Car & Driver: Maserati/BMW/E55AMG | FerrariChat

Car & Driver: Maserati/BMW/E55AMG

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by GregD, May 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Has anyone read the Car & Driver review of the BMW 645ci, Maserati coupe and Mercedes E55AMG?

I hope it's a typo, but did you see the 30-50 and 50-70mph times for the Maserati. 5.4 & 6.7 seconds!! Thats got to be a mis-print. Their own test shows the Maserati does 0-60 in 4.8 secs. and 0-100 in 11.5.. However, Maserati claims 5.0, 0-60 and 13.1, 0-100 in their brochures.

I haven't test driven the Maserati yet, but from checking it out and sitting in it when they first came out, I liked them. The car has a beautiful and unique interior, comfortable too. I felt as though the car was meant for me, then again, I feel that way when I sit in a 355 too, but it's true!!
    I also didnt notice the long arm feel C&D mentioned.

I'm reading everything these days about the maserati as Im coming to the end of a lease on my jaguar in about 4 months. The maserati looks like a nice replacement as a daily driver.

The test drive will make the final determination.

2. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Gregg,
    What kind of Jag? Why havent you taken a drive in a Maserati yet?

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    It appears that C&D's Maserati times for 30-50 and 50-70 are in 6th gear

The other cars are in much lower gears. They probably used 'kickdown' for the automatic cars.

The equivalent test in the Maser would be to put the Cambicorsa gearbox in 'Auto' - then the car automatically downshifts to the optimum gear resulting in a much faster 50-70 time of just over 2 seconds.

The Maserati has tremendous engine response and a very broad powerband and it shows...Autocar magazine shows the following times for 50-70mph in top gear:

Maserati Coupe: 6.1 seconds
    Ferrari 550 Maranello: 5.9 seconds
    Ferrari 360 Modena: 6.9 seconds
    Lambo Gallardo: 8.1 sec

- Jon

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think it's a misprint - the numbers you posted were for the coupe cambiocorsa and the tests were performed in 5th gear. At those speeds, 5th gear is not good for passing (too high). The motor is pretty torquey across the RPM range, but you still need to be in the appropriate gear for the best acceleration. The beauty of the F1 shifter is that you can be cruising along in 6th gear, then at a moment's notice, double tap the left paddle to get into 4th gear and pass.

BTW - The cars you listed were compared in 2 different issues fo C&D. The May issued featured the Maser coupe, 645ci and the CLK55. The June issue compared the E55, QP and the Jag.

Let us know how your test drive goes!

5. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    You're right. If you compare the 30-50mph and 50-70mph times from the two different comparos (coupes and sedan), you will notice that the QP test much quicker, even though it is heavier than the coupe and has the same engine (w/ tweaked breathing). That is because they tested the coupe in 5th gear (manual mode) and the QP in auto mode - the QP did the kickdown like other automatics...

6. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks guys, I completely missed the part about the 5th gear. It's stated right there next to the numbers. I wonder why they did that as it could be misleading and anyways, your left without a true comparison.

Pimpdaddy:

I have the 3.0 X Type/2nd one as JNA gave me a new one about 1 year ago for the balance of the lease. (its a long story).Overall, the car is great for what I was using it for/business, but its underpowered and the trans needs refinement.

I havent driven the Maserati yet because Im a workaholic. no but really, I do plan on testing it within the next week or so and will post my thoughts. Its a heck of a bump price wise over the jag, but I hung at the 35-40k price range for my past 3 leases while getting established, so its time to move on/up and have fun.

p.s. the first jag had a limter at about 140mph, the 2nd one is limited at 125.