What to see in Tacoma? | FerrariChat

What to see in Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ShanB, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Greetings all. I'm in Tacoma until Saturday on business. With very limited free time, (a few hours Wednesday or Thursday night) what would be the "must-sees" of this great city? Any great casual eateries or landmark spots you guys recommend checking out? I'm happily married and don't drink or smoke, so bars and strip clubs are not an option.

Thanks in advance,
    Shan

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    You might check out www.griotsgarage.com. They are located in Tacoma (not much of a showroom, but they are happy to pull anything in there catalog and let you look at).

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    and my recommendation is to get out of Tacoma! Seriously though, my wife is from a beautiful suburb there across the Sound called Gig Harbor. Just cross the Narrows Bridge on the West side of Tacoma and drive down into the town by the harbor and walk around for an hour or two (10-15 mins driving time total from Tacoma, just avoid rush hour). They have a quaint little town nestled on a beautiful harbor with pine forest ridges.

For the quaintness factor there's a little place called Le Bistro where you can eat in the livingroom of an old farmhouse right off the water. There's other good restaurants whose names I can't remember either.

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Gig Harbor is a great idea. Consider having a meal in the Tides Tavern on the water. Food reasonable, but an outside table in the evening watching the boats go in and out of the harbor while enjoying a munch is good fun.

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Drop by Griot's...they have some specials on Ferrari related stuff....sticker sets for $5.95...and 1/43 vintage F1 race cars for $9.95...see here:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_9090

Check out the museum suggested by Gary, you could even see the Washington State History Museum as well, otherwise, take the 50 minutes to drive to "civilization" up in Seattle... :)

Dave

7. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    While you're down at the museum of glass, a good place to eat down there is called Harman's. That is my girlfriend's favorite restaurant in Tacoma, and it is pretty good.

Tacoma is also known for gangs, but I don't know if you want to see that, necessarily.

Sorry, I'm not too much help here.

8. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks guys. Just returned tonight. As it turns out I made it to Olympia only yesterday evening for seafood but that was it for touring. Tough work week.

Shan