UK Fchat Driveout DVD---------------------------------- | FerrariChat

UK Fchat Driveout DVD----------------------------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Where do we want to do our filming

1. Track?

2. Road Trip -Italy, France etc?

3. Public Highway?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Following on from Sunday's drive-out to Auto Italia, it's been suggested we get a UK Fchat DVD of us on the road together . Felix has very kindly offered to do the camera work and the editing at minimal cost to us.
    So, can everyone pls register their interest here and let's try and get some dates / locations sorted. As Felix is London based, i've suggested the location should be convenient to him as he's doing all the work for nowt.

2. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Sounds like a great idea, pse include me.

Bernard

3. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Me in too...

4. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm in.

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sarah has been in TV production/editing for many years and could help. Do you think you'd need a Stradale as one of the cars, if so I might be able to lay my hands on one

(In future I'll have to keep my short videos to myself :))

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    If you need a truly fine sounding 355 with Tubi and no cats I'm in.

James

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    James,
    i'm already going, sorry . :)

8. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    As you know it is the best sound by FAR !! lets take 2 !

James

9. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd be up for something like this, and have done something similar with PistonHeads- The Surrey Run, filmed not a million miles from Box Hill. These have been organised by Jeremy (jeremyc, possibly the nicest person in the world) and the footage shot by Steve (Luca Brazzi) http://www.sleepy-fish.com. Worth hooking up with these guys?

Kevin

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi Kev,
    Sounds cool. Once we have an idea on numbers and pick a location, we can ask Felix if he needs some help.
    Regards.

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Im in Tony

Sounds like Fun!!!!!

J

12. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I'm definitely up for this. I would suggest some in-car shots and also some drive-bys past a fixed camera at high speed... well 70mph :)! Ideally we would find a section of quiet dual carriageway, maybe a mile long, with a roundabout at each end so we can be sure we're alone, and a lay-by half way along for the camera and for us to park. Early morning might be best.

13. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    What about quarter mile Tunnel???? Roundabout each end ???
    sound would be awesome 3 mins from my house!!
    J

14. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Great ideas Steve. I have the kit for in-car and shots outside (I will be using high speed DVCAM and/or miniDV - unless any objections - happy to use film but looking to keep costs down).

My only comment about the location is that if we get can get-away with some high speed passes we may be ok with the film kit - normally you need a permit to shoot in public (permit not normally a problem with a bit of notice - and yes I have been stopped before - the kit tends to attract attention). If possible it would be good to get off road - airfield/track/private road whatever.

Anyone up for a getaway-paris style shoot? High speed at dawn through London? ;-)

15. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    You may need a bit of blue to in the video for contrast. People may think their TVs have gone on the blink and only show red :D

i.e. I'm up for it

16. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Guy's cant help in the car department much,but can you guys put me on top of the list for a copy of the finished dvd guy's,£££££££££ ready just tell me where to send it,

cheers
    Dale.

17. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Count me in with the big banana!

Pete

18. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I would like too.

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Felix,

Good point. When shooting stationary, the camera robs the car of 30mph, so whilst it feels fast, it does not look fast, so the use of an airfield or something is a damn good idea.

I have a friend who edits JC's selthrough videos so he has a particularly relevant perspective, so I'd like to get him involved. I don't know if you intend to make this project "yours".......

20. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Always happy to collaborate on projects. I have shot/edited quite a few arty sequences with cars/aircraft over the years and always prefer the use of a moving platform where possible (hence my use of steadicam - when coupled with the back of an open pick-up it makes for the best leading shots you can achieve without a £100K purpose built platform). I have OB and feature experience of car chase sequences which is why I would like to do a pilots-eye view getaway type romp through town one day.

Lets see what we come up with location wise before working out how much help we need. In my experience these things can become too much like hardwork with too many crew and not enough activity (Always a case of Hurry up and WAIT..... OB work on top gear frequently involves a crew of around 4 and that includes soundman and Director!) - I will speak to some contacts at fields I fly from to see what i can find - Please all - if you have a contact with a decent stretch of road/runway - see if you can tap them up - it will make for a better shoot.

21. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I am up for it as long as its not the Le Mans weekend count me in. :)

22. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    To make a DVD that is 1hour in length will require a significant amount of shooting and editing.

For planning purposes I think we need to think about:

1) Decide what it is we are trying to make
    2) To decide who the filming team are
    3) Find a location
    4) Decide what cars and why and who can provide them (short of linked to 1)
    5) Pick a date and a time
    6) Do the filming
    7) Do the editing and add sound track etc.
    8) Produce the DVD
    9) Sell it if we think it's up to it (and pay the contributors etc out of the takings)

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Point 1- nothing to fancy or arty
    Point 2- Felix to coordinate?
    Points 3,4 &5- to be decided
    Points 6,7 & 8 are down to Felix and whoever else helps him out.
    Point 9 - do we really want a DVD of our cars driven "with gusto" availiable outside of our immediate group?

24. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Agreed... Although per my earlier post.. with factual stuff and unless you intend to have the standard passing shots/static shots on the public road, the availability of location is pivotal. I would put this at point one. In my experience the availability of location and type of location will set some parameters around what we will be able to film and as a result steer the options as to what we want to film.

Having then established the location, style/type of film we will be able to establish the crewing needs.

The finished product will be commercial quality as is my want on the commercial work I undertake - despite doing this largely for fun these days, my experience on feature and broadcast work is normally provided FOC in return for a donation to charity (as per my website) and normally based on the perceived value - in other words I am happy to work at cost (and since I have all my own kit and full online/offline editing suites - there is no cost other than consumables). Any profit should include a donation and then the balance... well maybe the forum should benefit from that?

25. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Felix,

Out of curiousity, what format did you have in mind. Will it be mini DV, or do you have access to digi-beta?