Lithium Grease on splines | FerrariChat

Lithium Grease on splines

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by msdesignltd, May 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just got my wheels back from putting on new tires and Respray Wheels. it is an 84 512 Boxer , single splined Knock off wheels, Just how much grease goes on the spline shaft and the threads of the spinner. Is Lithium grease a suitable article for application.By being disassembled for 2 weeks it appears dry.
    Thanks , Michael

2. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I would use anti-seize.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I used a cooper anti-sieze. Use sparingly.......if you put too much on, it will spray out the back of the wheel, onto the inside of the wheel.

4. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    If it were me, I'd leave them dry. Any substance you put in there changes the actual torque on the wheel versus what the wrench says.

I speak from a BAD experience. I actually lost a wheel on my TR at one point. Luckily I saw it happening, so it was a very low speed accident when the wheel came off, but the repairs exceeded $27,000.

Needless to say, I did a LOT of research while the car was being fixed and everyone recommended mounting them dry and just dismounting them once in a while to prevent corrosion mating.

Grease wasn't a factor in my losing a wheel, but the pros advice was to leave them dry.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Leaving them dry may produce "spalling", or "pick up", where the chamfers meet on the nut. The friction of the dry chamfer may also cause the nut to "feel" tight when in fact it is not.....and we all know you'll never get around to loosening it to prevent it sticking!

I use Wurth CU800 copper anti seize. It's good for very high temperatures, doesn't dry out and is not crazy expensive.

Just use enough to cover all the splines and both chamfers on the nut. Brush it into the splines but remove all excess.....put the wheel on and off a couple of times to squeeze out the excess, then wipe it away and fit permanently.

Fit the wheels as tight as you can with the hammer, or to the prescribed torque, drive the car for 15 minutes and tighten all the wheels again.

Relax and enjoy.......

6. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    I agree with phil, the wurth anti-seize is a very good choice.

Just make sure to use a very,very, very small amount, Just enough to LIGHTLY coat the splines and chamfer. keep the nut and threads clean.

and most important as phil has said, recheck after the first run.

Best regards, Jim

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry I Find it hard to believe that a wheel would fall off due to a product used or not used on the drive pins. Due to the nature of reverse threads on the spinners the actual nut is always spinning towards the tightening direction so fwd movement secures the nut at all times. unles carelessly someone left the nut( spinner) hanging on threads by 1 or 2 rotations, then maybe by hard braking or reverse movement a nut could spin off and then on a turn a wheel could work its way off. Just odd to hear of loosing a knock off that way.