'87 328 GTS various questions | FerrariChat

'87 328 GTS various questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bobwass, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    just got a 328 gts i'm in love with, absolutely awesome! it feels
    more like a motorcycle than a car. i have developed a
    wish list of things i want or need for the car.
    hope you can help with some of it.

need spare set of keys, ignition and door

need the name of a good ferrari technician in san fernando valley or
    west los angeles

the air conditioning doesn't work. maybe needs a charge. the led
    indicator on the right control doesn't work, is it the fan or the led?

the inside driver's door release goes 'over center' if pulled too
    hard and gets stuck open, just an adjustment?

can i run redline mtl tranny fluid in the tranny? ferrari manual says
    to use 75-90 wt lube, which the redline is, but it has friction enhancers
    for the synchronizers. would it hurt the lsd diff? the diff is not hypoid,
    its just a crown gear. does it have friction clutches for the lsd? why doesn't it use lsd lube?

the drivers exterior mirror is missing the 'cap' at the rear of the mount

power antenna doesn't work, worth fixing?

!! door lock hangs on passenger side, also, i read that the car has power
    door locks, and that the key will lock both sides at once? is it true? doesn't work !!

window lifts are slow. any hope on this? i read reviews from when the
    car was new and they noted this. i guess its a feature, not a fault? ;-)

the tach is very erratic. it reads extremely low. most of the time it
    only reads 2000-3000rpm - even at 40mph in 1st gear. sometimes it will show 4000-5000 rpm, not often tho. of course, all this is with the engine really wailing in my ear.

noise from the right rear, like maybe an outside axle bearing? faint
    grinding whiny noise.

any help/input is appreciated,

bob wass

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Bob

Ign keys Ferrari dealer or Ebay

A/C , The red leds are for the heat control, the Blue knob and corresponding Yellow which controls the fan is for the A/C, look in the front bonnet for the reciever dryer and see if you have any bubbles which would indicate low freon

Door releases are controlled by a cable connected to the handle, probably needs adjustment

Doors are central locking with pass as slave, check fuse first

POwer ant easy fix, check for power at pass rear in trunk

Grinding noise in rear maybe Cv joint, brakes/e brake

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Bob-

Congrats on your new purchase! I also purchased a 1987 328 two months ago.

If you would like a nice ignition key :

http://shop.vendio.com/sodacom/item/536277243/index.html

Cheaper keys can be found on ebay.

My antenna also didn't work properly at first - It was a bit bent - After straightening it out a bit and some WD-40, it works great. If it is more than that, you need to start making sure the antenna is getting power.

If the LED is out on your center console, it may very well be the bulb. You would need to take apart the center console to replace it. I have taken apart my entire interior to re-dye everything and also put in new carpet - Let me know if you have any questions.

For the driver's inner door, you would need to take the handle off to get a peak inside. There is a good tutorial here to explore the inside of the door :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/partsandservice/Carl_Rose/Ferrari%20328%20Inner%20Door%20Panel%20Removal.htm

My driver side window moves pretty good, but my passenger side is a bit slow. If you search the archives on the old ferrari chat, you can find some discussions on how people have fixed this.

That is all I can help with - Feel free to ask me questions you may have (that are non mechanical). :)

Enjoy your new car!

4. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Let's see if I can remember all your questions here:

1. A good locksmith with large blank selection will be able to cut you at least a door key. My locks are a bit finicky so make certain it works.

2. Heater LEDs are notorious for giving trouble; control small heater valve motor & ducting deflector per side. R & L are *not* interchangeable, contrary to what you may have seen posted due to differences in electrical plugs. I removed (gently pry from console) and diassembled, sprayed out with contact cleaner, and now working well. Motors are well-buried under cowl; I removed fabric ducting, shined light and mirror inside to see if ducting moved. Not sure how much this helps you.

3. Redline NS 75-90 is OK for trans; AGIP reccomended LSX (with anti-slip) opinions vary +/- of additives. Royal purple also good choice.

4. OEM power antenna no longer available but recently good replacement posted check in search function; you want black bezel & mast (www.antennaworld.com or somesuch?)

5. I think mirror mount covers are available aftermarket but not certain where (italian car parts?)

6. Cannot help with tach, rear grinding noise, or power door locks except to say door lock button alignment with bezel on door panel can cause sticking. Other aspects haven't required fixing on my car yet.

Just finished immense (47-50 pages w/pictures in Word?) writeup on fault dx and repair of 328 AC system. Also specific article on gearbox fluid change, door panel removal, oil change, and a few others others - some are posted in parts & service section. Drop me an email at [email protected] & I'll get you (and whomever else needs) few complete CDs out in the mail early next week.

Great car - would encourage you to perform your own maintenance to the limit of your ability & you'll enjoy (and appreciate) even more.

:) (sleepily) Carl

5. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I got my spare key off EBay also.

For the antenna I used www.antennaworld.com. The part number is S-41 and it is $25. I got that info off this website.

For the tranny fluid just use the regular 75W90 from Redline (not the NS). It is designed for use in limited-slip manual transaxles. http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

You may end up having to take the tach out and send it over to Palo Alto Speedometer. http://www.paspeedo.com/

6. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Bob,

I had a $35 set of Ferrari key blanks that didn't work when they were cut. The locksmith ordered three extras from her supplier. $4.00 each and they work fine.

See Verell at Unobtanium about the piece for your mirror. I plan to send him one of mine to make a mold.

You'll love the 328.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
  8. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    guys-
    thanks for the quick and complete responses...
    to questions from a newbie.

thanks again

bob wass

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Peteo4222,
    Check with the technical service guy (Dave I think) at Redline...he was pretty adamant that you should NOT use the regular Redline 75w-90 lube in the transaxle. He said the anti-slip characteristics will make the synchros "crunch" on shifts....he recommended using the 75w-90 NS then either live with a little noise from the limited slip on tight turns (parking lot maneuvers) or pulling a 90 degree turn from a stop,....or you can add a little of their anti slip additive as needed (up to 1 %). The standard Redline 75w-90 is the same as 75w-90 NS except it has 4% anti-slip additive which Dave says is way too much for the synchros, and would likely lead to shifting problems.

Pete if you are using the standard stuff, I would like to hear if it is working okay or not, and how many miles it has been in the car; I ask cause I am wondering if Dave is being over cautious or not....

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    BTW, if you order the S-41 from antenna world, for an extra $20 or so, you can order a replacement black mast and black cap kit, to make the thing completely black...looks better IMO on the 328 as it matches the black trim on the car. The standard chrome one looks best on the 308.

11. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    what i was wondering was... if you can use the redline manual trans lube (mtl) which has friction enhancers for the synchors and has worked magic in my bmw's and alfa gtv race car. or would those synchro enhancers work against the limited slip clutches? any try this? is it a bad idea to 'try' stuff in a 328 ferrari? thanks for the help, bob

12. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi Bob.

Well done on joining the club.

We send parts all over the world and you can order Genuine 328 parts in the comfort of your own home at www.owners.ferrari.com

We send 1.1lbs to the USA for as little as $18 next day.

Anything you need, please ask.

Regards.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bob,
    Best to ask the experts at Redline....they're the ones that make and test the stuff...

14. 1988Flash

1988Flash Rookie

Jan 5, 2004
    Hi

I am new to ferrari chat.com and I read your question with great interest. I own a 1988 1/2 328 GTS with 34k miles in great condition, I just bought 12/03. My power door locks stop working a few days ago. I have checked the fuse and cleaned up the contact points at the doors. All OK; I can lock the driver side door when the battery is diconnected but not the passenger side. Do I need to replace contacts at both doors before the power locks engage again?? I am quite concerned since I plan to take this baby out soon and want to lock it.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have read responses you guys have offered to others and they seem to me, to be riight on the money.
    Thank you.

Ciao,
    Alberto

15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    For the key call GT car Parts I just got a folding key for my 348 for $13 normally 50 - 100. their number is 623-780-2200

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    For service, I use Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills. They're an official Ferrari dealer/shop.