HEY ROB !!! I GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU! | FerrariChat

HEY ROB !!! I GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ronsupercar, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Since you own a Ferrari and a track car (RX-7), Which would you rather track. How different are the two.

I know the Ferrari is ment for the street and your RX is modified for track use, But I just wanted to know how good the Ferrari really is....

Ron

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You might want to rephrase the question, he has a Ferrari street car, a Ferrari track car, and the RX-7. :D

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This thread title actually did catch my attention. FYI that if you want me to respond to a thread, be sure to PM or email me the link as I only view about 10-20% of all threads. I'm too busy keeping afloat to actually enjoy reading threads. :D

Anyway, the SRX7 with 115 RWHP can lap most tracks 2-4 seconds faster than the 328 can with stock everything. It's about race vs. street setup, HP doesn't overcome a track handling car and soft tires. That's why I always egged Allan on that my 115 HP Rx7 could take his Diablo on the track. Of course I also new I could out drive him on the track as I think driver ability is the first major factor in lap times.

Which do I like better? I like them both on the track. The Rx7 is quicker and meant for the track. It's also cheap and I don't care about breaking anything. I am also more secure having a roll cage and 5 point harness as safety measures. The cool thing about the 328 on the track is you don't have to worry about cops or traffic hazards. Ferraris have many times the capability that can safely be used on the streets. Taking the Ferrari to the track lets you open it up as much as you want. It's also very good for the car, my 328 runs better for 2 days after thrashing it at the track than any other time.

Since there aren't thousands of road tracks, usually you just get use to the 3-4 around your area. It gets to be the same routine in the same car, I like to mix up the lines and braking points and speeds by switching out between the SRX7, 328, Challenge, and even the BMW.

Did I cover it all?

4. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Rob,
    Thank you for the speed reply. (thanks to the attention getting headline)

But yes, you did answer the question.. I always wanted to know how well a Ferrari measures up on the track compared to a track tuned vehicle.

Anyone else care to put their thoughts on this comparison....

Thanks again Rob

Ron

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A Ferrari is always up there in the top tier of street cars on the track. They're not dominate like some with rossa colored glasses think, but they are comparable. For most cases it comes down to the driver, a good driver can lap a street 328 faster than what a new driver could in a GT2.

However, a few small modifications to a street car can make a world of difference in lap times. I don't believe in doing this in most cases for street cars though as it makes the street drivability worse. Besides just working on the driver, I would modify in order...

1) Racing harness - surprised how much quicker you can be if not sliding around in the seat.
    2) Soft DOT legal "R" tires.
    3) Racing pads (only use on track as they'll eat up rotors).
    4) More aggressive alignment with negative camber.
    5) Springs and shocks - lower car and stiffen.
    6) Complete Brembo type upgrade of calipers and rotors.
    7) Loose weight.

6. boxerboy2

boxerboy2 Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    Sorry for the intrusion here but I have to add my $50,000 here (2 cents just doesn’t cover much these days!).

I currently own two F-cars, a Mondial and a 512BBi, neither set up for track use and a Formula Mazda race car (see http://www.starmazda.com/ ). While I certainly enjoy my street cars and am not afraid to thrash them on and off the track – they kind of has sadistic personality and actually like being beat up and put away wet – there is absolutely no substitute or comparison for a race car on a race track (I put any act two consenting adults could conceivably do in that comparison as well).

I strongly encourage anyone who is remotely interested in exploring the capabilities and limits of a racecar to so and there are a number of programs to get you started – I’m a Skippy Grad.