Getting Emissions on an Exotic (in Atlanta) | FerrariChat

Getting Emissions on an Exotic (in Atlanta)

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by karmavore, May 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Maybe this isn't a big deal, but do you all just go to those random emissions tents or someplace that is used to handling nicer cars and not ubiquitous people movers?

Luke.

2. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm glad you brought this subject up again for the metro atlanta area. I posted the identical question a few months back and didn't get much response. Still interested in hearing what people do. It's hard to imagine guys taking their 355s to one of those yellow tents and having the test done

3. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I take my cars to a friend now.Before that,I would scope out a garage that wasnt busy,and take it there.Never did the tent thing.Cant imagine.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I went to Ed Voyles Honda (where I have my Civic serviced) and they did fine with the Ferrari.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I just use the closest little tent and have never had a problem. It's just a car guys...good grief!

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    It has nothing to do with it "just being a car".I wouldnt bring any of my cars to the tent set-up.I dont like to wait.Also my lambo's dont fit well on the testing equipment in the more temp type locations.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Its just that the thought of some grease monkey who's never been in anything nicer than a Camry squeezing into my new Lotus with a pen in his back pocket and a hard-on to rev through my gears that gives me sweets...

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well, if you're so "sweet" on the idea, what's the problem. I had ex-TR, which is a w..i..d..e car as well as my ex-348 Spider and M5 all done at a little tent off Jimmy Carter Blvd. several years in a row with no problem .

9. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    In my case it wasnt the width,but the clearance.The dyno types are all made a bit different.I look for the ones that the rollers are near flush with the floor.

10. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    took my 355 to a tent. actually didnt even need to go inside the tent. they just hooked up the computer for a few seconds and printed my receipt. no rollers or rev's needed. no complaints.

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Anycar '94 and older has to have dyno rollers.

12. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    OBDI -94 = Dyno
    OBDII 95+ = Computer

13. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Are you trying to ask how can you take your car to a tent and let some high school kid drool on your car while trying to perform the dyno run without buring your cluch?

I happen to be lucky where I live. There are alot of tents up to do emissions, all run by teenage boys. As much as I would love to show my car off to one, I just don't want to here "how much horsepower you got? 500? 600? Is that the new mustang?"

The one tent I do go to though is a guy that is a total gear head. He always has some nice car or bike on the premisis he drove there. I initially went to his tent with the Benz, got to know him and realized he was the perfect guy to test the old 308.

I guess what I am saying is I picked my location on looks, what was on the outside as well as the people on the inside.

14. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Agreed! Thank you!

Mind sharing the location of this ubsacle tent?

15. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    forgot about that. last time I did one of my older cars they let me "drive" on the rollers. do they still do that or are they too liability-sensitive these days?

16. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I have to agree. I hate the feeling and look of the teenager when they see me pull up in a Ferrari, their eyes start gleaming becuase they are about to drive someone else's Ferrari. I hate that. Emissions suck, I wish I lived in Forsyth county.

17. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I'm not sure I'd go that far... :)

Luke.

18. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Luke,

Yeah, I can equate with your concern. In the past, I have found several emission testing facilities that are not the "tent type", but rather a drive through garage or building. There are several like this in my locale. The rolling dyno test is actually fairly simple, in that the test is run at a constant speed of 2,500rpm, usually in 2nd gear for 1 minute. Sometimes the test has to be repeated if the speed is not held constant and the computer complains about it. I always ask the attendents, or tell them, that I will sit behind the wheel and never had anybody say that I couldn't. All they do is hook up an inductive rpm sensor and stick the sniffer up the exhaust pipe and swing the computer test screen in front of you so you can watch the readout to hold that constant test speed. They will also check the gas cap for pressure leaks, and try to see if your cat(s) are still in place. In many cases with exotic cars, the cat's are tucked away from site, and if you pass the rolling dyno test, they usaully don't even look for the cats, as you must be underneath the car to view them in many cases.

Then, pay the "grubby" gov boys their money, and your done.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    4re308, FYI, Forsyth county requires emission inspections too!

20. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks Brian. I found a nice older gentleman near my home who was operating a tent facility to do the test. He was very careful with my $150K Lotus. :) (I corrected him)

Luke.

PS, he said my car had the lowest emissions readings he'd ever seen!!

21. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    It's not close. It is in Hiram (Paulding County) on Hwy 92, across from the Hiram Hickory House BBQ restaurant in a metal tent.