TR Clutch Q | FerrariChat

TR Clutch Q

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TR Mark, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TR Mark

TR Mark Rookie

May 8, 2004
    Orange Beach, Al
    Full Name:
    Mark G.
    Just bought 88.5 T/R and have about 1" clutch travel before clutch comes into play from floor. It seems like almost enough but not quite. No record of clutch replacement but I was "told" it was changed 6k ago. Who knows but not had a T/R in past and anxious to make sure all is well. Have burned clutches in other F cars and no experience with this. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Only two things to do:

1) Make sure the hydraulic system is full, and bled properly

2) Start saving for a new clutch

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If the clutch bites too close to the floor, it's likely that the clutch itself is ok, but maybe some air in the hydraulics.

When the clutch is worn, the bite will be higher and it may slip under load.

4. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I have a 1988.5 TR and I had the same symptom. I had the clutch checked and the slave cylinder rebuilt and it still engages much lower than my other cars (Porsche, Viper, etc.) I think that this may be quite normal. I am curious to hear what other TR owners have to say? PD

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Make double sure the pedal is not fouling on any carpets etc. There is a stop on the shaft, and it should be used.

If the very upper part of the pedal stroke is lazy/spongy it may have some air in it.

6. TR Mark

TR Mark Rookie

May 8, 2004
    Orange Beach, Al
    Full Name:
    Mark G.
    Many thanks to all replies , looking fwd to more replies too. Carpet is ok and I will have system bled. Again thanks

7. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    The clutch begins to engage relatively early on my 86 TR. Probably 1 inch from the floor.