Stradale stock sound level - under 103dB? | FerrariChat

Stradale stock sound level - under 103dB?

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, May 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Does anyone know whether a stock Stradale, at full song, generates less than 103dB? I have to think it will be ok, but I'm a bit concerned about the Laguna Seca sound limits. Thanks, Will

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Don't know yet... but I'll be checking it in the next week or two... I think we'll be okay.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) can it be driven under 103dB
    or
    B) can it be DRIVEN correctly under 103dB
    or
    C) can you run it as is at Laguna with noise restrictions in place
    ?

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'd be interested to know the answer - not because I'll be going along - but to know what's been done to the US pipes over the ones we have here, which certainly wouldn't pass the 103db limit, although thinking about it they pass right through and on past 110db too!

5. GTRPower

GTRPower Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Err... add-

D)at what distance is the 103dB measured from the source?

103dB is really loud if you're blowing that rating from the nearest dB meter on the track- at turn 6 I think- about 50 yards from where you *should* be on the track if I recall correctly. People make exhaust extensions that direct the exhaust to the left side to hopefully get around that issue... but- I think that most cars get busted for the lower dB rating. 103dB is significantly higher than what most track events there are allowed to generate- I think in the high 80's dB range.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    >110dB from 50 yards??? That would be ear-blowing from 2 yards (i.e., inside the car).

Worst case, I think, will be the need to short shift from turn 5 to turn 6... given I've been having a blast short-shifting all the way through break-in, I think short-shifting that one straight won't be too big a deal. 103db from 50 yards is no problem, even in race mode, short shifting at 5-6k rpm.

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    has been discussed before : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2952

8. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not sutre if any of you listened to this but the sound on this short video (posted before) is what was recorded inside the car with the windows open. Everybody who drove with me that day commented on just how loud the car is.

http://rhhome.mysite.freeserve.com/autoitalia2004.wmv

In the UK the sound measurement is supposed to be taken I think from 1 meter but others here (wazza et al) would confirm that

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Worst case, I think, will be the need to short shift from turn 5 to turn 6"

Beats lifting, or swerving to driver's left after 5 to try to get away from the sound station. The Skip Barber folks have looked into this, but I can't remember their conclusions. Think I recall that humidity was a factor.

I agree that 103dB seems a high limit. Isn't Lime Rock 93dB?

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Does anyone know what the limits will actually be? Most of the time Laguna uses 92dB, and even the stock 360 won't get by that one without lifting.

Gary

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    103dB. The details are here: http://www.fca2004.com/FAQ.html#track

Here's the relevant excerpt:

What is the maximum sound levels permitted?
    Laguna Seca Raceway is a Monterey County Park. As such, it is governed by strict regulation for maximum sound levels permitted. We have negotiated the highest available limite of 103db for all 3 days of our track rental. We recommend you begin planning for how you will meet the sound limit. Sound levels are monitored by a Monterey County sound station, positioned on the outside of the track between turns 5 & 6. It is manned by county personnel (at our expense) and they have the ability to shut down the event if sound levels are exceeded. Some participants had difficulty with this in 1994 because they did not adequately prepare. We'd hate to see you bring your car across the country only to be told you can't run because its too loud. But, it CAN happen. Our advice at this time would be to prepare your car for 103db and be prepared to do more, if necessary. Weather conditions can impact the sound levels measured.