Where Do Your Emails Go...Ever Wonder? | FerrariChat

Where Do Your Emails Go...Ever Wonder?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dherman76, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Hey guys - just looking to see if you guys ever 'wonder' about whether the other party you send an email too ever got your email? What do you currently use to check and make sure the other party received your email? There are features in AOL that allow you to see when the email was read, Outlook has a "return-receipt" feature, but is there anything else you use? Do you ever wonder?

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I know exactly where it goes... first it goes through my service provider, my service provider then sends it out into the DMZ where the CIA "blackroom" reads it for me and makes some notes in my profile. Depending if they want to keep it or not, they kick it back out into the DMZ, where 'Project Echelon' glances at it too and if they want to keep it or not, kick it back out into the DMZ where it reaches the intended recipent service provider and then into their inbox. Somwhere between my SP and the recipeints SP, it can get lost.

Next question.

3. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Hehehe....I like the Echelon reference there. Your e-mail should never get lost between your provider and the recipients as SMTP sends mail directly from your providers SMTP server to the recipients. The only reasons for failing to deliver should be:

a) connectivity failures*
    b) invalid RCPT TO: specified (bad e-mail address)*
    c) Mailbox full*
    d) Attachment too big*
    e) Spam Filters
    f) Blacklisted SMTP Server/MX Address
    g) Malformed headers*

*These should return an error message to the sender.

There are additional causes for failure, but these are by far the most common. It is very, very rare in my experience for a message to simply be discarded without any error message being returned unless it is flagged as spam. There is the possibility that the other party just hasn't replied or acknowledged the message as I have found this to be far more common.

-ag

4. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I wonder about that. I love return receipt, but I do not use a program that allows that.

I choose security over sanity.

5. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Some of the spam filters that are in place will block DSN messages, as well as return receipts.

Unless you get a failure notice, you can pretty well assume that the message got to the server at the organization you sent to, or their email hosting service.

After that, it's a mixed bag. I do spam filtering for small companies. A lot of them need the spam filter thresholds set up so high that only their "whitelist" (approved senders list) gets through.

Most of them quarantine spam into separate folders and go through them occasionally.

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Im sure most of mine go to the tax man, he seems to know everything in my life,MMM i wonder if a rossa subscription could be tax deductable?