Mondial t engine removal steps,continued part 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial t engine removal steps,continued part 2

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Peppi, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #1 Peppi, May 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With the engine now removed and free from the engine bay, acess should now be excellent to all parts for service.

Firstly I wanted to see and check the present state of the cambelt ,so I removed the surrounding cambelt covers , I took some pictures saves me remembering where everything goes, once you have the covers of you can see the condition and the slackness of the belt also if there are any bits of collected debris in the belt area, rubbing etc.

Then I moved onto the valve rocker box covers removal to expose the valves for valve clearance checks .

For removing valve cover box , on 5/8, removed black plastic box,removed coil pack ,just move them to the rear of the engine ,at the rear of the valve cover ther is a steel braided pipe ,undo it reposition then I just tightened it in a up position higher than the valve cover so its not in the way ,also there is a breather pipe at the rear of the cover which needs to be removed ,then remove all spark plug wires from there clips on the cover , then remove the centre clip off the cover otherwise will be in the way ,remove camshaft covers of the rear of the camshaft, then remove all the nuts which hold the rocker box in place , you can then remove the rocker box cover to have a look at the condition of all the various parts beneath it, I then refitted cover back on without putting any of the nuts on ,just to keep the dust out while I did the same to the otherside 1/4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #5 Peppi, May 3, 2004
    Moment of truth ,I needed to look in the front compartment for the sparkplug 18mm spanner , and yes it was there to my relief ,so I used it to remove my sparkplugs, but first I had to feed compressed air down the sparkplug holes to remove all the particals of dust and flaking paint from the valve covers which ended up in the sparkplug holes,so as when I do remove the sparkplugs then I hope that no dirt can go into the combustion chamber.
    Once all the sparkplugs where removed I plugged up all the sparkplug holes to stop any bits goinging into the holes.

My cambelt on the 1/4 bank was a little loose as one can see by the pics.
    This is one of the reasons I had to definately do the major service,it makes you wonder.

3. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #6 Peppi, May 3, 2004
  4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Where did this engine came out...a Sherman tank ??
    This is the first time I see an engine this neglected.
    Guido

5. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    Yes Guido you are right it does not look very pretty I agree with you all the way, that is one of the reason that I had to remove this engine from the vehicle inorder to clean it all up ,making it look alot better, but it is going to take me time ,but it will be done.

As I said before ,people wanted to see the engine in the vehicle ,I did not want to show people the engine because of how dull it looked, so now it is being done ,so I do not need to be worry by the way it looks anymore, once it is all done, but yes you are write it looks pretty dull , I like the comment you made saying that it looks as if it came out of a sherman tank it made me laugh, but yes I do agree haha. Not for long though.

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Would have been a good idea to give this a good pressure wash off before you took one nut off,boy youve got some shot blasting and powder coating to do,have fun you have a lot of work to do there,

cheers
    Dale.

7. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    I will clean it as I go along Dale , I do not have a pressure washer also if I did I would of not used it because it may of flooded my garage out,because it is quite awkward to get the engine out of my garage.I will do it as I go along with it ,should be fun.
    Thanks for your suggestion all the same Dale.

8. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #11 Peppi, May 3, 2004
    Removal of the belt which drives the alternator also the steering pump.

Undo the centre bolt on the adjusting pulley,undo the actual adjusting bolt for the pulley bearing ,you need to undo it queit alot to be able to remove the aux belt.

Then I was able to remove the belt, then I removed the bearing adjustable pulley , so I could take it apart for a good clean and checking of the bearing itself.

Press the old bearing out then press the new one back in, with mine I had to get a new bearing because it was not in a good state, only cost me £10.00.

Check the belt also , even though it is a good idea to change it anyway .

Then I undid the A/C pivoting bolts ,and then slackened off the adjustment
    bolt until I was able to remove the A/C rubber belt, I found that mine had two cuts on the inner side , but anyway I would have replaced it anyway, it could of broken at anytime.

9. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #12 Peppi, May 3, 2004
  10. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Bravo Peppi! It looks like you have a lot of work to do there but it will be worth it at the end. Is this the car's first service? Thanks for posting pictures. Good luck!

Shan

11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    And yes its going to be a whole diffirent LOOK. Thnaks for sharing. Succes with it,
    Guido

12. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    Hi , Shan glad you liked the pics , you ask if it is the first service, it looks like to me also that way I think , but I do not know because I have only had the vehicle just over 1 year , it has always run great never any problems at all , I looked at its service history it looks as if the cambelt service was done in April 1995 ,it also shows 7 service different times stamped on the service schedual book ,right up to April 2002, it also seems to be stamped by a very well known uk dealership company which I will not name ,I personally think that it has been looked after ,but they never bothered to clean any part of the engine which is a shame for me ,but not the end of the world with time it will be okay, also so far it is internally in pretty good shape,the camlobes have no wear at all , the water pumb still looks like new ,so I think it is being done at the right time any longer and I would of lost what seems to still be okay, because the cambelt seemed very loose.

Anyway Shan hope that you have done your clutch thrust bearing now,again I sure you have been successful, now that you have the new part.

Regards to Shan from Peppi.

13. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff

Guido , yes thankyou for your encouragement,most kind of you Guido.

Regards Peppi.

14. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

Peppi,

What have you used to clean up the manifolds and fuel rails.

They have come up really nice.

John

15. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    #18 Peppi, May 4, 2004

Hi, John I have included a pic for you to see what was used to do most of the work , but I also used wet and drt paper to bring up the smaller pipes, then with all the area I just T-cutted it just on the parts that are now shinney, glad you like it ,thanks John.

Regards Peppi.

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I may be way off base here, but now that you have gotten those parts all brite, what are you going to do to keep the parts from rusting now that the plating is removed?

17. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    Yes Dave you are write , I do not know how long they will stay that way hopefully they will stay like it for a while ,I intend to keep an eye on them , if they go back to as before quickly then I will need to remedy that but at present its fine , perhaps latter not , I know ,I will just need to wait and see, I just wanted to make them better than they where before , Thanks Dave for mentioning that anyway.

Best regards Peppi.

18. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    You might remove the parts, have them bead blasted,
    and then re-plated.

Good Luck!

19. Peppi

Peppi Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    UK Wales Cardiff
    Thanks Dave that is a very good option also ,thankyou Dave for your input.
    Regards Peppi.