Is the FCA Corral at the Monterey Historics worth it?? | FerrariChat

Is the FCA Corral at the Monterey Historics worth it??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, May 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The FCA Corral for the Monterey Historics costs $85 per person.
    That is in addition to the $50 per person entrance fee.

Is it worth it???

It appears you get:
    • BBQ lunch with soft drinks
    • Access to a viewing tent at turn 5
    • Reserved area to park your Ferrari
    • Ability to drive a lap or two on the track at lunch

How's the traffic in and out of the Historics? Would I be
    better off just taking a shuttle in and out?

How's the view at turn 5? Will you want to stay there
    much, or head down to the paddock area to get up close
    to the cars?

Is it worth $85pp??

2. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

Brian you just spent about 200k on a very nice car you aren't serious about the $85 question are you?

3. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Hey, as awesome as that car is, it is a bargain for $200k compared to $85 for a typical non-Texas BBQ lunch. Obviously I can afford the $85... but if I'll have more fun shuttling in, walking around the paddock, and spending $85 minus shuttle on some other lunch option, then that's what I want to do.

I've not been there, so all advice is welcome.

4. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Anyone can spend money, but spending money wisely is hard. $85 to waste is still wasting $85.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well lets face it, most 4re's are garage queeny types. The problem with the coral is it is a coral like horsey style. Last time I saw it I did not bring my 4re due to # of passengers I took to Monterey. There was dirt to park on and that means dust everywhere. Pitty the guys who drove spyders and cabs! All the cars are piled in haphazard on the dirt. You have to relie on your fellow 4re to not ding you. Then public wanders through that's what I did on my way around somehwhere during the historics. That means other possible damage. Due to haphazard piling of cars at all angles and pitches on the dirt you are boxed in and can't leave until the people around you are gone. Check with FCA but that is how I have seen it done. Personally, it is best to wander the historics going into the paddocks and wandering the track. You will be moving anyway and it will be hot and dusty. Two laps around LS will most likely be parade laps...big deal. If you are able to rip around (highly unlikely) two laps don't even get the oil hot.

6. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    it's a great deal...having been to Monterey numerous times, I would always sign up for this even if I was not bringing my car down. You get a nice parking area for your car, you get a place to relax away from the crowds, you get great shots of the racers going into the corner...

Yes, the car is going to get dirty...this is a given for any parking area there. Only this one is someplace where you can watch it!

7. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    The FCA corral parking is dusty, but then so is general parking. At least it's relatively flat, and the parking is relatively well controlled. The spacing of cars is better than in general parking. With regards to people walking among the cars, from what I've seen, most people treat the Ferrari's with respect. If you're really concerned about dust and the general public, you could put on a car cover. I've seen some do that, but it takes the fun out of displaying your baby. I'll probably attend the historics this year, and I will most likely park in the FCA corral.

The view from turn 5 is nice. It's a left hander leading up the hill that sets up the famous corkscrew. I would encourage you to walk around the track to see the paddock area and the different turns. The paddock is what make the historics so interesting.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Hmmm, given all that... and given all the other days for showing off my Ferrari, and the three real track days the next week, I am tempted to just shuttle in to the Historics. How is public transport into and out of the Historics?

9. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Regarding the Concours Italiano... Do it. It is the difference of being a "participant"or being a "spectator" REgarding the Historics.... Driving to the races,parking,dust etc...it is a toss-up.
    I've always liked the ability to come and go it at will as some of it gets
    boring after a bit.Watching not the same as racing yourself (what you'll have after the Concours).

Either way it goes Brian you're going to LOVE IT!
    ENJOY!