High End Stereo Help | FerrariChat

High End Stereo Help

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Scotty, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    To those who know these things, I need some help. I am reconfiguring my home theater system, and have some component placement questions. The placement is being driven by the wife, so I'm a bit stuck in terms of options.

1) Given the choice, should the cable runs be shorter between input devices and the pre-amp or the pre-amp and the amp?

2) Is there any issue having the power amps sitting next to one of the main front speakers (the amps would be on the floor, and the speakers are towers)?

3) I know this is a better question for the company that made my amps (Krell) but does anyone have thoughts about having the amps stand on their sides instead of sitting flat? I assume this could screw up the engineered flow of cooling air?

Thanks--Scott

2. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael

Scotty,

There is nothing wrong with running a long RCA cable from your Pre-Amp/Processor to the Amps. This where having balanced cables helps for maintaining the purity of the signal. I used to subscribe to 5 different audio/video mags but my H.T. addiction is on a temp hiatus (I moved and can not set up my H.T. in my current living situation).

I have seen in more high end systems where the amp is right next to the speaker so there is as short of a speaker cable run as possible. Plus the sight of a Revel Salon with a Mark Levinson No.33 next to it is OH so pretty!

By the way...what do you have in your current setup?

Mike

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Sorry--should have posted the stuff. It is really mid-fi, but sounds good to me.

Processor: Krell Showcase
    Amps: Krell KAV-1500 and Showcase 7 (2200 watts of power--yahoo)
    Denon DVD-2900 (currently serving as my reference quality CD player)
    Sony ES DVD/CD/SACD etc. 400 disc changer
    Old (OLD) ADS 1290 speakers (but I love the smooth sound with the silk dome midrange drivers)
    Assorted center, rear, side channel speakers.
    Custom through the floor subwoofer
    Old interconnects (hence the question--new Audioquest interconnects to be purchased once I work out locations).

The issue is my wife can't stand to look at stereo equipment, so it has to be hidden/remoted/etc. Since she doesn't say squat about my car habit, I can't really complain.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I love my B&O.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    LOVE MY NAKAMICHI SETUP WITH CROWN PREAMPS AND BIC VENTURA SPKS IT SOUNDS GREAT UNTIL MY WIFE DECIDED TO CLEAN IT WITH WINDEX........

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I am in the process of completing my system in a new location; one of the critical issues was placement of components and proper cooling. I opted for a rack mounted installation, with cooling. MidAtlantic (I believe their url is www.middleatlantic.com) offers a free "white paper" on component cooling which is worth reading if you have not thought seriously about the issue.

I have lived with alot of components in various room configurations over the years and while i find the glow of tubes in the visible audio stage to be cool looking, its pretty distracting. So, all my components are now housed in two separate racks; one for the amps, the other for the low level components. Both are set into an alcove, out of the direct line of sight of the screen.

I do not house the audio only system this way, but using vinyl, i don't have the option of long runs from the source component to the phonostage/preamp; thus the runs typically go long from amp to speaker. Balanced cables will reduce hum, but are they the best option for low level signals?
    As to setting your Krell on its side, i wouldn't do it without calling Dan D'Agostino.:*)

When i get a minute, i'll post pics of my current setup for the a/v system.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Scotty,

>>>1) Given the choice, should the cable runs be shorter between input devices and the pre-amp or the pre-amp and the amp?<<<

As mentioned before, this is where going balanced can help. i would opt for long cable run from pre-amplifier to amplifier. The reason is keeping the loudspeaker cables short PLUS most pre-amplifer can EASILY "drive" a long cable.

>>>2) Is there any issue having the power amps sitting next to one of the main front speakers (the amps would be on the floor, and the speakers are towers)?<<<

That is how i do it :)

As for amplifier stands, i HIGHLY recommend using some type of stand to keep the air flow as amplifier can get hot. If you do not want to get an full stand, using a basic Symposium platform www.symposiumusa.com would suffice.

ALWAYS glad to help.

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin
    http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Since the signals from the originating device to the preamp may be smaller than the signal from the preamp to the amp, the originator to preamp should be the smaller distance/length. However, if we are talking the difference between 3 foot cables for one and 6 foot cables for the other, there is no practical difference.

The only really critical item is the phonograph which is lacking in your setup. The output is so low, that any noise degreades the signal rapidly.

If you want to be really critical, make both speaker wire lengths identicle and put the amp where you like it and hide the extra length under the speaker.

Use the amp in the orrentation shown in the pictographs. With this kind of power airflow is critical; situation the amp where air has easy ingress and easy egress (backless shelf)

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    With a setup of that scale, put all the high wattage parts in one rack and the preamp and other input devices in the other rack. This will electrically isolate the large currents the power amps induce into the electrical system. It would be optimal if the left and right racks were not on the same fuse/circuit breaker, however most house wiring does not accomodate.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    This is a never ending debate about short/long line/power connections especially between US/UK folks – it depends on the ability of your pre-amp to drive long lines which should be a given with most of today’s solid state designs – in the end I would listen to both configurations if you are concerned

I personally subscribe to short speaker / amp bi-wiring and "long" balanced amp/pre-amp wiring – my configuration No39 -> No40 -> 33H -> Revel Salon & Transparent cables

My amps sit next to the speakers and that is fine (moved backwards to not cause reflections) – as mentioned before speaker stands are a must – in theory micro vibrations could influence the electronics; I can’t hear a difference but I also don’t claim to be a golden ear

As you stated placing an amp other than in the manufacturer recommended position risks that convection cooling does not work – I would not do it

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Whatever you decide, get it hooked up and ENJOY IT. Music is food for the soul!!