F40 V Porsche GT2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 V Porsche GT2

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Egad! Not a good look... must be a go-fast thing.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I wrapped the 512TR air filter boxes in heat reflective blankets, which seemed pretty effective & I could feel a small increase in power. I took the blankets off cus they were a bit complicated & ugly & I had the boxes coated with heat reflective paint which makes them look nice, I think the blankets were probably more effective though.

I wrapped the intake on my Mitsu 3000GTVR4 which is a twin turbo & saw what must have been a 30hp jump, impressive but cooling the intake is more effective on a turbo engine.

Basically cool dense air allows more air to be packed into the engine than hot difuse air which is less dense, thus less air

If you look at a race car or airplane engine they wrap everything they can find to keep the intake air cool, so you know it works or they wouldnt do it

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hey, Gold foil shielding worked for the space program, didn't it? :)

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, but they were shielding for all sorts of nasty radiation, not just heat... so a heavy metal that doesn't corrode is a bit more reasonable investment.

Any suggestions for sources of nice-looking heat-reflective insulated material?

6. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    And for the McLaren F1...

Greg A

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Also, the 360 intake boxes have a hole in the bottom (to allow water pulled in to naturally drain out). I wonder if the air pressure from forward motion is greater than the engine draw, or vice-versa? IOW, I wonder if, in motion, air is being sucked in from the VERY HOT engine bay through those holes in the bottom of the intake?

I wonder if it would be worth running a hose from the bottom of those to the bottom of the car, so that it is sucking from the outside air below the car. That would also prevent that water from just dripping down on the hot engine/exhaust parts, making a mess... it would drip neatly out the bottom.

Thoughts?

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Brian
    I wonder if that hole tunes the flo or prevents turbulance. Ingested water would help atomise the fuel and make the car run better no?

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    [For the 360 I would suggest getting the air boxes painted in heat reflective paint, you can get it in several colors. The 360 probably has snorkels under the fender like the 512TR. You probably have to wait for the engine to come out to access them more easily, ask your mechanic what it would take to pull them you can wrap them in reflective material & have him reinstall them. I'm sure you will see some power gain, maybe 10 hp or more. Also you can paint the tubes that go from the air boxes to the engine. Reflective paint looks better than material so it would be my choice for the visible parts

10. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    If you didn't care... you could drill a decent size hole in your airboxes, and run dryer hose (or some "racing" equivelant) from the airbox, to the snorkles on the fenders, but you've gotta be willing to butcher your airbox.
    Another option is carbon fiber airboxes; a matrix/lattice type material, like carbon fiber, more readily dissipates heat b/c it has more "open space" in it's structure, but that isn't going to get you the positive charge of cold air that you're looking for.
    I wouldn't run anything to the bottom of the car , b/c it wont last very long (as evidenced by my brake ducting -- which get replaced, often).
    Lastly, even with a challenge grill, I think it'll take quite a bit of "engineering" to noticably lower intake temps on a 360 for the very simple reason of where the exhaust is; you could wrap your exhaust pipes, etc., but that's not at all pretty. There are, however, thermal coatings available that insulate exhaust parts, but then taht leads to a higher rate of failure/fatigue to the coated components (not immediatly, but over time, it can happen).
    Heat is one of those annyoing quantities that you can't just whisk away, and so anything you do one end, gets affected on the other side.
    In the end, however, I don't think the effort is worth the gain. The 360 is a pretty efficent motor, and the money you spend chasing nominal hp gains on account of intake, could be much better spent on reducing weight, etc.
    hubert

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Note that the 360 already ducts intake to the outside (the upper inlet you see on the driver's side "hips" goes to the intake). So, bigger isn't needed... just need to keep out the very hot air in the engine bay.

The 360's bottom is nearly sealed... I wouldn't expect to have any issues here. At most, I may need to cut a hole in the bottom tray and do something to fasten the bottom of the tube there. Or I can just follow the example of the radiator overflow... maybe even tie into the same tubing.

You might be right... and why I haven't done anything to date... but also why William's comments so interested me. However, in the case of the 360, I think it makes more sense (as William suggested), to wrap the existing intake tubing to keep the heat out rather than trying to wrap the exhaust to keep the heat in (and suffer the issues that you mention).

If I were talking about my 360, you'd probably be right. But I am talking about my coming Stradale... in which case, I think Ferrari has removed all the weight that's cheap to remove, plus some that's expensive to remove.

The question then is this: Did Ferrari not insulate the intakes because:

1) it won't have any notable impact on performance?
    2) it wouldn't look pretty through the glass?
    3) they just didn't think about it?

I think #3 highly unlikely; not sure on #1 vs #2; hence, my curiosity about William's results with heat shielding.

Brian

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Brian, you forgot #4, they're too cheap :)

AS for not looking good the airboxes I had painted look better than the stock black ones + they are more functional

13. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    William,

Do you have pics of your road car air boxes and of the racer's re plumbed air intake?

14. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    LOL... no, I rejected that one... given all the other money they spent on the 360, if they could get 10 extra HP from heat shielding, I am sure they'd consider that a bargain.

Yeah, when I spoke of look I meant if you go all out and use insulated heat shields wrapped around it... might seem a bit
    cheesy. I guess, ideally, I'd use some of the insulated ducting that's going into the building I am constructing... hmmm...

But, I'll second the call for pics, William. I'd love to see your painted airboxes.

Thanks!

Brian

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  16. steve2814

steve2814 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    #41 steve2814, Nov 27, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. steve2814

steve2814 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    #42 steve2814, Nov 27, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Gracias for the pics amigo!

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    William H,
    Which of your race cars has the 470 hp V12?

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The 512TR on my profile has 470 dyno'd hp, only mod, so far, is a Motech ignition system