Ghibli | FerrariChat

Ghibli

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Texas Forever, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm posting this here, even though this query is about a Maserati, because I'm afraid that it would get lost in the more modern other Italian.

But what's the story on the Maserati Ghibili? Here's one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2478003132&category=6313&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

I know, I know, I need to go to a doctor or somebody about this sickness I have, but this is a cool looking car. This was the Maser answer to the Daytona, yes/no/maybe? Aren't these typically $50k cars?

So how bad were they? Any worse than a E-type jag?

Dr "Looking for a 12-step program" Tax

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dale
    IMHO a real spyder is a very nice car and a relative bargin. You have to drive one first. You sit low kind of hemmed in.
    Best

4. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Real spiders have been going up in price lately. Most have been selling for over 80 with several bringing in the 110K range in Europe. If it's a good conversion who cares though. The Ghibli is one of the prettiest cars ever built.

It really also depends on how tall / big you are. I have an Indy because the Ghibli coupe was a little "tight" on me.

Rodney

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I think the Ghibli is a fantastic car. For the money.... they are just tremendous. I have seen extremely clean, 4.9 SS coupes for under $50K. That strikes me as a TON of car for the money! They are great looking and the Maser 4 cam V8 is a really cool engine.

Of coarse I like it best for the same reason you do.... it looks sorta like a Daytona. I know this is whats hooking you..... just one more symptom of the bigger disease.

The Ghibli, while being a really cool car for the money, is no Daytona. V8 vs V12. Ghibli has less power and torque. The Ghibli interior is nowhere near as nice. The Ghibli also does not have the neutral weight distribution of the Daytona with its rear transaxle and the Maser has a live rear axle so its not going to ride or handle as well.

You really need to seek some professional help. There is only one cure for your addiction......

BTW: that car on ebay looks GREAT! I may bid on that myself. At anything under $50K, that has to be a pretty dang good buy!

Terry

6. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Here is a link to a Maserati fan with a real spyder for sale.

http://www.thecarnut.com/

Daytona Coupe or Ghibli spyder? They are in the same price range. Tough choice.

Ghibli coupe or 330 GT 2+2. Again same price range and two very different cars . Still a tough choice.

The second one is the choice that keeps rolling through my head.

Erich
    all ready have a two seat spyder, what do I need another two seater for?

7. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Incidently I would have to disagree on the low end torque between the Ghibli and Daytona. I have a 4.7 High compression in my Indy 190-195 compression. Off the line it will blow my 365 away no question. Now that being said the Ferrari is much better when you get to speeds above 80 or so.

I will also have to disagree on Interior. Maseratis have a "fluffy" interior. Ferraris have more of a sports interior. GT class Maseratis had many more cows than same age Ferrraris.

Rodney

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I'm 6'2" and 240. So will a Ghibli be too tight? BTW, what does Ghibli mean and how do you pronounce it?

Thx

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I believe like many names Maser used at that time it's the name of a wind that blows across africa. Others?
    Dale you must sit in and drive one, to know

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    It is a tropical wind, and yes, you will fit. They are wonderful cars, although I prefer the lines of the coupe. You will find the ride is a bit crude, but the torque is amazing. Maserati had 4.2, 4.7, and 4.9 litre engines in the V8 configuration, with the Ghibli getting the latter two, 5 speed, with a few auto boxes. The good news is that the Ghibli does not have any of the horrible French hydraulics. The bad news is that the parts for these beasties are even more expensive than for the quivalent vintage Ferraris. The fan club is smaller and there is basically one major supplier. They are not as highly stressed as the Ferraris, so engines / frames, and trannies should be pretty sturdy. I think that they are fairly undervalued. A perfect coupe can be had in the mid 40s and a real Spider is a 90-110K car. A fakey-dooh Spider is a guess, as I have seen them from 40-80K. It might be worth what DrTax is willing to pay...
    :)
    Get one. Variety is the Spice of life. In this case, I think it would be...Posh Spice...

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dale, I like the Ghibli too. If you go to MIE website and look at classifieds there are normaly a few there. I think it is beautifull and powerfull enough. I looked at them for the same reason you are but ultimately decided to bite the bullet. I am not sorry, but I still like the Ghibli. Get the coupe the spider is too"flat".Perhaps a Ghibli Spider and a Daytona coupe is the right answer?
    The car I was going to photo for you is gone, was not that nice anyway.

12. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Actually there is only one "real" supplier of parts for GT class Maseratis but it's probably not the one you are talking about. You can get anything you need from Campana in Modena http://www.campanacarrozzeria.it/. It takes about 4 or 5 days to get to the states. The parts prices are generally less than Ferrari prices.

Also most parts can be interchanged for either FIAT, Jaguar or Mercedes. For instance the heater valve is a FIAT 850 heater valve. The Maserati price was $48 as I remember, the FIAT price was $24 or there abouts.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, no fair! This car had been bid up to $37k this morning when I made this post. Now the darn thing is almost $65k! I just wanted your opinion. Geeze Louise. Can't trust nobody no mo.

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The Ghibli has been referred to as "the most beautiful sports car ever built", I cannot remember where I read that, I think it is a fabulous car, but I disagree with that statement.
    We all know a Boano Ferrari is the most beautiful sports car ever built. With the exception of the Vignale bodied cars, and maybe the Zagatto cars, well also, ahhh, I better get another beer.

15. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Better get some Nomex as well...cuz there's the Touring cars too! Oh, and the Nembo spiders.

FYI. Legend has it that Wilt Chamberlain drove his Ghibli in the Cannonball Baker drive ALONE and set an elapsed time record of 36 hours. But we all know what stories Wilt came up with on numbers...

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maserati's are tourers, Ferraris are GT's.

Thus ensure you buy what you want otherwise the car may disapoint. Even the Maserati Bora is a tourer and was always intended to be one.

Many people have misunderstood the late 60's and 70's Maserati's for a long time and they get a bad reputation for not been fast enough ... totally unfair as they were never intended to be the fastest.

Pete

17. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Collector Trader Online has three Ghiblis...$33k (coupe), $50k (coupe), and $118k (spider)!!

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sorry Dale, had to move the thread. I left a redirect for it back in the "Vintage Ferrari" section though.

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    THAT is one beautiful car. As long as you don't get pizzed when the masses keep asking you about your Corvette...

It's amazing that non-car people will consistantly mis-identify a car this way. I had two non-car friends see a photo of a 330 GTC and independantly ask if I was going to buy an old Corvette.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    gumble, gumble, gumble :)