Speeding poll | FerrariChat

Speeding poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bkaird1, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How fast do you typically drive on public roads?

1. Below posted speed limit

2. At posted speed limit

3. 10 mph above

4. 20 mph above

5. 30 mph above

6. 40+ mph above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    With the recent threads on speeding, I thought it might be interesting to take a poll of how the members here typically drive on public roads.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    totally depends on highway vs. regular road driving. I'm generally around the speed limit in 40 zones and then open it up on the highway.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Same here, verz respectful of limits downtown, a lot less on open roads and highways, where conditions allow.

4. Catherine

Catherine Rookie

May 29, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Catherine
    My car is a cop magnet. I am either pegged straight on the speed limit in town or I let the car run wide open in safe areas. Driving 20mph over the speed limit just seems to irritate other drivers.

5. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I stick to 30mph or thereabouts about town, but on the highway I tend to go "somewhat faster" - you've not really sped properly until you've beaten the speed limit by +100mph :)

6. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    Generally i do about 80-85 on the highway (usually route 78 here in NJ), but when in town, I will stick to the speed limit, if not a bit under when it's time for all the kiddies to get out of school

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

The latest case that got dismissed I was trying to show off to a surgeon buddy of mine around my neighbour, just about shift to second gear on F1, I got caught at 47 on 25 mph speed limit.

I did not know that 1st gear on F1 on the 360 goes almost 50 mph??

Rev was almost to 8500 rpm.

Luckily the record is still clear so far. Thanks to my defense traffic attorney

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I go 8-10 over pretty much all the time and it doesn't seem to bother the police.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    10 - 15 MPH myself. this is to keep from getting runover by all the morons on the freeways out here.

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I go with the flow of traffic in the city and suburbs, unless they are going overly fast/slow. When I like to have fun on open country/canyon roads I still usually stay around 10-15 mph within the speed limit. I manage to have fun in my car without skidding around corners and breaking too many laws :) On freeways, if they are wide open, Ill cruise around 75-80 along with the other traffic.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It really depends on were I am and what time it is. If I am around town I drive the speed limit. On the freeway If there are no cars on the road I drive the speed limit, just set the cruse control and relax. It is amazing how much faster you get places when you don't have to touch the breaks. During rush hour traffic I drive 20 - 40 mph UNDER the speed limit, LOL. If there is moderate traffic on the freeway I will drive about 10 mph over. What I can't stand is people that don't even drive the speed limit. Quite often I have the cruse set at 65 mph, and will be passing people, left and right. Some people just don't belong on the road.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Catherine, I mean this in all non-offensive ways, but it may not necessarily be the Ferrari the cops are interested in.

In 20 years of driving I've still never received a ticket. Pulled over twice; the first guy didn't want to be "the one" to ruin my record. The second thought I was drunk because I swerved when I dropped something on my lap.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DITTO GILLES DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    F^ck tha police
    Comin straight from the underground

Thank god my dad is one, i have that get out of jail free card

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My basic driving philosophy is to take up the space between my car and the car in front of me...as quickly as possible while watching for cops.

DL

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Darth, you let people get infront of you?????

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Generally do 80 on the freeway, and 35 around town (25mph included, unless it's an obvious school area, etc. in which case I am highly cautious).

--Dan

18. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    This sounds like a quote from some "Teens in Trouble" report on 20/20 or 60 Minutes. By your attitude and word usage, I assume you consider yourself a "gangsta" and try to be cool with your "gangsta" buddies. If you are not a "gangsta" or don't want to be confused with one, then try writing in a language I call "english".

Nobody has a get out of jail free card. Nobody. Nothing is free. If you get let off from a minor violation because your father is a cop, the price that is paid is the embarrassment your father feels when the arresting officer says "This is your son?". If you screw up big time you are going to jail no matter who your father is. You are counting on getting let off because of who your father is, not because of who you are. Who commands the most respect here? And why is that?

Why don't you show your father, the policeman who has been providing for you, the words "F^ck tha police" that you posted here for us.

I think you will find that most Ferrari owners are not characters out of "The Fast and the Furious". Why don't you grow up or find some Honda forum to go play Vin Diesel on.

"Comin straight from the underground" What a load of garbage. Stop being a punk.

19. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    i go as fast as conditions allow, honestly. I dont weave in and out of cars, but if there is an open stretch i will slid up to the next pack of cars (not downshifting, just in whatever gear i am in)

around town i would say 10 mph above roughly, this way if i get pulled over i can talk my way out of it with the ol Ferretti charm :) (and a handful of PBA cards)

20. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Well said Pete!
    These chillins aint got no respect these days...
    *WAIT*
    Im 16! Im a teenager! OMG save us all!
    10mph (usually, give or take 10) on the open road, usually reasonable in the suburbs and cities. Like others have said, school zones are a big
    No-No for speeding!

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I drive the speed limit wherever there might be kids... in neighborhoods or retail along the road. On a highway, completely different story... I go *at least* as fast as anybody else... I don't get passed, anyway. ;)

22. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    When conditions and traffic (read; none) allow, on a windy road diving into a turn, it's the X2, +10 rule ;)

In towns I take it easy, and around schools or heavily populated areas, extra easy.

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Easy Pete, lol.

1)I don't think TestShoot had the intentions you think he did with his qoute. It's a lyric from the song, "F*uck the Police", by Rage Against the Machine.

2)If he didn't mean it that way, I do. F*ck the police! I have met only a couple of good cop in decades. On the other hand I've known many who were racist, drug dealers, physically abusive, and just plain mean SOBs. I've had tickets written to me that were complete fabrication. I've been through long spells of them trying to pin something on me because I'm famous for fighting every last ticket tooth and nail. I've had more than a few officers try to get me to pay them to avoid a ticket. In short, I have little respect for most of the police. I have a friend who is an honest good policeman and good citizen. The stories he could tell about bad cops would keep you up at night.

I speed a little over the speed limit depending on conditions and traffic. I have my V1 and my traffic attorney to run interference with anything else.

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Before i had my current car, it would typically be between 30-40 above the limit... Now i need to be mature about having a car, so i pretty much keep in with everyone else... It's tough, lemme tell you...! :)

25. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I usually follow the flow of traffic. I am usually travelling on Interstate 80 between New York City and Central Pennsylvania. The cars there usually go about 80-90mph. Going 65mph on I80 seems to piss people off. I have never gotten pulled over so far. Everyone usually slows down where the cops are, and there are usually not very many police on I80 in PA. I don't think my car is a cop-magnet either. The MB G500 just looks like a big black box; it's about as aerodynamic as an open toliet seat.