Ferrari Assembly Numbers... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Assembly Numbers...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So since about '87-'88, Ferrari has been putting assembly numbers on its cars... These numbers are exclusive of and seemingly in no way related to serial numbers or body numbers... Anyone have any idea what they're for...?

2. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone...? Bueller...?

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Bueller?????

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i don't think they like me anymore, Pat... :(

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This is really depressing...

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Are you referring to how many units were built within one month or for a selected country? Just a shot in the dark, Carbon.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, William; at least SOMEONE acknowledges that i exist...

That's just the problem, though; we're not sure WHAT the assembly number refers to... i figured i'd post here and hopefully snag some guesses... That's one and good enough to start with... Was hoping someone might know something more definitive, though... Anyway, thanks for replying; you and Pat must be the only folks who DON'T have me on ignore... :)

8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Carb:
    I think it links the orders with the VIN. Most manuf use order/Prod # to link to a specific car. Vin is then assigned to the prod #. I would expect the # to have consecutive sequence, likely based on reciept of order, perhaps with some digit specificity to build/options/distrib/etc. for inventory tracking and just-in-time build. Should also tie in computer to paint/upholstery choices, which can alter/delay production. They build in batches, with the sonderwunsche cars slipped in on the fly.
    Or, I'm FOS.
    Lee

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Carbon, I was talking with a Ferrari paint guy, and he showed me on a TR where the individual body parts had numbers etched on them. Apparently, the body pieces are hand fitted before painting. The pieces are then put on and "racked" to try and get the panel gaps down.

He said that this is one way that you can tell if a car has been wreaked because the etched numbers will be different or missing. Oh, and BTW, he said that the factory uses a LOT of body filler...

You might want to talk to the body guy at FOA to confirm this.

Take care, Dale

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Carbon - I think it may have started sooner than that...
    By way of example, scroll to bottom of page to see physical evidence;
    http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html?http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari407.htm
    That's Tom Yang's 330 America undergoing restoration. *Here again is the Pininfarina Assembly Number for this car. All Pininfarina parts should be labeled "652" on this car which has The Ferrari Serial Number, "4969."*

That's all well and good. But if you flip back the Ferrari pages of time even further, you'll see that Enzo Ferrari was dealing with Assembly numbers even as he was using Alfa Romeo equipment in mysterious ways...

http://www.dunnetwright.co.uk/projects/alfa/alfa.htm
    Read the whole article, but here's the Number portion:
    "Other salient Ferrari pointers are as follows...
    All this is in the manner of Ferrari-modified Alfa Monzas from 1933 onwards of which Ferrari made several. 813392 has an unusual double-throated induction trumpet, pointing forwards in the manner of the Alfa Tipo 158 (also made by Ferrari).
    There was no evidence of the block ever having been damaged and the crankshaft has not been reground. The angled drive mounting from a 6C 2300B is fitted to lower the Bosch distributor. The engine assembly number is 76."

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dale, the numbers you saw on that TR (mmm, Testarossa:)) were body panel numbers; those were put on by the body designer (Pininfarina)... Wax, it's the same thing with Mr. Yang's 330 America... That car, serial number 4969, has, as we all saw via the link you provided, body panel number 652. However, that's the BODY panel number (written by the body manufacturer), not the assembly number that's been on a separate plate conveniently placed somewhere by FERRARI... S/N 4969 has body number PF 68652. The "PF 68652" number is from Pininfarina, not Ferrari... The PF designates the coachbuilder, Pininfarina; the 68 designates the design number and the 652 designates the body number for that series... Body numbers are only sequential within a series of bodies whereas Ferrari assembly numbers are contiguous...

12. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    As far as I know, the assembly numbers indicate the actual sequence in which the cars are built (= their sequence on the production
    line). So, the VIN and serialnumber are assigned when the chassis is made and stamped, while the assembly number is assigned when the car is on the production line.

The assembly number is not related to type, year, country or whatever and is simply sequential. It started with 00001 or so, and now is near 55000.

13. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hey NNO,

whats up with you?
    You sounds so sad, woefully & frustrated:(

Here is a friend in Germany who realy miss you & your posts:)

I will dedicate my next testarossa drive out to you:D

Be strong buddy and the sune will shine again for you.

Yours
    Wolfgang

P.S. I`ll play the "blues" for you and let the cavallino jump for you:)

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I think the story of Edvar is the most correct one since it is already known that the cars are not produced in the s/n order, and they didn't call it assembly number for no reason :) I can not confirm it since I do not have a lot of assembly numbers.

15. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    The assembly number is the number assigned to the car as it starts its build process on the production line.

MW

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Edvar, et al... i appreciate the help...

Thank you, Wolfgang; i wasn't sad, just a little frustrated... Edvar's explanation makes sense, but i'm still left wondering WHY Ferrari did it like that... Next time you drive the TR, i'm sure i'll feel it... Thanks, buddy... :)

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I think it is done to see in what order the cars are built. I think the chassis are built in batches, since VINs are seen in batches too. On the productionline there are different cars behind each other, so they used another number for that.