Q:Lotus? Ferrari? A:Ferrari! | FerrariChat

Q:Lotus? Ferrari? A:Ferrari!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Just wanted to drop y'all a note and say thanks for your help and input. You may recall that a while ago I posted a topic introducing myself as one who was looking at getting either a Lotus or a Ferrari. Well I got a Ferrari, a nice 328. Having had to buy it long distance and only taking delivery of it yesterday I found my first "fitting" interesting.

May I indulge and pose just one question: Is my head supposed to be on my right shoulder? Because that's where the steering wheel is pointing.

Thanks!
    Wes

2. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, because you're Canadian, and you naturally lean to the left. Eh?

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    As was said to me when I first joined in, miles of smiles!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I guess you will get used to it ;)

Many cars do not have a dead straight steering wheel. Infact my club race car didn't as the steering column had to clear carburettors, etc. and I never noticed it ...

If you sit correctly so that your arms are slightly bent then your body will accommodate. Many make the mistake of going for the 100% straight arm position that looks so cool, but when your car is pulling big G's through a corner and your arm is at the top of the steering wheel you will find you do not have much strenght left because your arms are dead straight.

The straight arm technic came from the 60's (and also from Farina ... earlier) when they first laid the drivers back in the little rear engined F1 cars, but you will see that F1 drivers (and other professionals) now actually sit a little closer and have their arms with that little necessary bend in them.

In the end too straight might look cool (and yep I see many ricers laying back with their arms dead straight, that would not even be able to reach the top of the steering wheel ... idiots IMO, and would have to shuffle the steering wheel to make turns.) but looking stylish should never IMO come before performance ...

BTW shuffling the steering wheel is also a very BAD practise when performance driving. Any time you have to rebite the steering wheel you are endanger of loosing where you were and is the cause of many over corrections and thus spins. Plus when you are re-positioning your hands you are missing out on important feed back that the front tyres are trying to tell you. No racing driver worth a grain of salt does this, they simply speed the steering rack up if they have too to suit the track ...

Now parking, etc. is different :D

Pete

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

That's great, enjoy your car! :)

I'd like to hear more about which Lotus you drove and why you picked the 328 over the Esprit (how many ferrari's did you drive, was this your first one?)

6. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I agree, the extended arm seating position is "old school" for exactly the reasons you stated. I'm not doing that, but it just seems humorous to me that a car company who knows more about driving position than any other company wouldn't center the steering wheel. Gives it that 'Yugo' feel. So I guess I'll conclude this is normal and can't be corrected?

Since I was buying a car long distance I was unable to test drive either the Lotus or the Ferraris.

Thanks!
    Wes

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Congrats...but this thread is worthless w/o pics!!! ;)

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Your steering wheel is adjustable, but requires you to get under the dash with a wrench to do it. The standard Ferrari position puts the wheel a little 'high', but I hadn't noticed mine pointing at my right shoulder. Now I'm going to have to check it out.

My '91 Yukon XL has the off center problem, the steering wheel is about 8 inches off. It always makes my left shoulder hurt when I drive it long distance.

9. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    "Your steering wheel is adjustable, but requires you to get under the dash with a wrench to do it."

No THAT'S worth checking out!!!

Thanks!
    Wes