F355 Fluid Leaking from the Cluch Housing | FerrariChat

F355 Fluid Leaking from the Cluch Housing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Berlinetta, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hello,
    I've got a 1995 F355 Berlinetta that is leaking a clear fluid...
    The dealer states it's coming from some mechanism involved with the throw out bearing (sounds like brake fluid is used for the hydraulic clutch) and it's common on these cars. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and do you know exactly what parts I need to fix it myself? I have access to a lift, pneumatic tools, etc.

Thank you,
    Daniel

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Slave cylinder. This is not a job for the weekend mechanic unless you have the tools to remove the nutt holding the bell housing to the transmission.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Ferrari has updated the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing and its support with a newer version. You might consider updating these componants rather than just resealing the old ones. The parts are expensive, but what else is new.

Replacement is fairly straight foward. Remove the muffler, and then the whole clutch housing/flywheel and clutch will come off as a unit. The throwout bearing and the support can then be unbolted from the transaxle. You will need three o-ring that go between the support and the transaxle. If you are replacing the support, you will also need the threaded aluminum plug to seal off the drill passages in the support, as the new support is not sealed from the factory.
    There is also a o-ring on the input shaft and three plastic oil seals on the shaft that you might want to replace while you are in there. Also check the flywheel for any signs of grease leaking out the side.

This is also a good time to change the clutch if it has many miles on it. If you disassemble the clutch, then you will need an alignment tool in order to get things lined up again when you reassemble it.

Brian

4. Thanks for all your responses. The clutch only has 4,000 miles on it, so I won't be replacing it. Unless that's a lot for these cars...?

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    That could be 16,000 acceleration runs of about 1,350 ft. each, +/-. :)

Motob is spot-on, though may only require seals.