Best Walkie Talkies for Ferrari Runs? | FerrariChat

Best Walkie Talkies for Ferrari Runs?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, May 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Runs are always a lot more fun when you've got Walkie Talkies, not only because you can use them to chit chat and poke fun at each other, but also to ensure caravans are kept intact, etc., etc.

To this end, wanted to get some input from FerrariChat members on what Walkie Talkie's people use, how they like them, and what the recommendation would be if you were to buy now. Comments on battery life, sound clarity, and usable distance would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like Motorola has strong market share in this segment. If your recommendation is Motorola, which model would you suggest?

Thx.

2. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Vik, let me know what you find out. I think the Motorola Talk About walkie talkies that we used yesterday were pretty good.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have various talkabouts that are used in spirited drives in the hill country. They 'work', but they are much better if you get the headset, which is another 20 spot. Anything with stronger power/greater range would require an FCC license. It isn't that difficult to obtain, but not everyone will want to get one to communicate with you in a spirited drive.

4. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I use a Motorola Talkabout 250 on all my drives. It has the 38 additional interferance codes to keep unwanted voices off your group. I have the headset as well, but there's a slight delay once you start talking. Also, if you start talking to yourself, others can hear, not that it's happened to me, but if can be a funny experience.

Battery Life - 30 hours
    experience: I dove in a caravan from Sacramento through San Jose and then down to Los Angeles. By the time we reached LA, battery life was still strong.

Sound Clarity - clearest of them all

Useable Distance - 2 miles unobstructed line of sight, but if you have a long caravan or some rolling hills, you will have trouble. In that situation, use somebody in the middle to reach the guy way in the back. In other words, make a driver an 'extender' when your max range is reached. Like Schatten said, you may want to look into a 4 watt FCC licensed radio if you want at least 10 miles.

5. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Hard to go wrong with Motorola for any kind of 2-way communications. When it comes to FRS, it's actually more expensive to make a bad radio than a good one, so look for extra features and read reviews on battery life rather than worry about the manufacturer. You'll be hard pressed to get more than 2 miles out of most of them, so don't worry about range.

Sound clarity varies mainly by speaker design, as reciever circuits in these little guys are usually quite similar. "Quiet codes" or "privacy codes" (really just coded squelch) are a matter of personal preference, but you probably only need 10 or so total. Make sure the radio has all 14 available channels.

I use a unit made by "GPX". It has a built in FM radio and NOAA weather alert, plus a mostly useless compass and a call feature. Hope that helps!

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Get a pair with the "privacy codes" -- MANY Ferrari group events use Channel 3 with subchannel 8 ("308").

Our local FCA chapter uses Motorola Talkabouts of various models, plus a couple of Kenwoods, all with the subchannels. We have about 10 units so we can loan them out to folks who might need them when we do group activities.

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I would like the PTT (push to talk button on steering wheel)headsets used on f-1 circuts etc. ANyone wanna hook up a group purchase? If its good enough for pit crews and race car drivers, we could use it too :) dont think you'll find better then that

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    It seems that the latest Motorola Talkabout's are the rage. But which one would you choose. There seem to be so many different models, from the 200/250 series to the T5xxx series.

What do you guys think of this one?

Link.

9. 308guy

308guy Rookie

May 9, 2004
    I use a Motorola T5820 with headset. The VOX function doesn't work well even on the less sensitive setting because the Ferrari is too loud. But I use the button on the main unit and it activates the microphone in the headset. Great combo, since I can hear other drivers in the group and don't have to reach down to press the button unless I want to talk.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    We have been using various Family Service Radios (FRS) for the past three years with the local FCA chapter. The two most popular radios are the Motorolas and Kenwoods. Take whatever the "claimed" range is, and cut it in half...that is what they will really do under ideal conditions. Most will work around 1 mile at best, car to car. Seriously consider going to GMRS radios....Most brands of FRS radios now include the GMRS (general mobile service radio) frequencies as well, and the GMRS are "claimed" to reach as far as 5 to 7 miles. Half that, and we are still talking 2.5 to 3.5 miles which would be awesome. The reason is FRS radios are limited to .5 watt output....GMRS radios can have outputs of up to 5 watts!!! This makes a huge difference...but all the parties in your group must have compatible radios to use the GMRS frequencies. Also understand there is now "free lunch"...that higher output is going to eat batteries too, so carry plenty of extras. If you get radios with rechargers...make sure you have a cig lighter charger or that it will still take standard AA's, so if the thing goes dead on a trip, you can still use the radio...

Costco currently has a greal deal on a pair of rechargeable Motorolas.., GMRS and FRS frequencies...includes charging stand (110 volt only, no cig lighter), batteries, headsets (great for convertibles with Tubis!), AND will accept AA batteries if the rechargeable pack goes dead. I have not yet bought or tried them, but looks like a great deal for around $60 or so. They claim 3 mile range with the GMRS on these radios.....or maybe more...can't remember right now...

BTW, the "license" to use a GMRS radio is a joke...you just mail in a form and a check for $75...good for 5 years....no test...no hassles. I would not recommend breaking the law...but I doubt anyone is checking licenses on these things...esp. when Costco is selling thousands of them...I can't imagine everyone is really ponying up the $75... :)

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Once you decide what model you want, eBay is also a good source.

12. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Vik,

let me know which ones you will buy. ill get the same pair myself.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I used a 5720 on yesterday's run. It's ok. It also depends on what other units are being used. A group purchase might be a very good thing for compatibility.
    I couldn't get the hand's free headset(VOX) to function. Just some wild hissing after about 60secs. I guess some setting I missed.

I did have it strapped on my visor next to the Valentine. Boy, it didn't like that at all!

14. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MOTOROLA WALK ABOUTS IS THE WAY TO GO.....I USE THEM IN MY BUSINESS / WAREHOUSE NO PROBLEM AND I DONT EVEN HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BATTERIES :)

BRUCE

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    You're right, and that's the way I intend to move. The issue is figuring out the "right" model. ;)

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Will do.

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Wait, are "WALK ABOUTS" different than "TalkAbouts"? :confused:

If not, which TalkAbout model are you using?

18. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    SORRY I MEANT TALK ABOUTS MODEL 57 SOMETHING...

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Very helpful post David. Couple of follow-up questions:

1. With FRS, even if we have different models, it's pretty easy to get everybody sync'ed up by tuning to the same channel/sub-channel. How are compatability issues different/harder with GMRS radios?

2. Related to the above, you note that "Most brands of FRS radios now include the GMRS (general mobile service radio) frequencies as well." Does that mean there is inter-compatibility between the two types of radio sets?

3. What's the difference between the 200/250 series vs. the 5280 series Motorola's, and which would you recommend? Assume the 5280's are the latest, but truth be told, we used a couple of 250's on our run yesterday, and they were pretty good. Worth the upgrade to the 5280's?

4. Is this the CostCo radios you were talking about. They look pretty good, and are priced at about $40 bucks, excluding S&H. Not bad, I would say.

Thanks in advance.

20. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    David (or Anyone):

Don't leave a brother hangin'.

21. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Hehehe.. I did! But I'll admit it's just because I wanted a call sign :)

Dave is right - the GMRS ones have way better range, and backward compatible with the FRS, and have their own channels that are not accessible by the FRS models if you encounter cluttered airwaves (cruise ship, Disneyland, etc.)

Got mine at Costco!

22. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Why not?

Here in MS having one entitles you to $16 license plates. Tag fees are outrageous, so it more than pays for itself.

I was told that the FCC license was $200 for 5 years. Good to hear that it is only $75.

Motorola seems to be the brand to get. I am thinking about the 7400. (~$60 each)

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry, I'll try and answer your questions...but truth be told, I have yet to buy one yet, as I am still studying up on the various models and performance...

1) Should be the same as FRS.

2) They are compatible when using the same frequencies (which is the FRS frequencies) so GMRS radios work also on FRS, but FRS will NOT work on GMRS.

3) Not familiar with the various models..sorry. I am seriously looking at the Motorola T7200..this is a bit bigger, but looks to have all the performance one could hope for...and only $80 a pair on Ebay!!!! :)

4) Yes, that is them. I have no personal experience on the range and how much better these are to similarly priced FRS radios...That is why I am thinking to spend a bit more, and get a full featured, slightly higher output T7200 (though it may be rated at only 2 watts like many others, better circuitry and larger batteries ensure it is truly making the claimed specs)

A couple further notes:

These radios typically will transmit shorter distances using AA alkaline batteries versus the rechargeable nickle metal hydride packs. The rechargeables have more power for transmitting...though shorter life than alkalines.

It appears (Help me here SteveJ) that the GMRS radios will operate at the higher output on not only the GMRS frequencies, but also on FRS channels 1-7....is this correct?

This is the big difference...FRS is limited to .5 watt. GMRS is typically 2 watts, and as much as 5 watts!

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Voice operated transmit (VOX) is worthless....get a headset (very useful), but use the "push to talk" (PTT) feature, it is way more practical. New members on our drives, invariably try the VOX feature and either are in constant transmit (because of the road and engine noise) or we all hear some private conversation. :)

25. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I have a couple of the Motorola T5820 units. Channels 1-7 are combo FRS/GMRS channels, transmitting at 1 watt. There is a chance that a GMRS user on these channels could be heard, but isn't within range of a FRS unit on the same channel (since the FRS is only transmitting at .5 watt).

On the 5820, channels 8-14 are FRS only, transmitting at .5 watt. Finally, channels 15-22 are GMRS only, transmitting at 1 watt.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the 5820.

Brad