GOOD or BAD NEWS! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GOOD or BAD NEWS!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by msdesignltd, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George H.

George H. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    George Hoover
    Ferrari have been patenting their car designs since the days of the Daytona rip-offs. Interestingly, the patents credit one Lorenzo Ramacotti as the actual designer of the 355, 456, 550, 550 Barchetta, F-50, 360 and Enzo. Anyone know who he is? (to be valid, design patents must name the actual creator of the design - not the design director)

Also intersting is that Mr. Ramacotti has obtained a recent patent for Ferrari for a retracting roof that looks similar to that of the SSR. Something we'll see on the 360 or 575 replacement?

2. Agree totally with Mitch, except that he forgot the 288 GTO and the California Spyder.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I can agree with the 288 GTO (and it should have made my list), however the Ca Spyder never did it for me, but I can see how it would do things for a lot of people who enjoy the style from that era.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Styling is very subjective. I own a COuntach & when I saw a Countach parked next to a Murcielago I could easily find the Countach details in the Murc, like the front brake ducts the shape of the headlight, the doors of course and more. I like the Countach better but the Murc isnt bad

I also have friends who own Daytonas and they think its pretty obvious that the Maranello is what they call "A Daytona with modern tech'

As for the 250LM/ 360 M its obvious to me where pininfarnia got its ideas from

You are free to disagree if you like

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This is why the Camaro was axed. The last Camaro had no connection to the earlier cars. It actually looked like GMs rendition of a modern Ferrari P4 to me.

Lets hope Ferraris doenst get so disconnected from its roots that it becomes design with no history, That would be very sad considering how many beautiful cars Ferrari has done in the past

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Michelotti? was a guest designer host
    Guigiaro ? didnt he do the GT4 Dino
    Bertone? was'nt that the rainbow
    michelangelo, didn't he design the 250 gto!

Who else was involved back when?
    imagine if Dali designed a ferrari!

The only thing that is constant is change!

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    LOL actually the 250 GTO & 330 P4 are Drogo designs, Maybe the 50s TRs also. The P4s were the most beautiful of all the Ferraris :)

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    William,

I thought Bizzarini (sp?) was credited with being the man responsible for the 250GTO?, and the styling was inhouse, as I thought was the P3/4 (as somebody corrected me somewhere :)).

Anyway it will be interesting to look back at the Enzo, 360, 612 in 10 years time and see how well they have aged.

Some angles of the 360 are not good at all, but others are very good ... so I guess it wins.

I must say as far as styling goes the Murci is the best looking supercar available at the moment. That Lambo is clean and styled, not just a collection of scoops.

If Ferrari is heading in the outrageous direction (Enzo) then the designs will age incredibly fast ... and yes the connection with Japanese transformers has to be made :D

Pete

9. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    If Ferrari is heading in the outrageous direction (Enzo) then the designs will age incredibly fast ... and yes the connection with Japanese transformers has to be made :D

Pete[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the stated design objective for the Enzo was to closely emulate a Ferrari Formula 1 in celebration of their reemergence as the top team in F1. I have mixed feelings about the result, but I believe it met its stated goals.

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Scaglietti designed the 250GTO, they designed most of the race sports cars, Monzas,250Lm,TRs, Pininfarina did the road cars.

Bertone did the 308GT4, the last Ferrari Bertone designed.

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey Everyone,

Interesting note, anyone who has seen my site has seen the photo shoots of the Enzo and Murcielago, Many people gathered around and gawked and to my suprise the overall judgement was that more people liked the murci!

Most remarks included " the murcielago looks so strong, as if it was carved out of one piece of solid rock,"

"The enzo looks pieced together, and it does not flow..."

"the murcie is more beautiful..."

I really try to stay byist as i love both cars and marque's ( i am a big Lambo guy) but the Murcielago is a more beautiful car and easier on the eyes...its just right!

- my 2 cents

-jt

12. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Funny ... this is what design people _always_ say. Architects, product designers, etc. It is always the laypersons fault for not "getting" the vision, or not being sophisticated enough to see the future, blah blah.

That being said, I love the 360 and the 355 - they are both stunning. I really can't pick a favorite there. The enzo is annoying to look at - more weird than anything else.

The murcielago is very very nice from the front - very bold lines - very aggressive. If it weren't for the shapeless blob of dead space that makes up the rear end of that car, I would say they had a worthy successor to the Diablo, which was in my opinion, the most stunning looking car ever made (the roadster that is ... I can take or leave the diablo coupe...)

So ... I would like to see ferrari make more moves like the move they made from 355->360, and less like the f50->enzo. I would like to see a murcielago with a rear that matches the exciting lines of the front.

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #38 Sfumato, May 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Leonardo Fioravanti (not hair-challenged ;))left Pininfarina in 1988. The Fioravanti Ferraris include Daytona, Dino, 308/328GTB, Berlinetta Boxer and Testarossa.

Leonardo Ramaciotti (hair challenged ;)) is GM of General Manager of Pininfarina Studi e Ricerche since 88.

Oyukama did the Enzo, Rossa, and 612.

The 348/355/456/550/575/360 are in my archives on the other network...I'll pull them when I get time.

Styling director for Ferrari-Maserati SpA is Frank Stephenson...new position in 2002, F-M never had stytling director before. Frank did the Mini Cooper. Had nothing to do with Bungle, thankfully.

Murcy drawn by Luc Donckerwolcke of Audi VW.

Also, Scaglietti was the bodybuilder, not designer...kind of like body-by- Fisher...

I think the 550 has a TON of 275GTB/4 and Lusso in it, with Daytona tossed in for fun. Vents are 60's, thin roof is Lusso. Plus it smiles...GTO's with the aux inlets open do too. Hmmmm.
    I'll shut up now.
    Lee
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, I think Scaglietti may have built the 250 GTO bodies as well as many more bodies but I still think Drogo designed the GTO.

I definately agree with that 2nd part RE the Maranello

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Oh boy. Now we want Ferraris that are easy to drive. Ferrari started to slip in 1989 with the introduction of power steering. ;)

16. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I think his return to Pininfarina is not a good thing for the Ferraris to come in the future. Okay, you will never know with what they will come up next, but if you look at the latest Ferrari designs you can only hope that they will not continue on the current trend. Although I personally like the 360 and 550 style a lot, I never liked the Enzo or 612. The Rossa on the other hand was way better in my opinion. In the end I only have one question: what happenend to the true and beautifull Ferraris of the past, like the 288 GTO, Testarossa and F40?? Those designs had PASSION, something that is missing some points in the current Ferraris.

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The new Ferrari famliy look. What are they trying to do?

18. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Who should be styling for ferrari?

An Italian designer

What ever happened to the Body lines that made ferraris Erotic exotic?

They went Japanese

is there anything wrong with the design direction at ferrari?
    Yes it looks Japanese

Does Lamborghini have a better design Direction?
    No. I saw a Gallardo in person for the first time last week and had to pull over and stare at my 348 to readjust my eyes

Do you consider the 360 and the maranello as symbollic as the dino and Daytona?
    The Maranello more so than the 360

Just my .02

Opinions? anyone![/QUOTE]

19. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

Who said redesigne dretro cars? You can look at past ferrari models and see the evolution of the styling elements from past models these new cars don't have that

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just for the record, the 456 (not M) looks more like a modern daytona then the 550/575...

21. KEFLON

KEFLON Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Faisal
    Funny how all the members who have crtisized ferrari's design's are not designers and how the members that are designers support ferrari's work.

Sorry but you guys don't know shiiit, here u are waaa waaaing about their designs when u forget that Ferrari are a Racing Team First and foremost!!!!!!!!
    and that there road cars are adaptions of there race cars explaining the enzo for e.g.

You people complain now but i bet if u saw the cars in real life you would fall in love!

Ferrari are going the right way in deisgn and are moving forward in there concepts, all this bull about japaneese influance sounds to me, more like race discrimination! Yes i said it!!!

By the way if Ferrari designs were soo crap then why are they selling more and more cars every year (beating there own numbers every year)

Too many of you people are stuck in the past or are u guys just past your sell by dates lol.

ffs think before you speak

And Yes I am a Automotive Design student

Thank You

22. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just looking at some trends :)

23. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

24. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004

Nice try! Go back to school and don't forget to take some courses in economics and courses that emphasize logic and reasoning.

25. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I also studied auto design & designed & built my own 512TR race car.

Ferrari needs to remember its roots. Ferraris legend was not made in F1 but in road racing in the 50s & 60s

A lot of Ferrari buyers know nothing of historyor how to drive & just want something flashy to impress the neighbors with. Thats really sad & if Ferrari keeps pandering to those idiots they will lose the true Tifosi