In Regards to the Newsletter (March '04) | FerrariChat

In Regards to the Newsletter (March '04)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by slashmatt, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slashmatt

slashmatt Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    It seems to me like you (the ownership of Ferrarichat.com) are trying to work both sides of the fence. Your removal of privelages from users that don't pay may bring down the total number of users, but I say that this is bad business for you. If you like making money from the advertisers that support your site, you should encourage as many people to use the ferrarichat.com message boards as possible. Discouraging your user base from participation deprives your advertisers from reaching as many people as possible. If you'd like to keep your advertisers happy, you should guarantee them as much exposure as possible.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Slash,

As someone who has seen MANY discussion boards grow and mature on the Internet over the past 8+ years (with BBS experience since 1984), there are times when it is good to charge a very small fee for the ability to POST to insure the QUALITY remains high. The reason for this is that even a small token cost usually keeps spammers/flame baiters/etc away. The fee being asked is very small and that is good in that if anyone is TRULY interested they can easily afford it.

Not sure what Rob''s final plans are, yet it will probably be free to READ the main sections. Of course if someone is not willing to pay a very small amount to post here, what makes you think they would pay hundreds of dollars to buy Ferrari parts from one of the sponsors? IMHO somone who pays for membership here would be more likely to buy items from the sponsors here.

The above are just my opinions. If you value the information on Ferrari Chat then your choice is obvious. If you feel the information here is worthless, feel free to "vote" that way as well. The choice to join is yours.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Free to read, $1000.00 to post!

Speedy308 for President!!!! Brigitte for VP.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    SlashMatt,
    Your point is taken, but please review what was said by "enjoythemusic", this has been covered many times by Rob, the site owner....if you search the archives, you'll find extensive discussion by him, and input from the users on how to better this site, AND improve the quality of the postings. It was agreed that charging a small fee would greatly help the site. Absolutely, vote with your pocket book on what works for you. This is a "free market", and if Rob loses too many users...then the advertisers will disappear too....and things would have to change. I'm not betting on it, and support the changes thus far.

Dave

5. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You still get to post, view all of the attachments and contribute mostly where you like. I hardly see that as removal of privleges, on our forums we didn't allow attachments unless your we're a paid subscriber. Trust me you get it good here :)

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Matt, you've made 8 posts in 2 months, I'm not sure what you think you're losing?

7. Porscheaddiction

Jan 15, 2004
    Cornwall, Ont.Canada
    Full Name:
    Chris Larocque
    Im one that doesnt post often either.........I feel its really not my place to post yet as I am not a Ferrari owner...... However having the freedom to ask a question at the appropriate time regarding a request of help about Ferrari is great. There are not all that many places to turn for assistance. The group here is great. I was welcomed with open arms in my very first post even tho I am not an owner yet. It was great to have such a response...makes a person feel like they belong to the group. Taking that freedom away of being able to post for non paying members will make the dream that much more furthur away for a lot of people. As some do have viable questions. Thanks for listening.
    Future Ferrari owner (now thats positive thinking)
    Chris.

8. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    as a owner-to-be in training, I consider the money for Fchat to be the best value of all the industry options I've found.

FCA is $, SCM is $, FML is $ - all for one year each. There's no comparison the money and pain I've saved because of this forumn, all for maybe 2 threads started in six months. Let alone my sunk costs into Forza, Sports Car Illustrated, and the rest of the rags. For the cost of one year of each of the first options I get 7 years of Rossa here, what's not to like?

The addition of moderators, the subscriptions, and the new focus he has on this product has made a big difference as well. The few flamers have mostly gone away.

Keep up the good work!

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It's a good incentive to do some interesting research and write articles for FChat. (I plan to.)