Hayabusa & Saleen | FerrariChat

Hayabusa & Saleen

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by urraco, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    #1 urraco, May 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not sure. The bike would out accelerate. The car would out brake.

3. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My money is on the 'busa.

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Absolutely no contest, as a unrestricted Busa owner,the busa all the time. I got no official times but i recon around 7 seconds??I have read the GXR 1000 will do it around 7 aswell. Does anyone know what the car will do?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Charlie is right. The new ZX-10R, R1, and GSXR-1000 can all do pretty much what the Hayabusa can do for 0-100-0 and might beat it. There's more bikes that just one that can spank the cars.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There is no way that a Busa, or any other motorcycle, can stop as fast as a S7. Remember, the F1 guys get 1G just by lifting.

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Sorry have i missed something,arent we talking about 0-100-0, did i say the busa could outbreak the car, read it again.......0-100-0, the bike will get to 100 quicker than the car so then it will have the extra time to stop wont it, clearly you have not riden a busa.Wether or not the busa can or cannot out break the S7, the bike will do it in around 7 seconds, So what will the Saleen do 0-100-0??

8. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    have you seen the busa vs 900hp viper video? a lightly modded busa is insane. i am gonna bet on the busa for winning this race.
    thad

i am gonna try and find the viper busa video

9. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #10 EspritSE, May 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like a tie between the R1 and S7...

American V-8 Power: 2003 Saleen S7
    2003 Saleen S7
    POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS
    Drivetrain layout Mid-engine, rwd
    Engine type 90* V-8, aluminum block and heads
    Valve gear OHV, 2 valves/cyl
    Bore x stroke, in/mm 4.125x4.00 / 104.8x101.6
    Displacement, ci/cc 427.6 / 7008
    Compression ratio 10.0:1
    Max horsepower @ rpm 550 @ 5900
    Max torque @ rpm 525 @ 4000
    Specific output, hp/liter 78.5
    Power-to-weight, lb/hp 5.00
    Max engine speed, rpm 6500
    Transmission 6-speed manual
    Axle/final-drive ratio 3.22:1/2.25:1
    Suspension, front; rear Upper and lower control arms, coil-over shocks, anti-roll bar; upper and lower control arms, coil-over shocks, anti-roll bar
    Brakes, f;r 15.0-in vented disc; 14.0-in vented disc
    Wheels, f;r 19 x 9.5; 20 x 12.0 forged aluminum
    Tires, f;r 275/20YR19; 345/25YR20 Pirelli PZero Rosso
    DIMENSIONS
    Wheelbase, in 106.3
    Track, f/r, in 68.8 / 67.3
    Length, in 188.0
    Width, in 78.3
    Height, in 41.0
    Min grnd clearance, in 4.0
    Curb weight, lb 2750
    Weight dist, f/r % 40/60
    Fuel capacity, gal 19.0
    TEST DATA
    Acceleration, sec
    0-30 mph 1.5
    0-40 mph 2.0
    0-50 mph 2.6
    0-60 mph 3.6
    0-70 mph 4.3
    0-80 mph 5.2
    0-90 mph 6.5
    0-100 mph 7.7
    0-100-0 mph 12.4
    1/4 mile, sec @ mph 11.36 @ 127.00
    Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 124
    Braking, 100-0 mph, ft 342
    600-ft slalom, mph 69.5
    200-ft skidpad, lateral g 0.98
    Top-gear rpm @ 60 mph 1800
    CONSUMER INFO
    On sale in U.S. Currently
    Base price $395,000
    Price as tested $400,000
    Airbags None
    Basic warranty 2 yrs/unlimited miles
    Powertrain warranty 2 yrs/unlimited miles
    Roadside assistance None
    EPA mpg, city/hwy 10/18
    Range, miles, city/hwy 190/342
    Recommended fuel Unleaded premium
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    0-100 is the Busa's domain, and a stock R1 is not going to match a stock Busa 0 - 100. As for the braking, I don't know the stats, but the R1's time for 0 - 100 (5.62 for the 2004 new and improved R1, according to the magazine, Motorcyclist, May 2004 issue p. 48 is not as quick as the Busa's, but in testing the 2004 R1, its 0 -100 -0 time would surely be less than 12.4 (almost one-half a second - 0.48) as cited in your stats, and the Busa's would likely be better than that. For example, the new ZX-10's 0 - 100 time, Motorcyclist's May 2004 issue p. 62, is 5.45 or 0.62 seconds less than 6.1 as your figure for the R1 shows, and a stock ZX-10 is not going to run 0 - 100 as quickly as a stock Busa. If somebody has stats to prove me wrong, please post them, but I am sure I am right on this.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're right, I haven't riden a Busa. But I have done more than my share of panic stops on a bike. Even with the reduced weight, there is only so much that 2 4" of contact patches can do.

I have also talked with bikes racers who went on to cars. Guess what the hardest adjustment was for them? Yep, they had a hard time adjusting to the late braking points. In fact, the car mag, every now and then, do a bike v car test on the track. Sorry, in the real world, the car always wins.

Back in the day, even a Triumph could out brake a car, but not today.

My only point was that I doubt that either one would be a clear winner. The Busa would probably get to 100 marginally faster, but getting back to 100 is another story.

Take care, Dale

12. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
  13. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    hey Chaa would you post some pics of your Hayabusa & and your other toys? and tell us some about it? how long a rear tire last for example? BTW I'm surprised nobody complain of my pic being 18 times smaller than reality.

14. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    DrTax, I remember a bike vs. car test from a couple years ago where the bike won. It pitted a GSXR1000 against a ZO6 Vette. I forget the publication, but that the GSXR1000 won, it did cause quite a commotion in the car world. The driver for both vehicles was a former professional bike roadracer (I think Kevin Schwanz) who then went on to race cars too. With the new R1 and ZX-10, I think bikes will continue to be competitive against most production vehicles (naturally not against an F1 racer regardless of which professional would drive it).

15. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Nice day today, so i took my Busa out for a good blast, then did a 0-100 run....F**K ...before you know it your at the ton, as for breaking the bike stops with no fuss what so ever,and stops fast, NO FUSS!! I drive some bloody powerful cars from lambos to ferraris, but nothing i have drove touches the busa. I wonder what a turbo on a busa will be like, i have always wanted one and will get one. I also wonder how one of those three wheeld busa engined cars feel like, has anyone got one.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have no doubt that your Busa is beyond an animal. For the true road experience, nothing beats a bike... except for the nitwit on a cell who pulls out in front of you <sigh>.

Keep the rubber side down, Dale

17. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Your not kidding, that happend to me two years ago when a car driver at a giveway saw me comming at a 30ish mph......and she just pulled out when i was only 10 feet away, F**K!!!! WHAT???? I went flying over the top of the car and wrote of my Kwack ZZR 1100. Your right,when you ride everyone wants to kill you.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Last time it happened to me, I decided to switch to sport cars. The only good news was that the "Female Dog" never saw me and, thus, keep on going. I was able to dive underneath and missed her back bumper by inches.

Sad to say because I have been riding for almost 40 years. It's just no fun anymore.

Dale

ps But I may get back into dirt bikes. Who knows?

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I finally had my first bike experience the other night. I had ridden a few dirt bikes and stuff but never been on anything with some real deal power. A friend that just returned from Iraq just bought the new Kawasaki 600 (which he said is a 636 I think) and was dying for me to take it for a spin. I took off through my neighborhood and was amazed at how quick they are to take off. The whole time I was on it I kept laughing to myself at how wild a Busa must be and how insane it would be to nail the throttle on one. After a few miles I began to feel fairly comfortable and took it through a few curves. As luck would have it just as I was rounding a bend sitting right in the middle of the road was a possum the size of a big cat sittin dead in the middle of the road. Of course I had to options...right or left. I pick right he goes right and all I could do was grab a handfull of break and lock up the rear tire. The backend slid out a little and I proceeded to do a fairly graveful slide. However I discovered then the stopping power of a bike. I came to a dead stop at least twenty yards before I even got close to the animal. It scared me to death but I almost laughed to myself at how I stopped so fast yet so far from it. The ride home was nice and slow as I took in what had just happened on my first ride out on a bike. It's definitly not always the driver that hits something but the unexpected that can ruin your day. Once I got back I also realized that if I had layed it down who would have believed that there was a possum in the road. That is the ultimate squid excuse and nobody would have took my story. However all said and done I have now caught the bike bug and hopefully will have one in the future. Keep an eye out for those possums guys!

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It's the deer that you have to really worry about.

Couple of points. Take a MSF course. They will teach you about countersteering which is the most powerful tool to know when riding a bike.

Second, never, never, never abandon ship. Laying a bike down is probably the worst possible thing that you can do. In fact, most single bike accidents happen when someone takes a corner too fast and freaks. Instead of riding it out, they stand the bike up which makes it go straight. Not a good thing to do in the middle of a corner. Particularly with the modern bikes that sucker will hold long after you have given up all hope.But even on my old rat trap Triumphs, I have been in turns where the bike was flexing like a hula hoop, but the bike still held.

All you gotta remember is that the shiny side goes up and the rubber side is supposed to stay down.

Take care, Dale

21. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Dale,
    I'm definitly doing the MSF course before I even think about going down to the dealer. I realized really quick that I have a lot to learn and from hanging around all the motorcycle forums for a long time I've seen what can happen if you don't know what your doing. It's too bad something so fun is so dangerous but then again I wonder if that's part of the thrill. I plan to take this all very slowly with my fingers crossed and any more advice is gladly appreciated.

If a Saleen can stop faster than a bike then it sure is one hell of car!