4 New 612 pics! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

4 New 612 pics!

Discussion in '612/599' started by F1racer, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris

I really do not think the car is bland. I saw it in person and came away thinking WOW, Ferrari has really come up with a different model. I like the car and I am exited about. I also think the new Quattroporte is a winner.

2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "The 575 is a completely different car than the Murcielago "

This is why I worry about Ferrari.

Next time Road & Track or AutoWeek, or Evo do a 0-100-0 test or a super track shoot-out...they go by price-point

Exotic cars have had two epic rivalries over the past 30 years. The names change but the clases stay the same.

$150k car class is- 360 Baby-Lambo GT40

$250k car class is- Murcielago vs. 575
    (good-old-days it was Diablo vs 512TR)

Most people in the car-world will never own these cars... but Ferrari branding and Puplic perception.... is splashed across millions of magazines every month. Now with retro/luxury styling, Ferrari doesn't always get invited to the extoic car party. Last time they picked a Saleen to go against the Murcielago. I was sad to see ferrari skipped over. (actuly they dropped 575 Ferrari into a lower class and ran it aginst a MB 55)

Ferrari has had a shift. They put too much engineering and exotic into the Enzo which only .001% of their custumures can own. But they took some of the exoticness out of the middle ferrari price-point, and left the exotic supercar catagory soley to Lamborghi. They are stuck in a neck-and-neck fight for the entry level exotic car with Lamborghi and Ford.

Their Luxury/retro look is up against a ton of better cars also.

Ferrari should have stayed with
    $150k exotic
    $250k super exotic
    $700k Dream car

Ferrari's new business model is
    $150k exotic
    $250k Luxury/retro
    $700k Dream

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay that makes sense, and also explains why it does not look like a traditional Ferrari.

Personally I think this is a mistake, but I'm not running the show. This is what the Maserati should have been. The Ferrari should always be the sportscar ...

If they thin the Ferrari brand out to wide they arwe indanger of loosing what is Ferrari! Safer to increase the prestige of Maserati (which should not be hard).

Pete

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    Exactly what I mean

5. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I've been sporadically looking for a good starter 4 seater for my wife, who insists on it.

I thought about the 456 but have decided to wait. After seeing this thing, I think I'll pass.

Cheers

6. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Looks better in this picture

7. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Sorry guys. I tried to post a picture of a red 612 at an exhibition in Barcelona but the new software doesn't seem to work.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What a boring car. That ani't no Ferrari thats a damn shame is what that is. What has happend to this company? where is the heart stopping design? where is the soul?..geez I could have designed somthing more exciting than that!! Man if this is the path Ferrari is choosing to go...then hello Lambo..there the only guys that seem to be getting it right. That 612 is no exotic...it's just plain boring

9. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Tom, I agree. Not even it's drivetrain will be able to save it.

Cheers

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I'm very interested in de drivebility of the car actually. A 5 meter car driving at 315 km/h. Don't know, but that will take some effort to keep that controlable. The other thing that I'm questioning myself: Is it possible to make a breath taking design of something that is 5 metres long, capable of running 315 km/h? I think there are some things you just can't do because it will take ecceft on the car at high speeds. What are your thoughts about this?

11. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    One more try

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Since at least 1962, Ferrari has always produced a 4-seat car. This car has always been priced at the top of the regular production cars. People have always complained about how "it's not racy enough to be a Ferrari" and "Ferrari is becoming too luxurious" and "it's ugly" or "too boring."

Good to see that some things stay the same.

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The car looks bland! I dont think it would even turn heads when someone is driving it. Now with the 360.....that badass car turns heads!

14. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    "360- badass car"

I totally agree.

I remember my first impressions when it first came out.

"what the F car is that"

I didn't know whether I loved it or hated it
    it was so radical from anything else around at the time.

All I knew at the time was
    I MUST HAVE ONE...

and i did get one. I loved it and always will..

With the 612.
    It just looks ordinary
    It doesn't turn my head
    It doesn't make my blood boil
    and it doen't give me an erection.

I just don't care

shame

Wazza

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm sure no-one at Ferrari is losing any sleep over the comments in this thread. The 612 represents a particular, very small niche that the brand believes it must have for a section of its customers. They will sell moderately, but the effort that went into engineering the car will also be used in future models.

The comment that very few people on this board will ever be in the market for a four seater Ferrari is also probably accurate, so I really don't expect to see any positive comments re the 612 here.

I'm looking forward to a radically advanced 575 replacement using Enzo mechanicals and some technology from the 612. How it looks will always be a very subjective thing.

16. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I thought the Murcielago was a little bland until I saw it in person. We have now added it to our collection.

aehaas

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Never had a Ferrari,always dreamed of owning one,driven most of the current models(rentals in Europe).
    Had all the Porsches(996 tt included),but traditionally driven mostly AMG's.
    My daily driver is a '03 E55 (Renntech modified) and I've decided the 612 is going to be my first Ferrari.
    I think it's gorgeous,advanced and very, very classy looking(not obnoxious like the boy racer Lambos I would never even consider,since I would be embarassed to be seen by any of my friends in one)
    Someone here mentioned that 612 will attract new buyers from the rank of MB and Bentley owners,well,I am one of them.(cancelled order for a GT coupe,2nd on the list)
    Spoke to LFSC about ordering one,they said to wait till they get more info,refused to accept a deposit at this time.

18. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    No, I am sorry, I am very sorry but that words you wrote have no consistent basis at all. Nothing is so different in the 612 that opens the marque up to new people. I mean, if they didn't like the 456 why would they like this one? The 456 is supposedly better looking and the 612 does not make a huge difference in engine/performance or interior room so that it outdoes the 456.

So I don't really understand why a Bentley buyer (MB is soooo cheaper!) would go for a 612 when he did not want to go for the 456.

The 612 is new and has newer technology. So if anyone is considering buying one (read our fellow user Absent) it is not because it looks better than the 456 or it has a different concept. To me, the concept (front V12-ed, 4 seater, luxury Ferrari) is just the same in the 612 and in the 456. The looks is obviously different!

Absent, imagine you were in the same financial and personal situation that you are now but put everything back in 1992 when the 456 was introduced. I bet you would order yours as you're now ordering your 612.

I hope I made my point understandable. It is NOT a different model.

19. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    The 612 is a real 2 + 2, the back seat is actually a usable seat for more than just small children. It is also a much bigger more powerful car than the 456. Everyone has their opinion, but I believe the 612 will sell much better in the US than the 456 ever did. True some buyers will buy it that also had the 456, but I think also someone will buy it that has never had a Ferrari, because this one can actually accomadate four people.

It also will outdue the 456 in terms of performance, where the 456 could never come close to the 550\575, the 612 will keep up or actually outperform. So you have the first Ferrari 2+2 that also performs with its siblings unlike the ones before. With the 456 you paid more and received less, with the 612 you pay more and get more.

As mentioned by someone earlier, it is an exclusive car for an exclusive market.

20. chanh

chanh Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I'll take the cartoon sketches

21. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I hate it - UGLY!

22. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    I dunno. I agree with Pete (psk) that the concept drawing looked better, with more crisp lines. I don't think this car looks GREAT, but, I definitely like it more than a lot of people on the board. I think Ferrari was trying to create a more conservative looking automobile. I love it from the rear (not to be taken out of context!) but, the front could use some remodelling. The headlights look out of place to me. But I think for sure it could use some more crisp lines.

23. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    It is hoped that Lamborghini releases a 2+2 again.
    The 612 is lovely, but the Lamborghini 400GT is much more delicious.
    Classy, shouldn't imply bland, much as exotic shouldn't imply sporty.
    A design well executed is graced with beauty and beauty alone transcends all limitations.

How do you like the (sporty) pedals in the 612?
    Personally, I feel they belong in a hardware store.
    For comparison, the Aston's are beautiful.

(embarassed -> 2 r's)

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Now I know when to call. :D

--Dan

25. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    My final opinion will have to wait until I see it in person, but initial thought is the front end (lights in particular) remind me of a P-car 968.