328 vs 308QV | FerrariChat

328 vs 308QV

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rod, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys..

Some advice would be appreciated...

I am in the market to purchase a ferrari and currently have the option of a RHD 1985 308gts qv or a LHD 1986 328gts both retailing at 23k both with similar milage's 50k and both in very very good condition. Oh and both red/tan!!!!
    I know that the 308 qv is a good car and it is RHD!!!!! but my budget will not extend to a RHD 328..

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Rod

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I wold not like to make that choice.

3. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Both good?

QUOTE=chaa]I wold not like to make that choice.[/QUOTE]

4. vittorio

vittorio Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    vittorio
    Go for the 328!!!

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Well the 308 QV is the last of the 308s, so the better 0f the 308s, while the 1986 is the first of the last 3X8s....get me. I dont know enugh abot the 308QVs apart from they are the last 308 before the 328 face lift.I think it depends on your personal tastes in styling like bumpers, front wing grills, door handels ect. Some owners like the 308 interea switch gear as opposed to the newer 328 layout.The 1986 328 like the 308 will not have ABS which started i think in 89??. I think the 328 has a little more power. Personaly i dont care if its RHD or LHD, i had the choice of a LHD yellow 355 spider or RHD red 355 spider, what swung it for me was the coulor, if the LHD one would have been red i would have got that. Several of my frends have got LHD 360s, porches and even a LHD Diablo. I think the choice you have is also the same that i may have had,when i thought about buying the LHD 360 coupe or the RHD 355 spider, both around the same price, now that was a hard choice as well.

6. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Chaa

Whats your thoughts on the 1986 328gts Red/Tan, it has immaculate interior & exterior, the engine seems sweet & the car drives very well. the chap is asking 23k? Do you think the car will hold its price? I was thinking about holding out for a 87/88 car (pre-abs). Do you think condition defintately beats year?

Thanks for your input.

Rod

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have a 89 328 gts with the same colour sceam, i dont know about the 86s but i think they are the same, i think in 89 the 328 used a different suspension. If you dont care like myself about LHD or RHD, go for the 328. They are great cars although the 308 QV are as well. I would say the 328s, i cant see the prices going down any more than what they have. Personaly i dont care about resale values like alot of F owners who are alwys looking at price guides, i have my ferraris to own and if the bubble dont burst, to own for good.If you think about it real ferraris are in deed LHD, look at 288s, F40s,F50s,and Enzos.

8. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Rod,

you should make the choice based on your heart. Which one do you like best? There is nothing in it in terms of mechanicals etc They are the same, especially sincy the last 8 months producion of the 308 QV was on the same production line that produced 328 till 1990 when the factory had another refurbishment. What that menas is that the latest 308's have the same rust protection and manufacturing methods as all the 328's.

Cheers
    Philip

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    if you want my advice RHD easier to drive and if you ever want to sell it you have a bigger market would only BUY LHD {F40 F50 ENZO} if they didnt make RHD

10. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys

Thanks for your input... Its a bloody difficult decision!!!!! I love the 328's but just thought a RHD 308 would be better to resell.... But then I told plan on selling!!
    I have a few days to ponder!!! As long as they both get me to Classic
    Le-mans this year!!!

Thanks

Rod

11. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    My 328 is a 1986. I went through your same dilemma, but I made following considerations:
    1. More advanced electronics for 328
    2. More power for the 328 (270hp vs 240)
    3. Better interior (even if this is personal) for 328
    4. 328 incorporates several little improvements, sometime significant
    5. Better look: definitively 308
    6. Better A/C for 328
    I guess that both will hold the value quite well. As far as driving a LHD in UK, I have been doing it since 1999 without a single problem.

I made my choice, now it is your turn.

At the end of the day, they are both GREAT cars: follow your hearth

Ciao

Eugenio

12. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Eugenio

Your 328 looks stunning in the photo... & this is a 1986 version? They just look so good.. Have you had any issues with your car?

Rod

13. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Rod,as I said before,if it has been maintained by J.Buch. there is no argument,the choice is yours and look forward to seeing it on the 30th.
    Dave .

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao Rod.
    Thank you for the compliments. I confirm you that my car is a 1986. In the 328 registry is the last registered in 1986. I have owned the car since Dec. last year only, and up to now no problems whatsoever. When I bought it the car only had 13.000 miles and had been kept in a garage for the last 7 years, even if fired up regularly. I changed all fluids, all belts, general check and... off we went.

FOR INFO, ITEMS REPLACED AND COSTS HEREAFTER
    Service 12000 miles

Air Filter 33.60
    Oil Filter 35.40
    Fuel Filter 34.20
    Belt 20.22
    Belt 42.00
    Belt 30.76
    2 Timing Belts 36.92
    Coolant 49.10
    Engine Oil (9 Kg Motul) 99.00
    Gear Oil (4 Kg) 31.00
    Brake Fluid (1 Kg) 11.00
    Man power for servicing and car survey / recovery (20 hours) 450.00
    Total 873.20

Costs are in Euros

As the car is in Italy I do not drive it so often, nevertheless I managed to add 1600 miles since Christmas.
    The car is simply fantastic. I am not the track type, I just love the general behaviour of this piece of engineering.
    Having said that... I am from the Magnum generation, and perhaps due to that the quatrovalvole remains IMHO the best looking Ferrari V8 ever.

Now, go out thereandfind your right one. I let the brain rule the heart, and i do not regret it.

Ciao

Eugenio

15. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    ciao Thanks for your input... Another tempting photo!!!

I have now seen another car for sale in Switzerland, a Ren/Tan 86 model with 33000 kms.. & 3 owners.. apparently the Swiss cars are well looked after?
    I am looking for a contact in Switzerland...

Rod

16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Be just aware of what you are buying. The 328 for the Swiss market had a different exhaust system with cats, therefore less power and additional complications...
    In addition to that potentially spares could be a little difficult to find for these specific systems. Just to give you a hint, the engine has a different P/N etc..
    For Info on the Swiss cars, ask Trevi. He seems to be knoweledgable on that area. If the car is in Ticino (Italian Swiss), i could give a look at it the first time i go to Italy (next week?)

Ciao

Eugenio

17. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rod

If you do buy a Swiss car be aware that you will have to pay VAT based on the value adjudged by the Customs. This is because Switzerland is not in the EEC, so does not have a tax agreement. I almost bought in Switzerland because I could not find a tan interior car in France (they are virtually all black). I landed up getting one from Belgium which is of course in the EEC so no tax. By the way if you get a Swiss offer to give you a fake receipt for the customs ( a couple offered me this deal) the customs people have the right to charge you based on what THEY deem to be the value regardless of what documenattion you have. Just a thought

Paul

18. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Rod, if you need a contact in Switzerland there are a few of us Fchatters here. Just let me know.

As far as Swiss cars go, they had cats from 88 or 89 onwards and that robbed them of 10 or so hp, and you won't notice it. I have an '89 GTB and the parts aren't any more difficult to get than for non cat 328's. Japan, Usa Switzerland and Germany (to name a few) were all with cats after 88, the UK was one of the last to bring them in.

The 328 is basically a lot easier to live with (my experience) and the cheapest Ferrari to service. It was effectively the last incarnation of the 308, and during the 20 or so years of manufacture there were ongoing small improvements for servicibility. I paid 1500 Sfr for a belt service on the 308 and 1000Sfr on the 328.

But, just to throw a spanner in the works, I personally think the early carb 308 is one of the prettiest cars ever....choices...choices...these sort of problems make life great fun :)

Just let me know if you need a contact over here.
    Cheers
    Simon

19. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Paul I completley overlooked the taxes... I was so excited about viewing this car... It may have hit me at one point possibly when the customers officer asked me for the 5k!!!!! Ouch...
    I need a rethink on where to puchase a car from!!!

Cheers again

Rod