How Do You Registar a Ferrari in Colorado? | FerrariChat

How Do You Registar a Ferrari in Colorado?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by jeff, Apr 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    What's the procedure to registar my Ferrari in Denver? Does it need an emissions test? Can the dealer do it or do you have to take it to a state run facility? If it's a state facility, is there one that you trust getting behind the wheel of your Ferrari? Thanks

2. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jeff, what year is your car? That matters, there are places that "tailpipe test" your car if its older than (I think) 1981, and if its newer you need to go to a state run facility and have it run on the dyno.
    Also don't let them drive your car, you can drive it in, press on the gas to the appropiate speed for the needed time and then drive it out. Of course not all places are very friendly.
    Good luck

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    The car is 2002 360 F1. I'm looking for the "friendly" state run facility. I don't want anyone driving my car. Where are the "friendly" ones?
    Thanks

4. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I was never able to find a 'friendly' test center that would let me drive my own car on the dyno. Check with your county's department of motor vehicles, as not all counties require an emission test. The closest thing to a friendly center I found was a small two bay facility in Parker. The larger centers seem to be run by a bunch of teenagers, and they actually launched one of my RangeRovers off of the dyno before, and tried to say it wasn't their fault because I had 35" tires on it. No damage (except for smashing their engine fan into pieces with my winch bumper ;) ) Took it to Parker and no problems.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have used the facility in Catle Rock a number of times starting in 1997. I have not had any problems. I have never heard of any place that lets owners "drive" it themselves. Just ask to have one of the more experienced workers do it. Ferrari of Denver uses a place thet have supposedly "trained" so I would call and ask them about it. If coming from out of state you will also need a "vin verification" which can be obtained at the emissions station also.

Dave

6. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Jeff,
    I just registered my TR about 2 weeks ago. Bought the car in AZ. You'll need an emissions test; proof of insurance; vehicle weight; title or proof of purchase; Bill of Sale; VIN number verification. FOD uses an emissions place east of their facility near Holly and County Line Road (you might call FOD however) you can have the VIN verification done their too, if you request it or pay $7.50 at the Motor Vehicle dept. Weight? - New one on me, but I had to go have it weighed on a scale "Mayflower van lines, Prince St 2 block south of Little Blvd in Littleton, $5.00).

Jim

7. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Thanks everyone for the information.
    jeff

8. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A friendly testing station is located at 11609 Teller st. Westminster.
    It's off 104 th Ave and Highway 36. You can call 303-456-7090 and get directions.
    I never let them drive my car they were pleasant, and liked seeing an F-car as opposed to the run of the mill they're so use to seeing.

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yikes! I'm moving to Boulder (greater Boulder) here in December, and compared to New Mexico, seems like Colorado has some pretty tough emissions! I don't think my 308 would have passed... But my 328 should :).

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mike,
    Unless your 328 has something dramatically amiss (like no cat) , it will pass with ease. I have had 2 QV's, 2 328's and a 348 tested a total of about 8 or 9 times. They always pass easily. One QV had the O2 sensor disconnected and still passed!

Dave