Best Driving Roads Around Philly, PA? | FerrariChat

Best Driving Roads Around Philly, PA?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ghost, May 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Hey Guys:

A few of us New Yorkers are driving down to Philly, PA area for a day this weekend. We wanted to ask if some of the locals might recommend a couple of good roads to have some fun with. We're looking for both twisties, as well as straightaways. Our plan is to meet around the King Of Prussia Mall, and so any suggestions based on where to head from there would be much appreciated.

I am just not familiar with the area. Thanks for helping us out!

Regards.

2. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    Take roads north along the river towards New Hope or head out to the Newton area. New Hope is about 40 mins north of philly but the area has some of the best driving roads around. If you keep going up the river north of New Hope about 15mins, cross into NJ at the Lambertville bridge. Hunterdon County NJ has some of the best roads on the east coast.

3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Pocono or lehigh valley area is a good place to drive. King or Prussia is very congested, and the law is frequent.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would suggest Chester County, I took my car out there last weekend, had no idea where I was going but the roads were great almost no traffic great roads and not a single policer officer in site. One of the guys from my local dealer lives ou there he suggested I give it a try, it was great. New Hope area way to much traffic for me.

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Agree with carnut, chester county or upper delaware county, heck you can maybe come and see me.

6. E-SPRIX87

E-SPRIX87 Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Unionville, PA
    I live in chester county and can attest to the amount of great roads. Warning if you head south avoid Route 1!!! it is pothole central. However if you pick up route 1 south after 472 it is nice and paved, and early in the morning a pretty nice place to "clean out the carbon" In the middle of the county near like Unionville there is some nice horse country and there are some real fun curvy roads around Doe Run on 842. The township I live in has no local police, but be very careful on the roads, as there are bicyclists who ride right in the middle of some lanes out here on bends. I ended up with a smashed up Esprit 2 miles from my house because a bike was in the middle of the road on a blind bend. You also sometimes have people on horses on some of the back roads and there are sometimes farm equipment, so use common sense with fun driving and you should be set. If you end up at King of Prussia and end up going to chester county, be warned that the route 30 bypass heading west does have some construction, with some big bumps, but nothing too serious. Another nice spot is real south chester county near the Maryland line, you loop down, and come back up through Lancaster county, but that ends up being quite a hike, but a fun one.

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Terrific posts guys -- many thanks. Hopefully this thread will serve as good reference for others around the area.

Please keep the ideas / route suggestions coming.

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Love that avatar picture. I remember when the car was listed on eBay. There were about 12,000 hits because of her. Damn, she's hot!

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

From the mall, go 202 South, towards Chester County. Take the Route 29 exit, or the route 401 exit, either is great. Route 401 is my favorite. It runs for quite some time through the sort of farmland of chester county.

When you exit off of 202, turn right onto 401. And just go!!

When it crosses route 100, turn right again, if you feel like it, as that is also a fine road to drive on.

Just loop your way west, that's all Chester County out there, and very nice driving.

Enjoy!!!

10. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    yea, i love this picture, the site hottiesonhoods.com is great. i can kill two birds with one stone. lol. have fun driving around the area, when i moved here from ny i was so mad becasue there were like no highways to go fast on but then i realized if u drive 5 minutes you are in back contry and the road is yours. have fun.