550 owners: blowing fuse 21? | FerrariChat

550 owners: blowing fuse 21?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bobafett, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    This is the second time in ~2 months that I have blown Fuse 21 (cigarette lighter, indoor lights, trunk release (although it doesn't say anything about being attached to the trunk release), etc).

I have my V1 plugged in there because I am too lazy to hardwire it. That's how I know the stupid thing died.

Went to Kragen and bought a 25 pack for 7 bucks...I think I'm gonna need it.

Anyone else having this problem?

--Dan

2. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
    A couple of my mates have had problems with the boot (trunk) release jamming, which has caused the fuse to blow.

Have you had any problems with this? Could be worth checking the mechanism

3. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Dan,

I have a V1 run off the cigarette lighter in my 550 since Feb

The damn thing keeps popping out all the time i'm driving
    Combination of loose fitting V1 and road vibration.

That combination of dodgy conection you think would be enough to blow the
    fuse but it seems to have held out OK.

I did have a similar problem to you on my 360 with V1.
    Just change the fuse and it never happened again.

Sorry

I not sure this really help you very much.

Wazza

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hmmm - the boot release makes sense. if you've got a short in there or something causing too much physical resistance in the release, it could certainly cause it to short out.

have you noticed any correlation of the fuse blowing to you hitting the trunk-open button?

doody.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Paul / Doody: well, to an extent. I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be so. The blown fuse will disable trunk release, though, so then I have to use the pull-cable. The fuse has never blown after using the trunk release. Maybe i should try doing it like 50 times in a row. :D

Wazza: Yes - every serious drive I go on that thing pops out. Or my elbow hits it. Very annoying. I've been meaning to hardwire it / have it done, but I am too lazy to order a new v1 (I have the 1.7).

--Dan