was very lucky to be very good friends with the guys at Shelton Ferrari so after a while it became very easy to get rides. And to this day i am still lucky to be friends with them. There all like my adpoted parents. Now I have either rode or driven a ton of Ferraris and other numerous exotics. So there is still hope for u guys out there.

Jason Glatt

22. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, it surprises me to see so many people here say that the Ferrari dealers dont treat them nicley, at Ferrari of Denver they will let me sit in about every car in the showroom! The thing is too ive been down there a couple of times (like 3 or 4) in the last year and all of them were really spread out so i know they dont like personally know me, but one dealer there whos name is Mike (im not sure how to spell his last name)but he has let me sit in a 575,355,360 and another dealer whos name im pretty sure is Bill let me sit in a Bentley Arnage,Then another dealer who i had no clue who he was and i havent seen him since that wonderful day he let me sit in the awsome Enzo, it was funnny to i was the noly one who got in and by the time i was out there was HUGE line and he just closed the door and nope!

But my first ride was at Ferrari of Denver and Mike came up to me while i was drooling at a black/black 575 and said "hey! wanna ride in a Ferrari?" i just about fainted and almost shouted yes, i went back in the showroom with a really young asian guy that works there and in the mechanic shop there was a lovley 348TS. We rode from the mechanic garage to the showroom which was about 1/4 mile down this like alley. The total ride time was probably about 8 seconds but it was a straight shot so he opened it up as much as he could (which wasnt much) but it was intoxicating none the less. So, that qualified as my first ride in a Ferrari and i really am hoping to get one in any sort of Ferrari next weekend at PPIR in Colorado Springs, ive got my eye on Roland Linders F40LM around the track but thats wishful thinking and i wouldnt be surprised if if i didnt happen, but im still going to see it so that will be fine. I might try to get a ride in a 360 or 355 or any other F-car with an open passenger seat. Ill post again if my wish comes true

23. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Like Tillman says, check out the New England area threads on Fchat, go to a few shows and get to know the owners. You'd be surprised how many of them remember feeling exactly the way you do and are quite willing to give rides.

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was at a open track day @ Charlotte speedway a long time ago. It was mostly Ferrari with a few Porsches' and some other non-notable makes. I was looking over a Mondial 8 when a long haired pony tail mid-aged gent walked up & talked to me about it. We talked for what felt like hours. Come to find out he had a few Ferraris & a Detomaso Mangusa. The Mondial & the Detomaso were his "track fun cars" and what he said were "the most fun to drive anyway."

He asked me a few questions about Ferrari's (testing my knowledge I figured), then offered me a passenger ride in the Ruby colored Mondial 8. I jumped at the chance.

We drove out of the track and on to the frontage road. He made the car do all the cool things that a young guy (like I was) would want. Then... He handed over the keys for the drive back. It was glorious.

My brother was at the track that day with a cam-quarter. He was taping as I rolled up driving in the Mondial. I watched that tape 1000's of times (and still have it in my tape collection). Pretty special memory, all thanks to that North Carolina Professor/Car guy.

I now have had lots of special cars myself, and when I get a chance to take a future car person out for a ride in one I never hesitate. I figure I am just doing my part to keep the hobby rolling the right direction. Just like that Professor did with me.

25. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    In a French car mag "Sport Auto" which is actually very good mag with good balance between street sports cars and racing. They have a sort of a travelling circus of 5 cars (Porsche 996 Turbo, 360 Modena, 575, Murcielago plus another) which visits different cities around France. For around a 1000Euros or less/750Euros, you get to drive each one for 20-30 min. You just neeed a valid drivers license. Hope to try them one day, when I'll be close by in Europe.

P.S. Why does no one do that in the States?