cigarette lighter | FerrariChat

cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Nice new site!

My cigarette lighter light stays on all the times, even with the ingnition off. Furthermore, the lighter itself is operational at all times too.
    I do not mind the lighter but is the light on normal?
    How long would it take for that very small bulb to drain the battery?

Thanks,

Gianluca

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    SWAG :
    About 1.5 months.

Battery probably is about 80A-H, light draws about 0.05A. Figure battery won't start car if it's down to 30% charge:

(80*.7)/0.05 = 1120H, ~46 days.

If you can find specs on the bulb & battery you can get a closer answere. My suspicion is that the above is optimistic & real time is 2-3 weeks.

Bulb shouldn't be constantly on. I think there's some kind of a switch in the lighter socket that may be stuck on. Only use my lighter socket for my cell phone & have never noticed the light so can't be more precise.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Gianluca,

Replaced my lighter socket months ago... On the 1985 Euro 308GTS QV here the female lighter plug has two bottom male prongs for the lighter power (for positive and negative) and also a YELLOW WIRE for the light. While the lighter is always on, the light should not always be active. The light should only be active when the driving/fog/headlights are ON (any position).

A fast fix would be to disconnect the YELLOW wire/plug as this would unhook the power to the light. At some point you may want to investigate why it is always getting power. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Thank you guys, I will investigate the issue.

Gianluca