Another Track Event | FerrariChat

Another Track Event

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Dom, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    At the big track at Willow Springs, Friday May 21. Cost is only $120 for the day.

http://www.redlinetrackevents.com/event_may.html

I am going to try to attend. Good news is that my in-laws are in town, allowing me to escape. Bad news is that it may be tough for me to take that day off from work.

I did a track event with this group once before, was alot of fun. Gotta love the price (why does it seem that ferrari track events are always $300 and up???).

Dom

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    OK, I signed up today. Anybody else interested in this event???

Come on, don't be a *****.

Dom

3. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I'm in. I just signed up.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I MIGHT be in as well. Let me check my school schedule.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hey guys I'm 90% in. What group are you guys running in? I suggest intermediate or advanced since they make novices go through a few hoops. Personally, I like advanced groups less crazy guys trying to get from int group to advanced group.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm in the beginners group. I don't have that much track time under my belt, and it seems like everytime I get a chance to go, it's been so long since my last event that I've forgotten everything I learned...

Things to work on: 1) Relax and be smooth 2) Consistency

Dom

7. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    This is an event for all types of drivers and any type of car?

Well how many cars will be on the track?

I would not want to be on the track with a big dollar F car and a bunch of 18 year old kids driving hondas and such, I don't have a Ferrari (yet), but still asking on behalf of a few people I know.

Seems it would be better to be on the track with other Fcars and pay a little more. But thats just my personal opinion.

8. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Is this a place where I can pop my beast? Both the car & I need to maximum it out. I want to hit 200 miles per hour in my sweet thing.

Yes, I know the maximum speed per the factory is 199 mph. Since it has traveled much miles, it is loose which gives it a few extra pops. 203 to 205 is my machine's max.

9. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    This event is a bargain. Judging from the sign up roster, there aren't going to be many drivers on track (so you don't have to worry about encounters and drivers with bad attitudes). Just because someone drives a F-car doesn't mean they are any better skilled or any more responsible.

I've been on track where an F-car driver spun out on straight a ways and did some pretty bone headed moves throughout the day. This particular driver actually got out of his car and walked along the side of the track while the caution flags were out! You'll get a good feel for who the boneheads are in the first sessions. In many cases the 300 series cars have more to prove on track, than the higher end F-cars.

This is a great opportunity for you to learn more about your car's characteristics and your own limits. WS is not a technical track and is usually very forgiving. Buttonwillow is a whole different animal!

If you are worried about paint damage, get a nose bra or tape up the front end (and your mirrors). The desert kicks up lots of stuff.

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    For those on the fence you really don't have to worry about others. You are more likely to cause you own damage. This is not a race. This is a driving event where the goal is to go fast within your limits and explore what your car can do. There is no cops and no radar so you just enjoy you with the car. You can go as fast as your skill and car will allow. I run with hondas and low end cars all the time. It is just plain fun and there is lots of respect out there. The problem is the very few postering big swingin dick types with really powerful cars and very small brains. The track is big enough to always stay away from such individuals. If I know one of those guys is coming up on my six I either smoke him or back off and let him think he got by the Ferrari. It is no Big deal. Get out and drive. Tracking a fast car is a must do.

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I think Redlinetrackevents has a maximum of 60 people per event, divided into 3 run groups of 20 each. Pretty typical of track events that I've been to. The fact that this event is on a workday (Friday) means that there is less likelyhood of the event filling up.

I've been to several track events now (1 in the ferrari), and have never had a problem with idiot drivers. If you see someone doing something stupid, stay away. Besides, idiots can drive ferrari's too.

Bart: Willow Springs advertises itself as the fastest track in the west, so if you bring your 550, this is hopefully the place for it to happen.

I am signed up, and have made my payment, so I will be there no matter what. Hope to see some of you there.

Dom

12. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    What additional restrictions do they place on the beginner group?

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Bad idea judging someone by the car they drive. I'd rather run with competent drivers in Honda's than a bunch of other Ferrari's that may have careless drivers.

Granted I'd be concerned about age, but I've seen drivers in their early 20's in Honda's that not only drive better, but are "safer" drivers than the older guys in their more expensive cars.

Sorry, Hubert comes to mind, and he drives a Honda in an advance run, and drove it not only faster, but was far more cognizant of every one else on the track.

In a perfect world, all Ferrari drivers would be great, yet safe drivers. Alas, we don't live in that perfect world...

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jeremy,

you have to ask redline. but most groups require novices to be in the classroom for some part of the day. Some require that the first session for their group be parade laps with increasing speeds and folow the leader before they let you go. I think that is good for the 1st timer on the track but if you have done it before you don't need it. I did a redline event before I think they just had some class time after the drivers meeting. I wasn't in novice so I don't know what was done.

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    When I ran with redlinetrackevents, they had a beginner class session prior to the first run. The first few laps afterwards were follow the leader, then you were on your own.

The also have an option for an extra $30 for a beginners class. If you take that option, they meet before every session to discuss driving techniques, etc. Also have an instructor you can take with you during your runs, which is really helpful. I'm thinking about signing up for the beginners class again, since I feel that I can never stop learning, but mostly because I think having an instuctor with you really helps you learn the track.

Dom

16. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I wish I could go. DAMN!!! That's a great price. I hope everyone has a great and incident-free time.

Manny

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jeremy and Dom,

I just paid so I'm in! I'll see you guys at the track. I'll have the 348 as pictured in my Avatar pulled by a metallic grey suburban. Come and pit by me. I'll probably locate where there are fewer people since my rig is long and gets in the way of others. I travel kinda heavy. I'll have the sun canopy, three chairs and misters out and I'll fire up a mini barbeque. Brautwursts are on the menu so if you want anything else its BYO and you are welcome to put it on the Que. I always have plenty of ice. Anyone else coming?

18. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Great -- can't wait to see you there! Unfortunately, I won't be in the 355 Spider (no roll protection), so look for me in the gray M3 coupe.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jeremy,

Did you ask Redline if you need the rollhoop? Many DE events just require helmet and DOT belts as minimum. I have seen cars run similar events with no hoop.

20. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Yeah, I went to their Web site to see the rules. Convertibles require roll bars/hoops.

21. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    The Porshce Owners Club came by ....nice group.....they asked if i would mention an event this sat they are having....it is a tribute to Le Mans at California Speedway. General Admission is Free. Practices start at 8 am. Lead and follow at noon and Enduro is at 2pm. $20.00 per driver. Goto: www.porscheownersclub.org

If they ask, please let them know that Dusty from Village Coffee Roaster informed you. I am trying to get them here more regularly....perhaps it will help.
    d

22. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    Looks like a good deal. Maybe I'll bring the race car depending how it goes this weekend at Buttonwillow.
    Anthony

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Anthony,

Or Bring out the 308. Show some people how fast it can really go on 1980's street rubber. I actually think it would be funny since nobody knows who you are. hey you hear from Jerry V.?

24. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    Whats up Billybob!

Nah, the 308 won't see a track until it has bigger fans up front, I don't trust those little things. I'm also gonna throw some Hoosier R3S03'S on it for some summer fun...it might convince me to throw it on a track with or without some good fans cooling the car.

I talked to Jerry in March before I went to Greece and he seems to be putting time into his new house and his cars. I'm sure I'll see him at the shop sometime soon. You going to BW with AROSC end of the month?

Anthony

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well, FYI the fans don't do much and your year has pushers even worse. However, the car runs coolest at speed 60-90mph+. The real need for the 308 fans is when you are stuck in traffic. What I did was use the stock fans even on the hottest day and I hard wired them so I could flip a switch and run the fans upon my personal demand. With that and a clean radiator I have never had an early 308 overheat.

Also, did you solve the so4's chunking problem or is everyone doing so3's? The same problem is happening with new kumhos victowhatever successor.

As to BW...No. Will you be there? I will be with TCRA @ WSIR Saturday and helping to tech cars for them. I am free that Sunday which is raceday. If Terry W. or someone lets me pay half I'll do TT's on Sunday and or help out with enduro. I am more likely to show up if you give me a little push and tell me you are racing. Do you have any pull with AROSC to let me in for one of the two days? I have done a bunch of days with AROSC and I can't even get a license out of Steve H. so I can get out of AROSC classroom Hell. I put up with it because they run a nice event and I especially like to run with them at Laguna Seca. In fact I'll e-mail Steve again to see if I can get out of purgatory.