Carbed 308 Maintenance | FerrariChat

Carbed 308 Maintenance

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Barnone 308, May 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    After reading many threads regarding 308 maintenance, I was interested in knowing what experiences fellow chatter have on this. I myself have a 1978 308 GTS, I just go the car, and have no idea when I should perform preventative maintenance. With the help of all chatters, especially the good heart of spasso I was able to replace fuel lines, and all fluids. However, on a thread a read awhile back, someone had said that they change spark plugs, fluid, and sychro and adjust carbs, timing, and clean distributors every year. Is this required?.. What are your experiences? , I am interested to know, and I am sure many prospective and current 308 owners would like to be enlighted. I myself have only owned mine for a few weeks. But I have been reading threads from ferrarchat since 2001. Best reading I do. The Girlfriend reads Harry Potter, I read Ferrarichat?..

Thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Change the oil with mileage, the plugs when they foul, brake fluid bi annually.
    I just change gearbox lube after seven years, who knows how old it really was??

Hope you NEVER need a distributor cap, ditto recalibration, but I've done that once in seven years, again..when it runs bad,

May need wires every few years.

GOOD Idea on fuel and all evap system lines. Go Goodyear!

What else? Congrats, just drive it, man.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's actually a service schedule in your Owner's Manual.

A good shop should have it too, if yours is lost.

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    The carbs shouldn't need anything if they are working correctly. Sync'ing them is a set-and-forget operation, if done correctly.

If it's not running well, you could need a sync job. And possibly an O/H if there is any fuel seeping anywhere.

Having said that, it would still be a good idea to O/H once every quarter century or so to get rid of possibly tired parts such as the needle and seat, etc.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's exactly it. These things don't need as much as some would lead you to believe.

I bought new license plates and a driver's side carpet for mine today.
    Touched up the Boxer Trim paint.

But then we're getting ready for a parade this weekend!

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fuel lines and a couple of Fire extinguishers. Big ones!

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Quote: "change spark plugs, fluid, and sychro and adjust carbs, timing, and clean distributors every year"

Yes every year to:
    spark plugs, oil, coolant, and brake fluids.

Once in a blue moon to:
    adjust carbs and synching them.

As needed on:
    timing, distributors. But not every year!

Every 20 years: all rubber hoses of all kinds, especially the fuel ones.

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Two months ago I bought a 77 GTB with 22k miles. a very clean car, ran well, but no service records as the po did all of his own work, and he is in the process of coming up with all of the various receipts for the 19 years of ownership.
    so, I have been looking into potentialy hazardous problems like suspension noises, fuel smell, seat belt adjusters, checking the brakes, looking at fluid conditions etc, etc.
    More to your point, maintenance is recommended by manufacturers on a mileage or time basis; and apropriately shortened by adverse operating conditions.
    I would start comparing the service records with the factory service schedule, (you have the owners manual, don't you?).
    Spot on, or more frequent maintenance is a good sign. If you are seeing a good, (more than required) service history, you will probably be ok if a few are missing. I would be very carefull about potentially catastrophic items, like the timing belts.
    In the absence of things like fluid leaks, bad noises, things not working, poor performance or obvious problems like bad tire wear, I would start doing maintenance, "by the book", (or more frequently with cause - like tracking the car).
    As an alternative, if you are flush, or have the time, skill and inclination, you could do all of the maintenance in one massive bonanza of indulgence to get the car to a known good working state, then set up your own maintenance schedule based on that starting point.
    I have learned a great deal from this chat group about bringing my almost 30 year old car up to modern automotive levels with things like oil, air filters, brakes, tires, ignition, exhaust and many other repairs. Many of these upgrades or advances in technology wil help ease the cost and frequency of repair, e.g. Electronic Ignition.

regards,
    chris