512TR Tires | FerrariChat

512TR Tires

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stuart, May 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I am still running the original tires (4500 miles) on my 92 512TR. They must go and I would love some suggestions. I am not going on the track and do not need performance beyond the stock p zero's. Living in in Southern Calif I am not concerned about wet weather. Suggestions please!
    Stuart

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Bridgstone S-03

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lets see, you should have already changed the belts twice dure to rubber wearing out, but can't find the money to fit modern performance tires? This tells us something.......

Bridgestone S03s are excelent tires.

4. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    It is always a surprise to me when you go to a group that is dedicated to helping each other and you get a sarcastic answer. I bought the car with 3700 miles on it, nothing touched on the car since 1992. I just spent $10K on the 30K service plus everything else. I finally decided to get around to the tires and thought I would ask a simple question.....What is the something that that tells you....

5. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    Stuart
    I have a 93 512TR with michelin pilotsports 235/40 frt
    295/35 rear (factory specs) They provide great traction with decent durability. Not the cheapest tires (around $400 for the rears mnt/bal.) IMHO tires as well as any component for Fcars are worth buying the best available. for technical and cosmetic reasons.

6. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Stuart, people call impolite people like mitch alsop "wankers" in Australia. What type of prick is he when a chatter asks a sensible question and he comes out with this crap. I would suggest you go for the bridgestones. regards frari

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    I`m very happy with my new set of Pirelli P Zero Asymetrico.

8. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I use Kumho tires. I even wrote a review at tirerack.com So far so good. Excellent value for money.

9. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Stuart,

Tires do last a long time and are one of the last things you do get around to replacing. I ran the originals on my Corvette for 21 years before finally having to replace them last year. There was plenty of tread left on them, but over the years they flat spot and get out of round from sitting in one place most of the time. Anyway I have Bridgestones on the F-car, and are fine by me also.

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    So James, in your expert opinion, is it then safe to drive your vehicle on 21 year old tires?

11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Wow Wolfgang - your car looks stunning, love the 512 wheels!

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Thanks a lot Greg.

13. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Stewart,

I've been hearing good thing about the new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, you should take a look- they're being made in the right sizes. I'm still wearing out a set of Pirelli P Zero's, but I thinking of my next set.

Norm

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wolfgang, did you get my PM?

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  16. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I think I would rather drive on 21-year old tires than have my donkey sent overseas. At least one of us can live to tell about it. The tires are still stored in my garage, since I hope to still get the car judged in the Bloomington Gold Corvette Show someday...

17. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    I just changed out my original set of P Zeros for Pilot Sports. Tire Rack had a special on the fronts so the entire set wasn't that expensive. I was looking at the Kumho and S-03, but well all in all I guess I just wanted to try the Michelins. Hey, and you also get $50 bucks towards Best Buy purchase if you buy a set of Michelins. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the previous suggestions.....it's personal pref. Oh, and at the time I couldn't find the S-03's in the rear sizes.

18. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    No, just checked again my box. Please send it again or direct to me:
    [email protected]
    Wolfgang

19. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    Thanks to you and "almost" everyone else for your support. I will start visiting some tire stores and see what is available. After I returned from a trip to Hearst Castle in Northern Calif with the Ferrari club I noticed that half my tires disappeared. The old tires were like rocks. I am also an corvette guy with a 1962 FI vette but I keep the old tires leaning against a wall for the occasional show. I run a more modern tire for real driving.

20. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Michelin pilotsports are what i have on my 92 512TR they ride nicer than the pireli's and they handle just as good.

21. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    What do you mean by ride nicer: quiter, more compliant, better turn in, less tram lining, -all of the above?

Waht pressures are people running in their 512 tr tires? The book has the front ones at 35 I believe and th rears at 34 but I have heard this is to promote safety with u/steer and one should run front and back at 35 for more neutral handling. I have noticed u/steer at the book levels on the track until the tires were hot (Pirelli Asyms) and they becam a little more predictable but turn in is slow for a track car.

22. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    Thanks again to everyone, I just got my pilot sports installed today and they seem great. If you remember I was running the original tires from 1992 and I can tell you both the rears split while being removed from the rim. I guess those old tires are a much greater safety hazard than I expected. I just happy it did not happen while I was driving. As a bonus these new tires are so much better than the old that it feels like I added power steering.
    Stuart

23. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Good to hear. I would have also recommended the Michelin Pilot Sports. I order mine from Costco for my 92 512TR!

24. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Good call. Yup. I like mine too. Power steering? You must be working out doing those arm curls. :) Enjoy.

25. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Steve, I believe I saw your red/tan 512TR over at Alfa of Tacoma over a year ago being serviced by Carlo. Just wanted to say that it was a really nice example of a 512. Cheers.