I have finally decided to buy a Digital Camera. Suggestions? | FerrariChat

I have finally decided to buy a Digital Camera. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by TimN88, May 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Last year i started a thread asking questions about digital cameras. I think the model i want is the Canon powershot S50. There are good reviews for it on www.dpreview.com (a great digital photograpy site). Does anyone have one of these or know anything about it? I am looking at a compact model, however the S50 is not small for a compact camera, and it is a bit on the expensive side ($450 from staples). The reason i want a small one is because i will be toting it all around europe and the czech republic for three months this fall. Are there any other models i should be looking at?
    My other question is about flash cards. People are advertising 256+ mb cards. Are these really necessary or would the included 32mb one be fine?
    Thanks in advance

2. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
  3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Tim,

I am in the same boat as you. I have been waiting about 1.5 years to get one. I settled on the Sony T1 for its super sleek style, but the reviews weren't superb. Thus I decided on Canon Elph S500, you should look into that. Great camera. :)

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im very happy with my camera. It is on the cheaper side, takes great pictures and pretty good quality videos, and is relatively small...You can fit it into your pocket if you dont mind a bit of a bulge :)

I use the Sony 3.2 Megapixel Cybershot.

5. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    canon s50, it's not too expensive (i got it for $400 and i'm sure you can get a better deal on ebay) and it's worth the money. Not too big either, i have no trouble carrying it with me.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Do yourself a favor and shop around before buying one. I saved almost a hundred bucks! I bought a FujiFilm 3800 about two years ago, getting a bit outdated now, and rather on the large side, but takes good pics and is easy to use. Check out some of the comparison sites like Bizrate.com. Good luck with your search!

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    My experience with digital cameras (keep in mind, I'm just a casual user, not a pro).

Get as much warranty as you can, no matter the cost.

Memory : with a 2.1 MP, and a 256Mb card, we can store 400 pictures. During a 2 week holiday, I snapped 250 pics (just to give you an idea). If you don't have access to a computer on a regular basis, it's a must. 32Mb is fine if you can have a puter easily available.

Batteries : this is just a matter of opinion, but I find the AA battery-powered cameras more convenient. A set of rechargeable batteries will last for a while, and when you have no juice, any store will have standard batteries.

Definition : I feel 2.1 is adequate (gets you 1600x1200 pictures). Don't get fooled by more MP is better, though. No matter what camera you buy, ask to take and compare pics by yourself. I had a Canon S10, then an A40, and a friend has a Kodak, 3.2MP or something. The Kodak pics are fuzzy at full resolution, very bad definition. Colors are quite bland. In contrast, my A40 is only 1600x1200, but is more precise, although it requires lots of light to reproduce the colors with some "wow". The S10 is the oldest, and was twice as much (900cdn$ vs 400-450), and it showed. The pictures had a great definition, and awesome colors right out of the box. All cameras I've tested are horrible for low light shots. BTW, bland colors or light are easily fixed through Photoshop.

The film feature is a nice one. It puts out decent quality footage.

Zoom. Optical is the only way to go. Don't get fooled by digital zoom or whateva, it's crap. They just enlarge your picture, and you end up seeing pixels. Stupid. 2x optical zoom isn't enough. 3x is barely fine.

Most of these cameras are very fragile. I'm a motocross/atv/snowmobile/4x4 rider/driver, and my camera is only taken out of the pouch for the picture. But I ruined the S10 within a year, and the A40 has already been in for repairs twice in 6 months or so. They are very touchy, and can cost big $$$ to repair. Don't expect it to last 10 years like our parent's cameras.

Did I mention you should get all the warranty you can?

8. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I'm seriously looking at getting a Canon 10-D so I can use my SLR lenses. I miss using filters and other photo accessories.

9. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    I am now on my 5th digital [gotta love those mega pixels!]. I woudl highly recommend the Canon Power Shot s500. It is compact but with up to 5 MP, the images are stunning.

Good battery life and with memory cards as cheap as $40 for 256 [at Costco] you can take several spare cards with you.

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for all the advice. I am going to broaden my search to include the S500, along with the S50. Both are about the same price (i have seen $400-450 online) but with the S500 you give up some features (which i would probably never use anyway) in return for a smaller size, which is something that im interested in. One thing that both of these have is optical zoom. Digital zoom isnt so great from what i hear, but im not a professional photographer.

11. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Tim,

The issue with a digital zoom was always that the camera software would extropolate the zoomed image from the original, cbase on the manufacturer's code. This was particularly problematic with earlier cameras [1 - 3 MP]. However, with the 5 MP you have such a high density resolution to start with that you do not give up a great deal amount of image quality when you use the digital zoom.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've been so happy with my T-1 for $450. It's funny, but every event I've been to with it we're surrounded by great cars and everyone is in awe of the camera. 5 megapixel and smaller than a card deck.

Takes great pics...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220892&postcount=35

Only problem at all is you have to be very still or it comes out blurry as a couple of the last photos. It has an auto mode that adjusts to the conditions, you go half way down and the green light blinks and goes solid when ready.