250 GT Cabriolet Series II | FerrariChat

250 GT Cabriolet Series II

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Doody, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    this is one of my absolute favorite vintage f-cars. i'd take one over a GT California in a heartbeat. it has all the classic elements, without any of the later 1960s bling bling.

DES asked for some pics and more info, so thought i'd slap some stuff together here.

roughly 210 cars were made from early 1960 through late 1962 across model years 1959, 1960, 1961, and 1962.

The Ferrari Market Letter shows average asking price at $160K, up nearly 9% over the last six months, and up nearly 19% over the past twelve months.

if anybody here owns one, i'd be very interested to hear their experiences - how they are to own, drive, maintain, etc.

and here come some pics....... :)

QUE BELLA!

doody!

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  9. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Good thread Doody. Here are a few more.

10. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
  11. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    I had to throw in this S I

12. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    I felt it as my duty to add this photo.

What about the great colour combination and the appropriate registration number?

Joop van der Meer

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Doody, very cool, thanks for posting this... It's a gorgeous car, no question; it appeals to me more with the top down... i see different things in different pictures (must be from different years) like the tail lights and the different grilles... i like the silver car the most (the car in your #7 picture)...

Ironically, i like the look of the Series I that Staceman posted, more... Go figure... Still, they're both beautiful cars, nonetheless... :)

14. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Please don't kill me-but IMHO I think it looks like an old MG or Triumph...

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    must kill noony.... :)

the grey/silver car 07 is sans-hood scoop. apparently these cars were quite customizable at order time, and a few folks deleted the hood scoop.

the 06 light blue car with the funky tail lights is apparently a "Speciale", but i didn't find any specific data on that.

my big gripe with the S1 and the Cali cars are the headlights. i think the S2 headlights "fit" better with the car and the time.

fwiw, which ain't much!

doody!

16. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I wonder if #6 is one of the 400 SA cabriolets produced rather than a 250 cab?

17. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    dave - not according to nicola cutrera's s/n lists in his 250 book. nor according to barchetta.cc's listings.

doody.

18. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    OK, I believe you. I have seen that taillight and rear panel set up on a 400 SA cab. That is why I was wondering.

19. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    The blue cabriolet is a one-off on chassis 1737GT , first shown

at the 1959 Turin Auto Show. It shares the back side with several

400 SA's. There's an article on the car in the latest Forza (150)

on page 45.

It has a specially made hardtop.

Attached is a picture of the car wit the hardtop.

Joop van der Meer

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you da man, joop! that explains it then!

doody.

21. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Outside the California NART Spider, the 250GT PF2 is the best looking of the cabrio. Period. I know it supposedly drives like a truck and doesn't hold value is well, but, I am going to keep looking for one for sale in blue or dark grey until I find one.

22. comview

comview Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    I thought that I would reply to the posting about anyone commenting on owning a 250 GT PF Cabriolet.

I have owned my PF Cab for about a year and a half, and looked for over a year to find the right one. The prices are rising and nicer ones do cost more than the market letter indicates. Be very careful trying to buy on price, because the repair bill to fix a problem car after the sale can be very severe!

The black car that sold in Monterey last summer went for $258,000 including buyer's premium. This was high, but I expect the days of $150K good cars are long gone. I believe nice cars (not show cars) are closer to $180 to $200, and concours winners north of these numbers.

I drive mine a lot, over 3,000 miles in the first year, or a least a couple of times a week. Its a great car and I appreciate the looks and style more now than when I first got it. It has been very reliable so far with a big trunk for travel and basically very straight forward for an older exotic.

My car did have extensive restoration on the mechanics, but was pretty original beyond that. It was primarily a one owner car for most of its life which was an important point for me, because most of the car was very original and unmolested.

I am now doing a complete restoration this winter of the rest of the car; body, paint, chrome, new top, interior, gauges, etc. I plan on showing the car this summer around the west coast. I had done a lot of research on this model and have spent many hours sourcing parts and verifying correct configurations.

Good luck on your search and let me know if you find one. It is a terrific car which I enjoy very much and intend to keep a long time. If you want a vintage open Ferrari, this is a great choice.

23. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    #23 ferrari_kid, Dec 18, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i thought i'd post this because i just saw it tonight. sorry i couldn't get a good shot of the whole car but it was dark and the lighting just sucked
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    #24 ferrari_kid, Dec 18, 2003
  25. Jeff Rowe

Jeff Rowe Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    #25 Jeff Rowe, Jan 25, 2004
    I'm seeking information on the 250GT PF Series I and II Cabriolets.

I have been maintaining the 250GT Cabriolet Register since 1979 and have lots of info - but always looking to fillin the gaps.

If you are a past owner, current owner, or just admire these cars please let me know about these cars.

Photos, build sheets, other ownership info will be appreciated.

Jeff Rowe
    250GT Cabriolet Register
    [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login