Stebro removable tailpipe resonators | FerrariChat

Stebro removable tailpipe resonators

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Happy Thanksgiving all.

Have heard that the Stebro rear mufflers have removable resonators that fit in the tailpipes to provide a quiet(er) street sound and removable for the track.

Does anyone have experience or advice with these and do they perform well at noise suppression? Any photos or reference would be great.

many thanks
    Russ

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Russ

I have a factory test pipe on my 328, it is a straight pipe with no baffles.

Its really only slightly louder than with the cat, it has a deeper sound at the low end. I like the slightly louder sound with the straight pipe, I think the resonator idea is uneccessary.

You can baffle the pipe with steel wool if needed, I got the pipe which was made by Ansa on Ebay for about $160.00, you could have one made at a muffler shop for a little less and probably the same or better
    quality, the factory one is okay with rough welds and sells for $600.00 at Ferrari UK. Just be sure and have them make the o2 and thermocouple bungs

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Within the last month I have installed a new Stebro system on the 308.

Yes, there are four (4) small 'silencers', one into the end of each chrome exhaust tip. These are held in place via an evternal Philips Head screw which is on the underside of the tip. As an experiment I did remove them, but have never driven the car (yet) with them removed and won't be until Spring.

Overall, the Stebro system is well enough made, but it is LOUD. Much louder than stock, to the point where a 30 minute drive renders my ears to ring ... and this is with the "silencers" all in place! I can hardly imagine the racket with them out. The stereo in the car is now completely useless.

It's hard for me to lay all of the blame on Stebro, though, as the installation was in conjunction with the gutting of the cat convertors. These cats were some of the most restrictive ones that I have ever seen, and eliminating them has certainly contributed to the noise level. I thought long and hard about the merits of gutting the cats vs. some sort of a test-tube deal, and ultimately decided that, for me, the gutting was the best approach. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I have yet to decide if I will be keeping the Stebro in the car, or reverting to stock come Spring when the car is reassembled.

In the meantime, I would be happy to snap some digital pictures for the curious, but this will have to wait until Monday as we are doing the 'over the river and through the woods' deal this long weekend. If there is interest, reactivate this thread on Monday the 1st and I'll post a picture then.

Happy Thanksgiving to all - DM

4. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I have tubi's on my 575 and added Stebro straight pipes.The addition of the pipes deepened the pitch of the sound but is in no way intrusive nor does it interfere with stereo acoustics.(Just deeper and sl louder.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I have a stebro on my GT4.

I had it installed prior to taking possession of the car, so I can't speak to how loud it is vs. the stock exhaust. But, it is loud, even with the resonators in.

My car does not have cats, since it is a 1975 model.

Dom