Zaino | FerrariChat

Zaino

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ric355, May 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    #1 ric355, May 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in mid February I was trying to get hold of some Zaino. I'd heard a lot about it and wanted to find out for myself if it is as good as people in the States say.

If you haven't heard of Zaino, have a look at www.zainostore.com. Unfortunately this product isn't available in the UK, which is why I was having a bit of trouble finding it. There is a German distributor who will deliver to the UK but the prices are very high, and Zaino can't be shipped directly from the States due to flammability rules.

To cut a long story short, I finally got hold of my Zaino, delivered via Canada, on Friday. I placed my order on February 15th! I've now had chance to apply some to the car.

I ordered the following:

ZFX
    Z2
    Z5
    Z6
    Z7

Zaino can be layered. The more layers you put on, the deeper the shine (or so they say). I won't go into details of how to apply everything as that info is on the Zaino web site. I did a 'quick' application of one Z5 and one Z2, and I'm going to do another Z2 some time later. Z5 is for swirl marks and z2 is the 'top coat'.

Zaino is not abrasive so isn't classified as a polish in that sense. This means that if there are any water marks or whatever on the paint, they have to be removed with a clay bar first as the Zaino won't remove it. I didn't bother with this because may paint was ok - I clayed it before I first waxed it a while ago.

The steps I went through were:

1. Wash car with Fairy liquid - this strips off any waxes that have been applied in the past.
    2. Z5 with ZFX onto whole car, buff off.
    3. Z6 spray on buff off
    4. Z2 with ZFX onto whole car, buff off.
    5. Z6 spray on buff off
    6. Final buff of whole car using new dry cloth.

Before Zaino I was using One Grand Blitz Wax from www.frost.co.uk with One Grand Glaze applied first. On the whole I'd say the finish is at least as good as that but it is difficult to tell if it is better. I remember being really impressed with the result of the one grand product when I first used it, and this is just as impressive.

Application is very easy - just rub it on and let it dry to a haze. However, buffing off again is quite hard work. The blurb on the site says it bonds with the paint surface. I imagine that is why the residue is difficult to remove. When you buff off, you think you've got it all, but then catch it in the light and you'll see there is still some residue to remove. The Z6 in between coats helps with this (Z6 is a 'quick detailer' spray).

Some polishes leave a powdery residue that you have to chase around the car. My One Grand product leaves a little. Zaino leaves none.

I'm pretty pleased with the end result, but my back aches. I hate doing those bleedin' air scoops in the doors as well.

I've attached a few pics of the end result, but I suppose it is difficult to tell from the pictures really. I've tried to pick up reflections where possible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    That looks perfect!

Let me know if it's ever for sale ;)

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    heh noony how much pocket money do you get????? let me know if its for sale???????????????

4. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    Richard

Car looks great! Well done.

Hope to see it next Sat'?

Bernard

5. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    A 355 is one of my dads options ;)

6. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes, I'll be there on Sat.

I might have had time to put another Z2 on it by then....

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If anybodys interested there's a Porsche Chap on Rennlist who's importing Zainos into the UK

8. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    If you think air scoops are hard work Richard, try the strakes on the TR!

9. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve,

Perhaps Richard would like to come and test his Zen-Ferrariwaxing techniques on your strakes, and have a few "wax on, wax off" moments. I feel sure the catharsis will be beneficial to his considerable skills both behind the camera and above the paintwork!