Does anybody know any good auto transporters... | FerrariChat

Does anybody know any good auto transporters...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by silverf1modena, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Are there any reliable but fairly reasonable priced transporters in the Atlanta/Dacula area? I need to have my car transported from Dacula to Cali. I am looking at around the $500-$750 price range. I would appreciate any leads or advice. Thanx guys!

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think you'll end up paying much for than that if you go enclosed. All car shippers are REALLY busy right now, and don't seem too inclined to work with you on the price.

I shipped Orlando to Albuquerque, was about $1500. Oakland, CA to Albuquerque looks to be about $1100!

I'd say if you go with a professional carrier, enclosed, you're looking at $1200. Try http://www.intercitylines.com/ and http://www.passporttransport.com for starters--just call and get some quotes. You'll need to specity WHERE in California, of course!

--Mike

3. silverf1modena

Thanx alot Mike! Yea, I guess it's better to pay for the safety and reliability issues. Are there any more leads?

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Intercity Rocks! :)

5. GaryA

GaryA Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    Full Name:
    Gary Almond
    I transport cars in a single-car enclosed trailer and would be happy to discuss your transport needs with you. Feel free to give me a call at 240 994-1343.

Gary

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Well I'm having mine trucked tomorrow from Savannah to Atlanta for a supercharger install & back. This guy transports exotics, etc too. JJ Toy Hauler at (770) 460-6971. Let you know how it goes.

7. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I agree with Steven....go with Intercity. They will cost a bit, but they do a VERY professional job. Your car won't even get dusty...they really know their jobs. I had a Porsche race car brought up from Florida a few years ago and was very pleased with the way it all worked out. And they had a couple of major league expensive cars in the trailer when they dropped (no pun intended) mine off.

Kevin

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    GaryA hauled my car from FL to CA 2 weeks ago. He took extreme care to avoid any damage, called me regularly to give updates and arrived ahead of schedule. Gary is your man for the job. I highly recommend him.

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Sent you PM.

10. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I brought mine in from San Jose to Cincinnati a little over a year ago, via enclosed carrier. I got quotes from three major carriers, and they were all within $50 or so of $1600. Both the seller and I were very particular about things like insurance coverage and limits, top rack vs. bottom rack, etc. The lesser of these carriers had more limited insurance and damage policies. We chose Horseless Carriage (supposedly the official transport service for Ferrari NA), and were very pleased.

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I used this company as a local friend here in Indy only uses them to transport his collection. http://bigskyexpress.com/
    I had Rock bring my 360 from Shelton Ferrari in Fort Lauderdale to Indy. He called me along the way and delivered the car wherever I desired. He uses a single level transport trailer. He uses no 'depots' for switching trailers and lost time involved. I can't say enough good about him and as another benefit, he was $200 cheaper than Intercity and one other company. After my drop he was on his way to pick up two of Nicholas Cage's cars in Pittsburgh bound for the West Coast.

12. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Update. I'm trying to get Intercity to get my car from CA to Albuquerque. Even for a California pickup, they're three weeks out before they can schedule the car for pick up. I could barely get them to ACCEPT my f-ing business yesterday because they were so "booked out." They definitely weren't working very hard for my business on the phone, and I sure as hell am not going to do business with that sort of attitude.

Forget that. Rule #1: If you don't care of the customer, someone else will.

So, I went with Passport Transport AGAIN (repeat customer, and I get a discount!). One week to schedule pickup, one week in transit MAX. Price is 10% to 15% higher than Intercity Lines, though. Passport is 100% fully insured up to 100k for anything--scratch, damage, total loss. I've worked with them before and was pleased with their service. Ferrari of Central Florida has them on their "Recommended Transporters" list. Only thing is, for that first Orlando to Albuquerque shipment, it was two weeks in transit, which is a little on the high side time-wise. In this case, I expect 4 to 8 days for the Oakland to Albuquerque delivery.

Here are some pics. Let me know if you want more pics, I have them.

--Mike

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    jI have used five transporters over the years but have found Shilli Specialized to be very nice to work with, knowledgeable with exotics and both communicative and timely in their promises. Very good company.
    Avoid Sutherland Transport at all costs.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Passport Transport ...

Heh, nice to hear good words from Mike! Passport was founded and owned by my uncle until two years ago when they sold the whole company to FedEx. I had them ship several cars for me (some to California, some to North Carolina). Service has always been outstanding.

:)

15. silverf1modena

Thanx soo much guys! WoW!!! I had no idea there were so many good places. I guess the biggest problem lies on getting a time schedule down huh? It seems that everyone is booked(according to the previous posts). Are most of these transporters based in Atlanta?

16. silverf1modena

Gary I pm'D ya! Check your messages^_^!

17. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    One other I haven't seen mentioned above is Gold Rush. http://www.goldrushmotorsports.com/

I was very pleased with their service (last autumn). New York to Las Vegas was $1350.

18. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Gary,
    I need a Ferrari shipped from Chicago to Atlanta. Do you do Southern runs? How much would it cost?

Thanks,
    Rick . . . .