575, 456 and 360 as a daily driver in less than ideal conditions | FerrariChat

575, 456 and 360 as a daily driver in less than ideal conditions

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Cavallini, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I've read many comments about the performance of the various 360s, and 575/550 in spirited driving, but I've seen little about the day to day practicality of these thoroughbreds, especially in less than ideal driving conditions-- rain, snow, sleet, bumper to bumper traffic, etc.
    Your experiences and insights are greatly appreciated.

Forza,

Cavallini

2. Rabeeh

Rabeeh Guest

Apr 23, 2004
    WPB
    yes, any information would be appreciated

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can't say about snow. We ain't got no of that stuff here, Fella. But other than that there is no reason that you couldn't use a 550 as a daily driver, other than the fact it would be kind of a waste. If I had to drive around Houston every day (or LA or NY or Altanta or...) and I'm glad I don't, I'd leave the Maranello in the garage and drive an SUV. Them potholes get mightly big...

4. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    I do not use my 360 as a daily driver, but do drive it every weekend, having put +8k miles on the car in around 10 months. I have driven the car in very heavy (thunderstorm) rain, sleet, slight snow, bumper to bumper traffic and the car performs very, very well. You would not out of choice want to drive the car in sleet/snow as you are driving a 400 bhp mid engine car, the car will drive fine, but as the driven you will not be very relaxed at all. In bumper to bumper traffic the car drives great, with no problems re overheating, in this respect the 360 is much much better than the F355. However if you have the F1 as I do the car can be a little jumpy in slow stop and go traffic. The biggest problem with driving the car in heavy traffic is the poor 3/4 visability, there is quite a large blind spot which does not encourange lane changing in heavy traffic. The ground clearance of the front spoiler is much much better than the F355 and better also than my previous 996 Turbo. Even though I have not driven a 575 ot 456, I would think that both would make a better daily driver, esp 456, due to better all round visibility wich is key if you are going to drive the car in heavy traffic.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 456 is fine for most daily driving conditions. I had mine in a bit of snow this past winter and while it wasn't great it was much better than I would have guessed.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the 550 in snow with standard tires is not feasible. i had no intention of driving it through a boston winter, so i didn't bother to get snow tires for it.

every incident of damage i've ever had to a car has been attributable to winter conditions. it's just not worth the risk in my book. you can pick up a beater AWD subaru for the white stuff and its purchase and operating costs for the life of the vehicle will be less than the cost of one winter accident in an f-car.

sure - you CAN do it, but SHOULD you do it.

i ran my S55 last winter in pirelli snow sports. it worked better than i expected, but it didn't hold a candle to the jeep with quadradrive or audi with quattro. you just don't need that much torque in the snow :)

doody.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Can't argue with this. And, if you have to go on a trip do you really want to leave the F-car at the airport for a week?