lake forest ferrari, negotiable? | FerrariChat

lake forest ferrari, negotiable?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by bpu699, Apr 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I might go up there to look at a couple of testarossas they have for sale...

How negotiable are they in price, in general? I have no experience with them.
    Most porsche dealers I have dealt with really don't want to drop the price much, especially in the summer. In fact they seem fanatical about sticking to the asking price (- a token 500$ or so).. Independent stores, on the other hand, are much easier to haggle with.

Anyone have any thoughts on the three testarrosas they have listed? Has anyone already looked at them?

2. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was there today looking at another car but I noticed both of them. Very nice cars. Ask for Tyler Dean or better yet call him first before visiting. Tell him Mike from Milwaukee who just bought a 360 Spider said to call. He is a real straight shooter and he'll tell you out right what the bottom line is on the car. Sometimes you can get a good deal, particularly when it's a consignment car and the owner is motivated to sell. I thought both cars were fairly priced but, who knows, you might be able to get a better deal. One thing to keep in mind is that this dealership will sell you a good car, not some car with stories and issues. Good luck!

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good luck and let us know how it went. Would be wonderful to have another TR on the Chicago streets.

4. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Hello 575Mike,
    You say you were up at LFSC and saw the Testarossas they have on the floor. I have a deposit on the Grigio and I'm coming up from Atlanta next week to look at it. Did you get to see this one in person? Did it look as good as it does in the pictures? I'm working with Tyler and he says the car is very nice but does need the dash re-done. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rick . . . .
    (Sunburn)

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    everything is negotiable, baby.

doody.

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Not death and taxes. Those terms always catch up to you no matter how well of a talker you are or how cunning and quick you might believe you are to be.

RocketBoy

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, I saw it in person. I really liked the car a lot. I thought the color was stunning. Tyler is great to work with because he is honest and knowledgeable. It's funny, I did not notice the dash. If you want to PM you can and I'll talk to you about the car. If I had the money, I would buy it. On that particular car, the color is rather striking. Contact me if you need anything.

8. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Rocket Boy, I negotiate taxes all the time!

As far as death, that's another matter. The ultimate consumation of my endeavors here on earth is to transcend it, God willing.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    yup - death is, thus far, non-negotiable.

but the IRS negotiates every day - they're just really brutal negotiators :)

doody.

10. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    When i was looking for my 328 last year, unfortunately LFSC didn't have one, but i did get a lot of help from Tyler over there while i was learning about the car itself. I have been meaning to get over there and meet him in person to thank him for the help.... Will probably be up there at thier open house on the 23rd to see the new place...

My cousin's Husband bought his new 456 from LFSC and gave them real high ratings, A #1 dealer. But of course we are very lucky here in Chicago land to have two very AWESOME Ferrari dealers in our area.... Had my Major service done over the winter at Continental and they were great also... Also an A #1 dealer too......

There's my 2 cents.... :)

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    The Grigio TR is stunning!

For what its worth, my daughter thought it was cool too!

12. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Sunburn... hope it works out for you... but I wish it would stay around here in sunny Chicago!

13. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I grew up in sunny Chicago (Oak Park) but needed to be able to drive my toy all year so I moved south to Atlanta. Love Chi town though. Can't beat it from April to October.

14. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Arrggh, you placed a deposit on the grigio TR? That thing is a stunner, I've not seen many in that color. 18,000 miles from 1988, a very choice combo. If it were blk/blk I would have lost sleep over it.

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    If it was a Blk TR, i would have lost sleep over it too, then i would have probably done something stupid and go and buy it.... HAH! A blk TR would look real nice sitting next to my Blk 328 in my garage.... :)

16. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Thanks for the thumbs up. I've been looking for a Gregio for a while but they are really hard to find.
    I saw and drove the car yesterday. It has every bit of documentation from when it was delivered to LFSC thru current . . . amazing! They are going to fix a couple of oil seep issues for me and the deal should be done.
    One other thing I noticed that maybe one of you could answer. The clutch is new (about 1800 miles) however when you put the car in gear and only let the clutch out about 1/4 inch the car starts to move. The next 1 1/2 inches of release gives the same slight movement of the car. Then as you get to where the clutch should really release it works as normal. Tyler had his mechanic check it out and bleed the system but the results were the same. He thought since the car sat for a few months the clutch disks might have rusted on the splines so they didn't fully release.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Rick . . . .

17. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    That car does look sharp, thought i would borrow LFSC picture of it and post it here...

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hmmmmm.....I like the White one. Does anyone know the Year and interior color? (hard to tell from this pic.)

I think I may still have a Pastel Sportcoat and Loafers in my closet somewhere....:)

19. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    It's an '87 and the interior is a dark red. It's listed in the DuPont Registry for $64,500.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks. I just visited the LFSC site and saw that. I'd really like a White/White TR. White/Crema next. White/Tan,then White/Black. White/Red....I don't know. I guess I'd really have to see it in person,and it would have to be very negotiable. When I do get a Testarossa,I'd prefer going with an '88.5 or newer. And,more preferably a '92 or newer 512TR. But,if I saw one a little older that I really liked,would consider it.

Probably end up getting Red/Tan,anyway....:)

Not quite ready to get one,but,will be soon. I am approaching 20K miles on my 308,and would like to split the miles between 2 Ferrari's. (Plus....GOTTA have a 12 Cylinder Ferrari! :) )

21. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To sunburn

How did the dash look? Did it need to be redone?

Be sure to post lots of pics of the TR!

22. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    #22 sunburn, May 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Braincuttermd,
    The dash was actually not that bad. I had visions of a real disaster as most dealers REALLY downplay any defects in the cars they are selling but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The leather is really tight around the instrument cluster binnacle but not like some I've see where it rips out of all the defroster ducts. Tyler also had the passenger window motor replaced and at their expense (it was slow and then it stopped).
    The car is currently on its way to Atlanta and should arrive Friday. After a day (at least) of polishing and cleaning I'll post some shots of the new addition. I've attached a couple of shots I took when I was at LFSC.
    I must include the fact that I was very impressed with LFSC. They really worked with me and didn't have that "Holier Than Thou" f-car dealer attitude. This is my 4th Ferrari and the only one I've ever purchased from a dealer . . . thanks Tyler!

Rick . . . .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That sounds like a very positive experience you had with LFSC. That puts me at great ease as I'm not technically inclined, so when I buy a Ferrari, it will probably from a dealer. I'm moving to Chicago in 2 weeks and it seems like LFSC would be worth a visit. Although, I think I'll hit up that Oak St Ferrari show first!

That grigio is a very deep color, great depth, even on pictures. It must have been stunning in person. I'm glad to hear that the dash looked good.

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats Sunburn! Gorgeous color on the car. I am waiting for some pics once you get it home! Congrats again. :)

25. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Hi Sunburn,

I'm curious, why didn't you drive the car back to Atlanta? Didn't want to put the miles on it?

Thanks,
    Adam