Performance & Handling of Daytona vs. Boxer | FerrariChat

Performance & Handling of Daytona vs. Boxer

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by kdross, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I know these cars are very different since one is a front engine car and the other is a mid engine car, but how do they compare in terms of handling and power? If tracked, would one be noticeably bettter than the other? If you were use to driving one, would the other disappoint you? In a perfect world everyone should own both, but my world is not perfect.

Thanks.
    Ken

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    How do you define "better" ?

I honestly dont know which car would post higher lap times given the same driver. At first thought I would think the BB, but the Daytona does offer 50/50 weight distribution and the engine is located very low in the chassis being dry sump. The BB engine is also mounted relatively high in the chassis and I have heard the handling can be pretty nasty on the edge relative to trailing throttle oversteer. Then again.... a 911 has the same tendancy and they make fantastic track cars!

I can tell you that with the Daytona, if your going to track the car the stock brakes will need some upgrading. At a minimum you would want to run racing fluid, really hard pads, slotted rotors and try to get some ducting to the front rotors.

The Daytona had a much longer and more successful racing career, but the competition Daytonas were radically modified so thats not a great comparison.

Honestly.... if your looking for a car to use on the track I would not recommend either. I have a Daytona with a hotrodded engine and very tight suspension that is a hoot to drive. The mechanic who built the engine estimates 410hp or so. I also have a little '69 Porsche 911S with a 2.7 liter engine giving perhaps 220hp. I would bet the Porsche is a good 10+ seconds per lap faster around Road Atlanta than the Daytona. Its a matter of weight: 2000lb vs 3500lb. Both the Daytona and the BB are heavy cars! If you want a track car, buy a Porsche.

If however you want a car that is fast and fun for the street.... both the BB and Daytona have lots to offer. The Daytona is easier to get into, has a nice sized trunk, is very comfortable to drive and offers tons of torque and power. The BB is going to be less practical but also offer great power and fun. The BB is a good bit cheaper and more were built. I also think the BB would cost more to maintain and require more maintenance. A clutch job is $$$$$.

Heck, Ill tell you what everyone else is ultimately going to tell you as well: Drive both and decide for yourself!

Now.... if your asking ME, the answer is clear: Why on earth would you waste time with that funny looking flat 12 powered thing when you can have a true masterpiece: DAYTONA BABY!

Terry

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    The Daytona I had, was more of a fast cruiser. The Boxer (BBi) I now have, is more fun, for me..........more tossable. I don't see how the Boxer is more expensive to maintain than the Daytona..........it seems that carb parts are harder to get. Isn't the Daytona all steel body?.......while the Boxer is fiberglass and aluminum. When the rust starts on the Daytona, costs will surely esculate rapidly!!!!!!!!!!

I don't track my cars, but I have seen where Daytonas are terrible when it comes to braking.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've never driven in a Daytona, but if it is anything at all like a Boxer,
    the word disappointment doesn't enter the picture.

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

The Daytona is built on the traditional steel oval section frame, has a fiberglass internal tub that forms the floors and interior bulkheads and has a steel main body. The doors, hood and trunk lid are aluminum. I believe this is the same basic construction method used on the Boxer.... and that both cars are equally susceptible to rust.

As to the Boxer being more expensive to maintain.... carb parts are actually relatively cheap. Pierce manifolds and other weber sources sell everything you could ever need at pretty reasonable costs. The Daytona engine does not have to come out for service. There are no timing belts to be changed. The clutch is relatively simple job. The radiator and cooling system are simple and easy to maintain while on the Boxer the water pump is suspect and expensive to replace. There are no electronics on the Daytona. The BBi has antiquated electronics that can be a bear to sort if wrong.

I would expect the Boxer to feel more "tossable" though that is a relative term when talking about ANY car that weighs over 3500lb. The Boxer is going to offer better turn in and easier steering. The Boxer should also feel more modern in general in its method of cornering whereas with the Daytona your going to deal with a more 1960s era experience. The Daytona is going to give more forgiving and progressive handling at the absolute edge.

Another thing to keep in mind.... a wise man once said: "its more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow...."

Both of these cars offer fun handling, lots of power and torque, great sounds and stunning looks. Neither of these cars is going to offer a great track driving experience.

If ultimate performance as measured in lap times is what you want..... forget about a Ferrari and go buy a new Porsche GT3. Save some money and still go far faster.

Terry

peterp and Texas Forever like this.
  6. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks guys for the input. Other than the occasional FCA/FOC sponsored club track event, I would not track my cars on a regular basis. My question was more or less trying to determine the pros and cons of each car which I think Terry explained very well.

Ken

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Terry: I believe the bottom half of the Boxer is fiberglass, whereas the top half is aluminum.

Don't get me wrong......I loved the Daytona...and now the Boxer. The sounds of those Webers was just awesome. Even now, I often think of getting another Daytona, and keeping it next to the Boxer.

8. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Henry:

If you can swing it, sell the TR and buy a Daytona. Having a Daytona and Boxer would be great. They are very different and would each offer a unique driving experience.

Ken

9. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I thought of that, but I am too leery of buying someone else's problems. The words "excellent", "mint" and "perfect" have little meaning to me, when it comes to used sports cars. Most of the Ferraris that I bought had some issues with them, even when serviced by dealers.

One had a "perfect" paint job (repainted).....looked flawless. After a year of driving, I noticed more stone chips than I expected, with similar driving........obviously the paint was too thin, or something.

Thought of a 512 TR, but the $100K range is priced way too high, IMO.......I would rather keep my $40K TR.....haha

An F40........well they are all garage queens.......leave that to someone else.

Saw a 250 PF(?), for $60K.......dealer stated it was MINT. After seeing very worn seats, rusty door hinges, bubbles at the bottom of the doors, etc., I just walked away.

The only recent MINT sports car was the 1997 MB SL 320, with 34K miles, I bought 2 weeks ago........already put 1,500 miles on it......with no problem.

Oh well, I will just enjoy what I have.

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    The main advantage I've noticed with the Daytona over the Boxer is the far superior visibility out of the thing. OK, I know it's not the most important consideration - but it makes fast driving more relaxing IMO.

Otherwise, the sheer charisma of either is overwhelming. Enjoy.

John

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This is the kind of question that can't be answered over the internet. You need to drive each car (or a couple of different examples of each car) and figure out which is best for you.

By the way, no BB should be considered "tossable". It isn't. "Rear-heavy" perhaps, but not "tossable".

Drive 'em and see for yourself.

--Matt

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I would never track my Boxer. The car just doesn't feel right on the track! I think a Daytona would be more what you are looking for.I bought my car for styling and go straight speed.Tracking a Ferrari is for expensive unlimited funds racing .

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I always say you have to know how to drive to drive a Daytona! Cause when you drive it right it goes. A Boxer is a little more forgiving. and I mean a little. The sound goes to the Daytona. (No car sounds like the Daytona). Speed goes to the Boxer. Looks, wow thats a tough one??? Thats up in the air. We're talking Daytona Coupe.

14. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    Here's my two cents worth. Had both. The Boxer was a very early 365. Tracked a Daytona coupe for several years at Road America without incident. It ran strong, was reliable, and always got me there and back. Tracked the Boxer once. Had the alternator fail (PITA to change at the track), muffler exploded and burned wires and paint, and clutch went away the following week. Guess which one I'd choose.

15. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Great thread.

16. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have owned a carb 78 BB since 2011, it has been pretty reliable except for a frayed original throttle cable (a BB with a stuck throttle is interesting in traffic). I have only been a passenger in a well sorted Daytona once, it felt very ‘vintage’, but surprisingly quick. The aural quality of the sound the Daytona makes is something else compared to the BB. High class problem to have either way.

There are few UK magazines which have comparison tested them and reached a few interesting conclusions. Not sure I can scan and post here due to copyright concerns.

Texas Forever and -K1- like this.
  17. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Are you able to post an excerpt of the conclusions? That shouldn’t breach copyright.

18. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
  19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Texas Forever, readplays and -K1- like this.
  20. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thank you

21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That last paragraph....

Ak Jim likes this.
  22. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I own both and have for quite some time. Both have renewed suspensions and new tires. I think the Boxer drives much better than the Daytona. However, the Daytona feels much more mechanical (if that is a feeling word) vs. the Boxer which I like.

readplays likes this.
  23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I owned a Boxer for about 10 years, and have owned a 365GT (not a Daytona, but from a driving experience surprisingly similar) for 30+ years... I sold the Boxer and still own the 365GT, if that tells you anything.

I drove my Boxer on the track several times. I would say it is a better car on the track, although it doesn't have the brakes for it and so isn't all that great. Otherwise, from a touring perspective-- both cars are really GT cars-- the Daytona is better hands down. More comfortable, more luggage space, very nice high speed cruiser. The Boxer is more fun on a tightish (it is still a large car), twisty road, but for blasting across Montana I would take the Daytona.

24. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

I am lucky enough to be among the people who raced both of them , including at Le Mans classic, and in both cases cars with each of them a 2 times participation at Le Mans race in period!
    No doubt a BBLM is better suited to race at LM it is a lighter car in its last version, and very stable aero dynamically. Cannot remember exactly the tire section of BBLM va Daytona G4 but on long curves felt more stable when you enter Indianapolis at Le Mans.
    On tighter circuits like Mugello or even Le Castellet if you have the chicane in the straight it is debatable as the Daytona is easier to place in short curves.I drove the BBLM in Vallelunga and for those who know this circuit it is absolutely not suited for the BBLM which in tight curves is heavy to drive and change directions.
    But both cars feel pretty safe even at high speed.
    In comfort the BBLM wins for me as the G4 had side exhaust and a noise level above 105 decibels , it was hurting the eardrums even with plugs!
    Finally talking about practicality you can nevertheless use the Daytona on the road, I did 2 Tour Auto with it while I would not recommend to do that with a BBLM ( which most of them are not road registered anyway).
    I also had a street Daytona, immensely enjoyable on the road with definitely more space than the road BB.
    And while from an esthetic point of view people can decide which one looks better between the BBLM and the G4 both brutish animals, in road trim I believe in the right color a Daytona is more classic specially in the plexi form.
    So as usual all depends what you want to do with it, but i definitely would not recommend to take any of the road versions of both cars with anger on a race track!

-K1-, Ak Jim, colombo2cam and 3 others like this.
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Boxer isn't much faster in straight line but you can corner much harder.

My experience after driving a 365 bb and Daytona back to back on b roads/mountain roads for a few days in and around Pocono race track.