rear view mirror removal | FerrariChat

rear view mirror removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Hi,
    Anyone knows how?

Thanks,
    Gianluca

2. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    You can remove the black outer trim ring and the glass and mirror will drop out.

3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Thank you for the reply.
    Actually I was thinking of the whole assembly, including the piece that glues to the glass.

I was, however, able to remove it and this is how I did it:

With a small brush, I applied some CA remover around the perimeter of the "glass" piece and waiyed for it to soften the glue a bit. After a while I was able to insert a very thin spatula in a corner for a bout 1 mm or so.
    Applied more remover (with the spatula in place) and after a while I could get the spatula just a bit deeper. At this point I very carefully pried a bit with the spatula and the piece popped right off.

I explained so that others may benefit from my experience. This seemingly easy operation involves a very expensive windshield and that is why I was aking for suggestions.

Gianluca

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gianluca,

I like your method! Where do you get CA remover? Hardware store? Can you just use say nail polish remover or acetone or???
    Where can you find a blade that thin? How about a single edge razor blade held with pliers?

A window guy told me to use a heat gun and then pry the mirror off. I did not like the force method as I was afraid to destroy the window. I like your method better.

I saw a guy who replced my widshield once use a torch on the outside of the glass and just broke the miror off. This cracked the glass however. Perhaps you can do it this way with a careful amount of heat. But...it is scary.

5. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I am aware that heat will remove the CA but I also was afraid about cracking the windshield and that is why I needed another method.

You can buy CA remover at any hobby store that deals with Radio Controlled aircrafts.
    Jet is probably the very best brand for the CA but I think that Bob Smith Remover is just as good and it costs less. If you work a lot with CA (as I do) you MUST have this handy at all times...
    This stuff works very slowly but it does melt cure CA.

A single edge rasor blade should work fine other than it would be hard to pry without breaking it. But it should let you start penetrating the seam to let the debonder do its work.

I think my spatula comes from an art supply store. I think is for oil painting. Anything that is strong yet very thin would work.

Gianluca

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Alcohol will work too. The replacement pad is the same as on a 914 porsche. When taking it off always mark the outside of the window with a sharpie pen, then after cleaning the inside with alcohol apply the pad to the window first, as some of the the mirrors have a hollow mount.

7. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is CA?

8. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    CA is Cyanoacrylate or "Crazy Glue".
    The best are the ones you buy in a hobby store. They will have different viscosities, accellerators (for the real thick CA) and debonder.
    Jet is the best of all, in my opinion.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I accidentally knocked it with a large box I was trying to move and it fell off.

Yes, I used the Ferrari to move stuff. It is only a car.

10. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Is there a way to remove the center rear view mirror temporarily? It is right in the way around tight corners.

Thanks,

ken
    F355 GTS

11. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The answer for temporary removal of the rear view mirror in a 96 F355GTS is to rotate the mirror base in the same plane as the windshield. It is held in place with three captive springs the mount it to the base that is bonded on the windshield. It is easy to remove an replace. Don't pull it straight back.

When I first drove this car around town (I have a Miata turbo) I thought there was no way this big GT could keep up with the Miata through the extreme twisties that are in east TN. Wrong, this car was absolutely made for the twisty back roads. I'm looking forward to returning to them next week without the mirror blocking my vision.

ken