Mercedes/Restoration Help | FerrariChat

Mercedes/Restoration Help

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Seth, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Nice W113, my old shop restored a 67 250SL last year. Look under the rocker panel 6" from the frot wheel well. As for the oil The oil plug question, I would join the W113 owners group on Yahoo. Great info & lots of help in that forum.

2. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    ive signed up for the yahoo group, but my membership is pending?? whatever that means...

but anyways thanks, also what exctally does your shop work on and stuff thanks...

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    ive added more pics at that site... can somebody take a look please to find the correct lifting point

thanks

4. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi you can jack it under the red arrow-front crossmember if you like in the centre,
    or bottom arm blue arrow,but go for the crossmember,the sump plug if i can cast my mind back far enough should be a 12mm allen key,or 17 or 13mm spanner,
    let the oil drain overnight,the oil filter on this should be an element type so remove it and see what state its in,when you've oiled it back up wind it over with the plugs out and get the oil pressure up,then fire her up,

cheers
    Dale.

5. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    hello

we decided to just go out and get some car ramps, instead of messing with the jacks, we got it up on it and did find the allen key hole, but didnt have one on hand, and thank you for the size we were wondering about that....
    we most likley wont be able to work on it till next weekend...
    also is letting the oil drain overnight absolutly nessesary? we could do this but there are some storage problems with us doing this, but we could manage...
    also

"wind it over with the plugs out and get the oil pressure up"

are you talking about the spark plugs or what??

also Dale do you have a 113 mercedes? or have worked on them a lot? just wondering...

thank you very much
    seth mac

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi yes i have worked on a few,the old merc's are built well,wont coment on the new one's,yes remove the spark plug's,will turn over on the starter a little easyer,and stop it starting till youve got some oil round,
    are you doing a full or part rebuild on this car,

cheers
    Dale.

7. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    right now our main goal is to get the car up and running again, it used to be run, we think fairly often prior to 2000, and has been sitting since then... also the fact that i am a student, and dont have many tools, or cash to spend were mainly getting it running and trying to clean it out real good... so a full restoration is not possible, and we can only work on the weekend, but were doing our best to get the car in its best condition, and should have it running by saturday...

ill post some pictures of after we washed it on the benzworld site too, and you wont belive the condition of the soft top, it was absolutely perfect!!, with a few small tears where the metal parts would pinch it, but other wise perfect...

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    dale

could you take a look at the benzworld site, we do have a small problem, with the steering componets/linkage, and need to find out exctally what is wrong, and what the best way to fix it is.... do you think we could tack a weld on it for now just to hold it, or is that a major no???

thanks seth mac

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    You know when i first looked at the pic's i kept looking at the steering rod thinking somthings not quite right here,
    its steering and its a big no no sorry,its not even worth considering welding,
    if you do be it on your own head,its dangerus,get a new one,and that may not be easy,so i sujgest you get one made,its a hollow tube with threads in,be safe,work safe,take the old rod to a good engineering shop they will sort it for you,tell them its a steering component and keep the material thickness up to merc's spec's,

cheers
    Dale.

10. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    thank you

the fact that it is possible to fabricate one is some very good news... ive got several people who could do the job...but i was wondering about the actual part, how and why did it snap the way it did?? Im thinking it was just one of the weak points on the W113's, and was never dealt with, but when looking at the break it looks as though the actual metal was pinched with bolt cutters or something simalar and is bent/forced into an odd shape... but i'll take a better look friday...

thanks again very much dale...